New to KL - living arrangements, nurseries, kids' stuff

We will be moving to KL in a few months and are now trying to find out the basic stuff. I have heard that there are areas favoured by expats (Bangsar, Mont Kiara etc.). Any opinions what are the nicest for a family with small children (1 and 3)?

I have never been to KL but have been an expat elswhere before. I would love to live in an area where at least somewhere is walkable - say a corner shop, local restaurant etc to avoid packing the kids in the car several times a day... Are there any outdoor/indoor playgrounds in these areas other than in the malls?

Also we think we would like to live in a house - but seems like most people are in condos. What are your experiences in houses vs. condos with kids? We are not looking for luxury but somewhere small and comfy yet safe =)

And lastly, recommendations for a friendly nursery for the 3 year old that does not charge astronomical fees would be very welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Im Bharat from India... was looking for a place to stay in KL a few weeks back and the feedback I got from most PPL I knew in KL that its not advisable to stay in a independent house even thou they are cheap and some are really nice and cozy.

The reason people stay in Condo's is becoz in almost all condo's u have a security. Apart from that the facilities and a chance to meet more people. If you get a good condo then u will have a play area a pool and so on.

I think a condo does make sense from all my research and analysis.

Hi,
We live in Seputeh which is very close to Bangsar. It's a nice area that may be you should consider...lots of nurseries, a few local shops, a play ground, walkable to midvalley. We live in a house which is on a gated street (with security) and it's great, we share a pool and a tennis court with 9 other houses and it's safe enough for the kids to play together in the street.
Bangsar is also really nice and you can walk around the shops which aren't all mall based and it has lots of restaurants. We have friends in a condo in Bangsar and they like it. The condos are better than you think and have excellent facilities, but if like us, you just don't fancy living in a condo, there are other options available.

Thanks a lot for these tips! The facilities the condos offer sound very tempting, so I think we will have to take those into consideration too.