Medical

Me and my partner are on medication, and are moving to Gran Canaria in a few weeks and although I can get our prescriptions sent from my pharmacy eventually we would like to obtain them from GC , could anyone advise on  the procedure ? I am 62 so free prescriptions but not obtaing the state pension yet, my partner is 53 and diabetic and is exempt from prescription charges also, we would obviously like the same arrangement when moved over but cannot seem to get a comprehensive  answer ! Any help would be much appreciated.

How will you get health cover in Spain. Will you work? If so I believe that meds are payable when collecting at the pharmacy. How much depends on the health area and your situation.
If you are getting private insurance health care then you will have to discuss with them what cover you will need and can afford.

I would suggest you call DWP, Overseas Office, and ask them.  It is they who pay the £3,000 when they issue an S1 which provides 'free cover' in Spain  for qualified Brits

Note the S1 coverage is for all of those who are in receipt of a UK state retirement pension and wish to live in in Spain. You do not sound as if you are from the age of you both.
UK Healthcare Team on 191 218 1999

RibeiraSacra :

Note the S1 coverage is for all of those who are in receipt of a UK state retirement pension and wish to live in in Spain. You do not sound as if you are from the age of you both.
UK Healthcare Team on 191 218 1999

The S! also  covers some at least who have incapacity / dsablement benefit allowances etc. (As I said they will know as they will be the ones who would pay for the 'free cover.')

So ask DWP then you will know of that applies to youi.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll call the UK healthcare team and see what they say, thanks a lot ,

Good luck, hope they give you the news you want.

Hi,
No luck with that number because I imagine it’s a Spanish Healthcare team that deals with ex pats , so need to over there ! There is very little info available here in the UK  in preparation for moving to GC , Typical !

martincave :

Hi,
No luck with that number because I imagine it’s a Spanish Healthcare team that deals with ex pats , so need to over there ! There is very little info available here in the UK  in preparation for moving to GC , Typical !

There is information, its getting hold of the right person in the office. It doesn't matter if you come over you will still need to sort it out with people in the UK.

martincave :

Hi,

The number is correct, but you need to put a 0 in front of it if dialling from the UK; if calling from abroad, then 0044 for the UK country code then the 191 etc.

Martin.

I just called that number in UK from Spain for you,  and they explained in very simple terms what you are required to do.

If either of you are in receipt of a benefit then call your benefit office (number on their letters to you) and if you are elegible they will arange an S1 for you with DWP Newcastle.   

If you are not in receipt of a benefit then free cover is not available in Spain for you, that include prescription costs.

Hope that resolves your questions.

Hi John,
Thanks for doing that , my partner has just applied for benefits for a medical condition which is just going through the system, so I will call this team to see what is the next move,
Many thanks Martin

Hi everyone , it’s been a long time organising my own medical cover , finally have cover with DKV from September, so I can now proceed to obtain Residencia! Hopefully !,,,
But the problem remains for my partner who is diabetic, not any medical insurance company will accept him as a client , he has his NIE etc etc ,owns a property here but if he doesn’t soon obtain Residencia he will be forced to leave GC for a period of time , ridiculous system here, because he had private cover in the UK for many years !
Any help would be appreciated.