It is not for everyone but for some it is everything!

I have had some comments recently that the negativity here is turning people off!

Lets turn that around.  Thus, this thread.  Tell us what you LOVE about life here. I will tolerate nothing negative, only tell us the good stuff.

I will start:

The  " in the moment", love of life here.  It contrasts with the  go go go of other countries. It is all about well today I can do this..... so I will and tomorrow will take care of itself.

I love the DANCING..... its my passion. I love the music.   The culture is dance and music. Watch kids, they  just dive into dancing as they are born to do it. They just move to  it and go for it.   

I love the weather, even when it is rainy!  Its warm people.

I love the access to beaches and pools, when I want to go I can.

I love the sense of family and community.  They come together easily and often!

To para-phrase an old saying,  Into every rain a little sun must shine.   Thanks for being one of rays of light! I love the sound of palm fronds swishing in the breeze, kids laughing as they leave school. The clacking of dominos amidst the rowdy comments & yells.  The construction workers who carry clean clothes to change into after work to go home looking clean & neat. Then, the local roadside fruit & vegetable stands have their wares arranged like colorful sculptures. The smiles and warmth of the people in the little towns & villages outside the major tourist areas.  The weather and yes, we have a change of seasons. They are not dramatic,but they do exist, subtle, but there.  There are many things that I enjoy about the DR, these are but a few.

Great answer!

Inspiring and warm thoughts by both you and Planner....I am reading with a smile on my face. It's not for everyone but that's what make us all have something in common and the same passion and dream of wanting to leave where we are from and move to the Caribbean...to some its just a vacation....but to us its a way of life we yearn for💙🌴🌞

I was starting to get the same sense  but I said to myself this optional and when it's time I will unsubscribe. I found my sell being put on the defensive when people commented on the threads and not the cloth of what was being stated. That is why I posted about citizenship. I am much more afraid of twisting my ankle on some of these side walks than anything else.
Part of the joy of moving to a new country was finding out for myself but I do have an open mind to learn from others. Has anyone raced against others family members when a mango just fell from the tree ? My family makes fun of me because I will not pet a pig , ride a donkey or eat the feet of a chicken ! Yes, I know what I am missing !
Dominican people are so talented that they can even fix duct tape , they just want to get paid for thier time. It's feast or famine for most since they never know when crops fail or a bacteria runs through thier livestock or when tourist seaons will end ( some are out out tramposos ) but not the majority .
I was missing something living in a small town , which I have identified as intellectual stimulation , just look Iooking for the exchange of ideas on various subjects without ego displacement. I have learned somethings that I never new before and will have some questions in the future. I know someone will always get the best of me from time to time but can not allow that to change me from quien yo soy. Thank you planner , there are some very descent people on this site but i think a fair amount of people sit on the sidelines because of the issue you raised which might be why they ex pats and perfer peace over pettiness
John s

In the game of life, the offense scores many more points then the defense.  Better to be a quarter back than a free safety.

Back to the spirit of this thread please. Thanks!

We don't live there quite yet. But, we just bought our apartment. It is up in the hills of Sosua. We can look out and see a canopy of green, and the sea in the distance. I am hoping for a slower, more focused, more mindful life. Thinking about how we use the resources of the country. How we integrate without trying to change the country. How we can find ways to contribute.

I love the contrast between Santiago and Sosua. Santiago sprawls. The traffic is dense. The downtown is filled with people, foods, buildings, monuments. You can see mountains everywhere. Traveling from Santiago to Sosua, through the little villages that hang on the hillsides, through Puerto Plata, the cable car, all the businesses to be seen. Riding the bus....so cold! Sharing a guagua (sp) with new people. Kids with shy smiles.

The baseball field in Sosua. Kids play ball with next to nothing, smiles on their faces.

"Wedding Dresses" of ice on Presidente. Quipe and yucca. Avacados as big as your head.

The sun so hot you can't breath and then the icy cold of a surprise air conditioned space.

The sound of my texts dinging in when I hit a hot spot. The sound of my phone not ringing. Not surfing the net and instead, talking with husband, or a new friend.

I cannot wait to start the journey. February 24th. 😎😁🕉

^^^Ditto

Great post!!