Dying in Mexico as an expat

My husband and I plan to live in Mexico, hopefully until we die! But we have no idea how the death of an expat is handled. Does anyone here know? It's not a happy topic but something that will happen to all of us eventually :)

There is a topic already that discusses this.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=581061

Please have a look there.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

romaniac wrote:

There is a topic already that discusses this.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=581061

Please have a look there.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you,  that was helpful. The further discussion about doctors,  ambulances,  and hospitals was an eye opener. Good to be prepared since so different from US. Thanks again.

Interesting question as I plan to spend 6 out of 12 months there and buy traveler's insurance (I will still have my Medicare in the US).   One thing I know is that they are very compassionate with foreigners .  I, too, would like to know about this as well.

rubytue60 wrote:

Interesting question as I plan to spend 6 out of 12 months there and buy traveler's insurance (I will still have my Medicare in the US).   One thing I know is that they are very compassionate with foreigners .  I, too, would like to know about this as well.

Hi,  ruby
What travelers insurance are you thinking about? I've read about private insurance in Mexico and it seems expensive plus has age limits I think.... in addition to pre-existing conditions limits. We will keep our Medicare coverage, and supplementals, too, so paying for all that insurance would take a nice chunk of change....

Hi to all,  confusion about insurance. Traveler's insurance is for people travelling not residing fulltime in Mexico.

Also, my sister-in-law who worked at UMUM as a underwriter told me that you can't keep your medicare if you don't reside in the USA.

This is just a comment no legal advice.

My wife and I are living fulltime in Mexico and like they say we'll see at that time but lots of funerales options exist like in the USA prepaid, your consulate in Mexico will help to get the proper paperwork (death certficate), etc...

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Hi,
You can keep your Medicare even if you don't reside in the States, you just have to travel to the States to use it. You cannot have a PPO or HMO managed care or Medicare Advantage Plan, because they are administered by individual States, regular Medicare is a Federal program. Medigap or Medicare Supplement plans are also still valid, but you need to check with your individual plan about your coverage, but Medicare A and B will continue as long as you are a citizen and pay your premiums.
We have purchased a medivac plan which will fly us to any hospital in the States of our choosing on a commercial or air ambulance, if needed. They will also fly your remains back to the States. Another option to consider.

I use AIG but only come to Mexico for a couple of months each year.   It's very affordable and gives me that bit of extra protection (especially the evacuation rider).   But it is NOT a substitute for insurance in Mexico if you plan to live there permanently.

Yes Jan,  I have had experience of my husband dying.  The local Consulate will be very helpful with all the legal work and paperwork so get to know them and where they are located.
My husband died in a clinic in Acapulco.  The doctor called the funeral home to transport the body.  He was cremated so I did not have to think of a place to bury him or try to send the body back to the USA.  Some people do choose to do that. 
I strongly recommend having a Will.........Testimento.  A Notary does this.  It is a bit costly but I feel very important to have .  Make certain it is translated into English and in Spanish. 
My husband knew that he was dying I think and a week or so before, he wrote a hand written will himself and had it witnessed by 4 people.  The Notary accepted that and used it when preparing my will. 
Please let me know if I can add anything else.  Jeannie

Jean Ann wrote:

Yes Jan,  I have had experience of my husband dying.  The local Consulate will be very helpful with all the legal work and paperwork so get to know them and where they are located.
My husband died in a clinic in Acapulco.  The doctor called the funeral home to transport the body.  He was cremated so I did not have to think of a place to bury him or try to send the body back to the USA.  Some people do choose to do that. 
I strongly recommend having a Will.........Testimento.  A Notary does this.  It is a bit costly but I feel very important to have .  Make certain it is translated into English and in Spanish. 
My husband knew that he was dying I think and a week or so before, he wrote a hand written will himself and had it witnessed by 4 people.  The Notary accepted that and used it when preparing my will. 
Please let me know if I can add anything else.  Jeannie

Iam so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. We aren't in Mexico yet,  but hope to be by end of summer. We will definitely get a will drawn up there as you suggest. Both of us agree that cremation makes the most sense no matter where we are, but especially so when transport issues are involved. Thank you for sharing. I will keep you in mind if further questions come up. In meantime, best wishes for good health and happiness ❤

Hello All,

This is Melanie from San Miguel de Allende. I do a public seminar three times a year on How to Be Prepared for Medical Emergencies in Mexico.

Here are a few important points on Death in Mexico.

1. It is important to have established a relationship with a GP or PCP. He / she will need to sign the death certificate, indicating the cause of death. If you don´t have a doctor at the time of death, the body will be taken to the morgue and an autopsy will be performed.

2. All deaths need to be reported to Mexican Immigration (if you are a temp. or perm resident), IMSS or Seguro Popular (if you are members), the Civil Registry = Registro Civil (death certificate), Canadian Embassy Warden or US Consular Agent.

3. The following persons need to be notified: the executor of the Mexican will, the health advocate named in the Mexican Advanced Directive.

Hope this information is useful!
Melanie Lansing

Thanks for that info Melanie! If you are on a tourist permit will a Mexican will be necessary or valid?

Hi, this is related to the WILL aspect, we are Canadians (permanent residents in Mexico) and our notary in Quebec said to have a WILL made in Mexico for what we own in Mexico not all over the world since criterias/laws/regulations are different from one country to another or from one US State to another or from one Canadian province to another.

So in our case we don't have a Mexican will since we don't own proprety, don't have Mexican bank account, the rented apartment is fully furnished and for what  personal items we have the total value is not worth making up a WILL.

Cremation is the best way (cost/efficient) anywhere in the world.

But maybe Melanie could reply with a better knowledge or Sonia Diaz.

Gracias y buen dia a todos, GyC.

mexicogc wrote:

Hi, this is related to the WILL aspect, we are Canadians (permanent residents in Mexico) and our notary in Quebec said to have a WILL made in Mexico for what we own in Mexico not all over the world since criterias/laws/regulations are different from one country to another or from one US State to another or from one Canadian province to another.

So in our case we don't have a Mexican will since we don't own proprety, don't have Mexican bank account, the rented apartment is fully furnished and for what  personal items we have the total value is not worth making up a WILL.

Cremation is the best way (cost/efficient) anywhere in the world.

But maybe Melanie could reply with a better knowledge or Sonia Diaz.

Gracias y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Thank you! Very helpful info. We will be renting maybe forever so this makes sense. Cremation is the way to go for sure. Hope that is way off in your future and ours too  😁

As you have nothing to will anyone, why would you want a will?
If however you owned property, then a Mexican will is a must.