Using foreign licence in Thailand

I haven't read any recent posts in regards to the subject of using foreign drivers licence in Thailand but as I can tell you that if your country is included in the UN treaty then as a tourist your are fine. Your insurance of any type will not be void which I can say because yesterday I had an accident at a roundabout in which a thai boy on a motorbike as all the other thai riders and drivers decided to go straight through as I was entering following the maked lane. So as a consequence he clipped the front left side which stuffed the guard and scratched some other parts. He wasn't going too fast luckily and had bugger all damage on his bike and body. The insurance man was called and the claim was done no problem but even though it was his fault to avoid going to the police station and paying 400 baht I had to accept a 50/50 fault lol. Which doesn't really matter that much as he will still pay the excess. So that is my very recent experience in regards to accident insurance in Thailand. If you are staying longer you need to get Thai licence as has been mentioned in another thread.

I would definitely check with your own insurance company to make sure you understand the rules and how they apply when you are driving in a foreign country.  Anecdotal stories are fun but won't hold much weight with law enforcement.  How long you can drive with a foreign driver's license, in conjunction with an international driver's license, is determined by Thai law and you should get a Thai license if you plan to stay here for any length of time.

Is this a Thai insurance company or one from Australia?

I had an accident about a year ago. In my case the insurance company paid for everything, because the other driver was a Thai Sungtao driver and just drove away. When any vehicle is registered it is required to have at least government insurance, I've never heard of a 50/50 split. I did file a police report, in Chiang Mai, which cost 40 baht, not 400.

It is thai insurance.

Yeah every country is the same with having government insurance but I am pretty sure like australia that it only covers medical expense. I guess the insurance man was talking bullshit when he told about pay 400 baht. I don't know so you have to believe him to some extent at the time. The excess will still be paid for by the other bloke though  as he doesn't have insurance. And the 50% of my fault was obviously not just going straight through the roundabout like everyone else. lol

I am not one to just repeat stuff other people say and I won't say somerthing about law unless it is law. A tourist in Thailand who's country is part of the UN treat on roads can use their home licence!! If it was not the case then the insurance man would have told me already. They would not bother processing a claim that was not going to go through.

If you are a tourist you don't need an international PERMIT if your country is on the UN treaty.

Village Farrang ,

What if my foreign Lic expired recently , Do you know what I'm up against getting a license in Thailand ?
Or Anyone ?

Go to the local Land Transport Office with the following.  Take 2 copies of everything just in case they want more than one.

Passport and copies of information page and visa page.

Resident address certificate from Immigration for obtaining drivers license.

Medical certificate from clinic (just ask for medical certificate to obtain drivers license).

Just in case take along your expired foreign license with copy front and back of license.  If your lucky they may not require you take all the tests if they accept license.  Otherwise you will have to go through all the training and test.

If they accept your expired license then you will only need to take color blind, depth perception and reaction time tests.  Then sit through 45 minute movie, pay the fee and then wait for picture to be taken and license issued.

What he said  :top:

Thanks for info much appreciated

hi there, in my case I was asked to get an embassy attestation of my licence (it was not a card; licence issued on a sheet of paper in English with dates and class of vehicle clearly prescribed); is this the usual practice? or should I try a different LTO office?
Any advice would be useful.

Nithin, who asked you? Which embassy?

Returning to the original question about foreign (home country) driver's licences, usually people get their international driver permits (IDL) from their home country before they leave.

If you get here without an IDL, then I suppose your embassy or consulate may be able to take care of that... Was that your question?

Hello,

No just obtaining a license after my US license expired , Steps needed to do so.

This is the response I got :
Go to the local Land Transport Office with the following.  Take 2 copies of everything just in case they want more than one.

Passport and copies of information page and visa page.

Resident address certificate from Immigration for obtaining drivers license.

Medical certificate from clinic (just ask for medical certificate to obtain drivers license).

Just in case take along your expired foreign license with copy front and back of license.  If your lucky they may not require you take all the tests if they accept license.  Otherwise you will have to go through all the training and test.

If they accept your expired license then you will only need to take color blind, depth perception and reaction time tests.  Then sit through 45 minute movie, pay the fee and then wait for picture to be taken and license issued.