Departure From YVR (Vancouver, Canada) to PP & Airline

Hello guys, I am worried that I'll have a problem boarding the plane to Phnom Penh if I don't have either an Ordinary (business) or e-Visa (tourist) in my Passport prior to leaving.

I contacted the Cambodian Embassy in Washington and they told me that they would need a letter from a Cambodian employer on company letterhead in order for me to get the Ordinary visa through them.

That's not possible as I won't secure a job until after I get there.

So, my question to the group is this...

If I get this tourist visa through CambodiaOnlineVisa.org for the purpose of making sure that I'll have no problem leaving for Phnom Penh, then once I arrive at the airport, will I be able to get the Ordinary visa anyways?

Or, would I only be able to use this tourist visa which I can renew only once, then after leaving the country and returning to get the Ordinary visa then 1 year EB visa/work permit after securing a job?

Let me know the best course of action.

Thanks in advance!

Hello.

Your second option is a valid one, although a lot of hassle.

You can get a visa on arrival at PP airport, tick the box Ordinary visa and pay $35, that's it. Don't forget a passport photo. If someone asks tell them you will stay longer and are looking for a job, therefor you need the Ordinary visa.

Within one month you  need to get an extension of stay EOS. If you have no job by then apply for a EG [general] EOS for 6 months, that is for job seekers. After 6 months, if not found a job, you have to leave the country but can come back.

If you have a job within one month you should apply for an EB [business] extension, which requires a letter from your employer with an official stamp on it. Work permit can be done on line and has nothing to do with the extension. Extensions are a matter of the Interior Ministry, work permits of the Labour Ministry.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

I forgot to answer this question. It is impossible to change a tourist visa for a Ordinary visa. Tourist visas can be extended once for 30 days and prohibit employment.

The embassy said you need a employer's letter "if they provide your visa". Forget about that, as a Canadian citizen you can get a visa on arrival at PP airport.

Cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe!

What you said makes sense and confirms much of what I already know.

So, if I was to get the e-Visa online then I wouldn't be able to conceal that when I arrive at the Phnom Penh airport and get the Ordinary visa as I would already have got the e-Visa through the internet before leaving, correct?

In other words, immigration at the PP airport would know that I got the e-Visa online previously...

Worst case, I think the airline in Vancouver would require me to have a return air ticket to Vancouver if in case I can't get the VOA.

I don't have that but I have an onward bus ticket to Vietnam.

Perhaps, they have a waiver which can be signed which releases them from liability in case I need to leave the country because I can't get a VOA.

Anyways, I have documents from official websites which all state that I can get the VOA due to me meeting the requirements and am bringing those with me to the airport, along with proof that I have more than enough money to buy a ticket back to Vancouver. Plus, I have proof that I've got the first 2 nights booked at a guesthouse.

richenglishteacher27 wrote:

Thanks Joe!

What you said makes sense and confirms much of what I already know.

So, if I was to get the e-Visa online then I wouldn't be able to conceal that when I arrive at the Phnom Penh airport and get the Ordinary visa as I would already have got the e-Visa through the internet before leaving, correct?

In other words, immigration at the PP airport would know that I got the e-Visa online previously...

Worst case, I think the airline in Vancouver would require me to have a return air ticket to Vancouver if in case I can't get the VOA.

I don't have that but I have an onward bus ticket to Vietnam.

Perhaps, they have a waiver which can be signed which releases them from liability in case I need to leave the country because I can't get a VOA.

Anyways, I have documents from official websites which all state that I can get the VOA due to me meeting the requirements and am bringing those with me to the airport, along with proof that I have more than enough money to buy a ticket back to Vancouver. Plus, I have proof that I've got the first 2 nights booked at a guesthouse.

The bold part of the quote is what is usually done. You sign that the airline will not responsible for a return ticket in case of refusal to enter the country. Bus ticket is not on name, is it? If it's on your name it is sufficient proof of onward travel.
If the bus ticket is not on name, get a cheap ticket to a neighbouring country like Thailand. One way PP to BKK costs about $50, so not too much money invested. Don't take an open ticket, make a fixed booking on your name, that's all you need.

The electronic tourist visa is stapled in your passport by the airline or outward immigration. So PP Immi knows you got it and it's useless for your purpose.

You have to come in with no visa to obtain an Ordinary visa at the airport.Your onward ticket should be more than 2 months away, so no questions asked, you need an Ordinary visa.

I expect no problems, you're Canadian citizen and unless there is a red flag in the immigration computer there should be no problem. Immi officers here are friendly and cooperative, don't worry.

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

What do you mean when you state "bus ticket on name" though?

I think we're good to go bro.

I'll see you in PP,

Rich.

A bus ticket is only considered proof of onward travel if it is carrying your name.

They mean a fixed ticket, date and your name mentioned.

If that is impossible get a cheap airline ticket for a fixed flight more than two months after arrival.
This then also proves that you need an Ordinary visa.

Have a safe journey.

Joe

On the bus ticket is my full name.

That's what you mean right?

richenglishteacher27 wrote:

On the bus ticket is my full name.

That's what you mean right?

Yep  :top: