Best beach

I know this topic is probably too touristy for this forum but I'm coming to visit and start looking at the DR as possible retirement home and figured I might as well start with the nicest areas and go from there.  My plan is to come for 3 weeks this summer.  Spend a week in Santo Domingo, a week on the north shore and a week in Punta Cana or east side.  Where do you all consider the best beach?  What is the best part of Santo Domingo to stay and use as a jumping off point for scouting things and seeing what the city has to offer a potential expat?  I won't get into Punta Cana since the views here seem to be pretty ‘strong'.  :). Thanks in advance.

Ok lots of questions here.

You are doing well to check out various areas!  In Santo Domingo you should stay in the Colonial Zone. You can walk to many restaurants, cafes, clubs etc and there are a number of museums and cathedrals!

Best beach - that depends what you like.  Sosua bay is stunning , lots of restaurants and shops right on the beach.

If you are looking for quiet and seclusion that is not the spot.

Cabarete has a beautiful beach with lots of water sport activities.

Punta Cana also has many beautiful beaches. I don't know their names.

The closest to Santo Domingo is Boca Chica. It's a very nice beach but not quiet either.

The north coast, East coast and Santo Domingo are all very different experiences.  Don't let anyone tell you what is good or bad they are just different!

Find what works best for you!!!

Hi,

I think the best place in Santo Domingo for you is the Zona Colonial, the historic quarter of the capital built by the Spanish in the 16th century. The reason is that nearly the whole of the zone is a pededestrian area, you will be able to go out of your hotel and stroll in a quiet and secure environment. There are other parts of the city where you could find decent hotels but once hitting the sidewalk you will find yourself in busy large avenues, with some air pollution and noise.

If you are interested in having some exposure to the Dominican life, it is better indeed to avoid Punta Cana/Bavaro, in my opinion, the spot is very touristy and lacks of real places of interest. 

In a 3 weeks time, I think it is a good idea to stay in Santo Domingo for some days.

The North Coast is of interest for you as there is a large English speaking community.

My piece of advice would be : do not miss Las Terrenas in the Samana Peninsula. You'll find many of the most beautiful landscapes of the DR, secluded beaches, fishermen,  waterfalls, hills covered with palm trees, nice countryside ... It is only 2 hours from Santo Domingo and it is close to the North coast you probably will want to visit.

Enjoy your stay !

Some of it depends on what you want the beach for ? How are your swimming skills, do you want to fish or just want a beautiful view ? I agree Sosua has minimal rocks ,restaurants and natrual beauty and good waves. Use Google earth so you can see rock structures close to the coast. Thier one pristine beach area that I know of but it is on the border with Haiti where there is ongoing conflicts and would not recommend it at this time.

Thank you for the replies.  We're definitely considering staying in Zona Colonial.  I didn't know it was a pedestrian area.  That's even better.  With regard to beaches, We like calm clear water for wading and shelling if that exists there.  Don't really do a lot of water sports or fishing.  I love the idea of staying in las Terrenas.  The mixture of expats intrigues me.   As always, I'm looking forward to visiting and hopefully making plans for a more permanent move in the near future.

Glad you got your answers!

My two cents.....

Im in Santo Domingo and i think its good to start vacationing here the first week as it's very busy and loud. Get this part over with.  But while here, two beaches to explore.....Boca Chica and Juan Dolio.  The busiest and loudest of the two is Boca Chica.  If youre looking for loud music instead of hearing the ocean waves, and brustling of wind against the palm trees then Boca Chica is the one for you.  I saw on a forum a while back advice given to take a cab the first time instead of a bus.  Not one to know my way out of a paper sack i tried the bus system anyway with absolutely NO problem whatsoever.  Taxi would cost approx 35 USD whereas bus is only $1.40...but you'll pay in pesos.  Have a taxi take you to the bus station for Boca Chica Express or to San Pedro bus station for Juan Dolio, the beach where you hear the waves roaring with thick rich white sand, smooth aquamarine water....etc...just came back yesterday from spending a night at a hotel $60 room on the beach.  Very nice!  Make sure the person taking your pesos knows you want to get off at la playa (the beach). You can PM me if you have questions.

Really appreciate the replies and detailed travel info.  Working on details to make it to DR July/Aug.

Awesome Earl,  good for you!!!!!