Difficulty of teaching english in Vietnam as a Vietnamese/American?

Hey Guys!

What is the difficulty of teaching english in Vietnam as a Vietnamese/American?

I am Vietnamese/American planning on moving to VIetnam. I have no Bachelor Degree or experience in teaching what so ever.  I plan on taking the Ninja Teacher 1 month TEFL program which guarantees a job right after the course is finished. I would like to know what are downfalls I could to face once I finish the course. I know I am going to face a lot of prejudices people who are going to judge me because I do not look foreign. I would like to know how bad is it?  I have read the salary is between 1k-2k a month. Em I going to make significantly lower? What other obstacle could I face?

Thank you

louiebui wrote:

I am Vietnamese/American planning on moving to VIetnam.

Strike one for teaching but maybe not for other occupations.

louiebui wrote:

I have no Bachelor Degree

A big swing and a miss!

louiebui wrote:

or experience in teaching what so ever

Probably strikes three.

louiebui wrote:

have read the salary is between 1k-2k a month. Em I going to make significantly lower?

A friend who left Vietnam at age 20, speaking only Vietnamese and Russian at the time, but graduated from Michigan State University told me that he made about $16/hour which is significantly lower than native speakers.  At that rate you would be hard pressed to make $1k/month let alone $2K.  My friend moved on to other entrepreneurial ventures which made him a lot more.

Thank you for you reply.
I do not know how true this is, But the TEFL course I was looking into. Said regardless of teaching experience TEFL would act as your teaching experience, also  if you have don't degree that's fine  a lot of school don't require this. I understand I won't be able to get a work permit and I would be working under the table because it requires a degree.  Other Occupations? Is there any other variety to work a English speaker in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam?

louiebui wrote:

Other Occupations? Is there any other variety to work a English speaker in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam?

I assumed you were bilingual.  If you are, there are some unique possibilities but if not there are obvious limitations.

louiebui wrote:

Thank you for you reply.
I do not know how true this is, But the TEFL course I was looking into. Said regardless of teaching experience TEFL would act as your teaching experience, also  if you have don't degree that's fine  a lot of school don't require this. I understand I won't be able to get a work permit and I would be working under the table because it requires a degree.  Other Occupations? Is there any other variety to work a English speaker in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam?

Hey Louie, let me correct your English here. You were lucky to learn English as a native in America, so you want to help the Vietnamese kids learn proper grammar, capitalization, punctuation, etc. too, yeah?
Good luck.

"Thank you for your reply.
I don't know how true this is, but the TEFL course I was looking into said that regardless of teaching experience, a TEFL certificate would act as your teaching experience. Also, if you don't have a degree that's fine because  a lot of schools don't require this. I understand I won't be able to get a work permit and I would be working under the table because teaching jobs require a degree.  Are there other occupations you suggest? Are there any other jobs for a native English speaker in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam?"

"Ninja Teacher"™ will guarantee you a job, but you do not know where that job will be located. You may be posted to a small town many miles outside Thai Binh, which is quite a distance from your preferred HCMC.
Press them on this concern and feel them out before paying for the course.

Best,
Aidan