Urgent help in Job switch in Malaysia

Hi Guys,

I am an IT professional working with an IT company in Selangor.

Its been 4 months being in Malaysia and I have found an opportunity that I need to purse. I am still on my probation period and my contract says I can leave anytime and need to serve a two weeks of notice.

My questions are:

1. My new employer asks me to ask my current employer if they do not cancel my EP before they have the EP application processed(i.e for 3-4 weeks). Is this possible? If I resign can my current employer cancel current EP after 3-4 weeks?

2. I read about NOC, if I ask NOC from my current employer will that help in EP process for next employer? Also, what exactly NOC is for?

3. They require me to have High commission stamp on my Marriage certificate. But in India we get online certificate with Digital signature. How to proceed with this step?

I require your wise advice and guidance.

Many thanks in advance.

Yatin89 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am an IT professional working with an IT company in Selangor.

Its been 4 months being in Malaysia and I have found an opportunity that I need to purse. I am still on my probation period and my contract says I can leave anytime and need to serve a two weeks of notice.

My questions are:

1. My new employer asks me to ask my current employer if they do not cancel my EP before they have the EP application processed(i.e for 3-4 weeks). Is this possible? If I resign can my current employer cancel current EP after 3-4 weeks?

If you give 2 weeks notice your EL will be cancelled during thst time. But you need a No Objection Certificate from current employer and they can tske as long as they want - or refuse until you pay back their expenses to hire you. Check your contract to see the terms.

2. I read about NOC, if I ask NOC from my current employer will that help in EP process for next employer? Also, what exactly NOC is for

See above. It's to release you and allow nee employer to submit an application

3. They require me to have High commission stamp on my Marriage certificate. But in India we get online certificate with Digital signature. How to proceed with this step?

You need apostile original.

I require your wise advice and guidance.

Many thanks in advance.

You will probably find immigration will take at least one month and so you will need to lea e Malaysia and het a VDR to enter for the new job. If you are Category III therr is 3 month cooling off

Thank you for the reply.

Even if I get a NOC from my current employer I have to leave and reenter?

Yes because you wont have any legal visa to be in Malaysia.

Because your new EP will take time and may not be approved.

Be polite to your current employer to maximise their cooperation

New application will need tax clearance as well

To cancel EP in your case will need to submit airline ticket showing departure date and EP will be shortened to that date

Do be aware you may get blacklisted because of your actions

Didn't got you please can you elaborate a lil bit ?

There  is no guarantee immigration will approve a new EP after such short time in Malaysia. In effect you could be blacklisted and not able to work here for several years. It depends on how current employer reacts and latest directive at immigration department. It does not happen often but always a risk.

Always best to do at least one year before  changing because contracts are viewed seriously in Malaysia

Could you specify which actions I should be cautious about?

I see

@Gravitas - What if a company let you off after 3 months. And I finds another job during my notice period. Will the risk of blacklist be the same? Because initial 3 months are for both company and employee is they didn't like something, They can let go.

Also, have there been any incidents when a person is blacklisted?

Of course it's different if the company releases you. But after spending so much money recruiting a person, they usually don't do this.

Blacklisting is a private matter and most people don't quit after 3-4 months. Any company can decide to report an employee to immigration if they are not happy with their behaviour. They also can do this if a worker absconds from a job and contract. That is the reason why immigration has to have a NOC.

Without an NOC a person is effectively blacklisted.

Thank you so much for explaining it in detail.