Building Permits in Puerto Rico

We have purchased land near Aguada on the beach.  We have received a bid for building a home from a local company.  The bid includes

Schematic Design architectural            $5,950
Construction Documents                       $4,462
Construction Contract Admin               $1,4875
Initial Payment                                         $2,975
  WIth Tax TOTAL                                 $15,470

ADDITIONAL FEES
Submissions of construction Permits          $5,950
Geotechnical Exploration and Study            $2,600
Topography Survey Plan                               $1,750

I am wondering if these numbers seem reasonable for building in Puerto Rico.  I have read some of the other forum questions about PR and I have seen $4,000 as the building permit fee. 

Thanks for the help.

Hi, sounds to me that your contractor is charging you way hight. We built our house and all the plans, permits and insurance was aproximate $4500. My recommendation is to check with several contractors before committing to someone. Try to find a deliniante in your area, he will design your plans and have all the conections to get the permits. Get the ARPE insurance yourself, this way if you have to fire a contractor the insurance is yours not the contractor.

My numbers:

Plans design: $1800 (this included ARPE approval)
Permits: $1000 (build, construction and move in)
ARPE insurance: $1500 (Fondo Seguro Construction)
CRIM: $200 (municipal permit)

This was for everything including submitting all the documents by the delineante and all the architect approvals.

The only 2 documents we personally did was the insurance (fondo del seguro, workers comp insurance) and the CRIM.

The fees are based on the estimated house value, our house was valued at approximately $100K. The folks at ARPE will determine the value based on the plans submitted. This usually is lower than the actual value of your finish house( ours appraised at almost double).

Hope this helps, send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the information

You seem to be getting Gringo tourist prices!

Hello ADLIN20

I would like to speak with you if possible as I'm just starting the permit process in Aguadilla
What is the best way to contact you?

Hi!

Who did you use for plans, permits and build? Thanks

Wow,
That's way to high. It is best to talk with several different contractors. It's best that you pay for the insurance yourself in case you need to fire the contractor. I will try to find the contractors information that we used and then call him to see if he works in your area. I will get back to later.

Hector Muniz did my brother's house in Rincon. His phone number is
(787)466-8592. He did a great job and my brother's house looks awesome.

Thank you so much for a builder's name! We are so excited to be shopping for land next week. Jeronimo   :)

Wow, those numbers are extremely high!

Architectural design and construction drawings should be anywhere from $4,000- $7,000(unless you're building a mansion) and $1,000 for misc expenses/permits. All the other fees are fluff. The architect will apply for permits as part of his process, no need for all of those extra fees.

As others have said, those numbers are on the high side.  For my house, I first hired a Surveyor and I'm now working with an Architect who are both extremely professional and reasonably priced. I highly recommend them both. As for a contractor, the Architect and I are first talking with Eco-Precast to see if that would be a viable option for what I want. That's basically plan A and my preferred choice. If that doesn't work, then the Architect and I will work on getting bids from contractors.

The Surveyor's name is Ruth Trujillo (7876058662)

The Architect's name is Eliza Burgos (7876677323)

Feel free to call Eliza and tell her I sent you. She's such a pleasure to work with! Also, feel free to DM me if you're interested in more details!

Licensed architect that belong to the AIA use a standard fee schedule. The fee is typically 10-12% of construction cost for a custom home.

Some builders will also have an architect on staff for much less but, then you have the fox in the hens house issue.

Is the 10-12% fee solely for design and plans, or does it include project management as well, if you know?

Thanks.

Take a look at this link from the AIA. It should answer most questions.

https://network.aia.org/HigherLogic/Sys … d0d0c06270

Thanks! Great help.

I live in Aguada and am a designer that has specialized in space planning and interior design.  Would be happy to help you review your plans once you have your site.  Merry Christmas and welcome to the community!  Mary

@NobodyCares  Hello can you tell me if h Muniz is still building homes in Rincon ?

Well NobodyCares: Remember that in PR it's comon to use both mom and dads last name, so many people named Hectot Rosado without his second last name will be dificult to find...still, here's one that appears in Linkedin working for a building company, don't know if it's the one you seek: Héctor Muñiz Rivera

Operations Manager at UPM Group Building Solutions, Inc.

Puerto Rico...for a full list of PR Contractors download the PDF list,

do your google search with the following words "Listado Registro de Contratista" ...hope this helps.