Help...milano

Hi there!

I need your help

so to make it short, I have to give an answer for a phd position in Milano before the 10th of June (just get the email today)...I know a bit Italy because I went there few times on holiday but absolutely not Milano! So for those who know Milano I would like to know what do you think about this city, is it easy to get well into it and meet people without speaking italian, how is the milano way of life, is the cultural life intense, how expensive is the life, how high are the taxes and so on...

thanks for your reply

Helene

Don't know much about Milan, but maybe by bumping somebody else will chime in.

I do know it consistently ranks as one of the most expensive cities in the world (top 15.)

Hi Helene,

first thing to do is to have a look to the expatriate blogs in Italy

I hope you'll find interresting posts ;)

Hi Helene,

I've only ever been to Milan for a weekend, but from my experience, cost of living was pretty expensive. Most of my friends who lived there paid upwards of 400 euros for a bed in a double room, drinks when we went out were all at least 7 euros, etc.

Speaking English was what actually made us some friends while we were there. The people we met were all really friendly and patient with the group's mixed levels of Italian.

While I loved the cathedral and touristy spots, the city was too big for my liking and always cluttered with traffic.

Obviously a weekend spent there doesn't equal the experience of someone who's lived there, but that was my experience. Hope it helps.

Hi!

thanks for your opinion special k...and Julien I have checked the blogs but didnt find info about taxes and stuff (well dont have so much time to look for it also!!!) but thanks to Laurent for the emails...

I have decided to apply, I have sent everything, now i am crossing the fingers...

Hi

I live in Piemonte Italy and only have limited knowledge of Milan. However my feelings are that the cost of living as regards food and drink are cheaper all over Italy when compared to the UK. I found Milan to be a modern and exciting city to be in.

I hope this helps a bit

Hi!

thanks to those who replied...anyway I will tell you soon how life is in milano :D

I am going to be there for 3 years from the 1st of october...first impression...housing is really expensive!

cheers
Helene

Good luck let us know how you get on

Hi Helene,

Just following up your earlier request for help. How are things going in Milan? Also where are you studying?

Jamest
The Italian Blog
aka littleitalyblogspot

Hi Jamest,

Well I am right now on a 6 months period in Basel, but so far I enjoyed Milano... Obviously things get better as soon as I could speak a bit of italian, and when I left 2 weeks ago I was sad.
Of course there are few points that make it hard sometimes such as the permanent traffic, the risk you take when you ride your bike (but I did it everyday for 2 years and I survived!), the cost of living. Also it might be annoying sometimes that everything you want to do just takes ages. Also research at the university (am studying at Politecnico) is not that good because they dont have enough funds and I feel sometimes that people are just fed up trying to work instead of doing a good one.
However, now that I am away, I really miss the permanent "italian chaos", the aperitivi, speaking italian (such a beautiful language), my funny italian colleagues, the relax way of living, italian coffee, italian ice cream, pizza...(ok to sum up, italian food!) and many little things that made my stay there really pleasant...fortunately I will go back there for few more months afterward.

Cheers
Helene

Hi Helene,

Thanks for the response. I'm sure Basel will be quite a change to the 'chaos' of Milan. I know what you mean about university life. I work at Statale, near San Babila mostly, and it makes me crazy at times. At times? Most of the time really.

Regards and good luck.

jamest