Possible Job in Fort Buchanan

Hello All!  So I just checked my USAjobs account and I have been referred for a federal position in Fort Buchanan.  I know I'm jumping the gun because it's just a referral but its further than I've gotten before, and just thinking ahead.  I was just wondering what cities do people live in when working in Fort Buchanan?  I am a single mother of 2, and would be sending my kids to Antilles Elementary School.  I want to something safe and close to the base.  Thanks in advance!

I think Guynabo and Bayamon are the closest but I been seeing a lot of crime news lately so I would not recommend them for other than a local as you are not likely to be hardened enough for it. Mostly it is drug turf issues.

Thank you! So where would a go place be?

I would move more inland (hills) of those towns and surrounding areas. This may add 10 minute to commute but better security and a little better neighborhood

The Fed prison isn't "in" Buchanan, but close to it. FYI, you might want to live somewhere like Arecibo; nice town, and not far of a commute.

Take a look at this map and study some of the towns, this will help you orient yourself. Island is 100 miles long and 35 miles wide.
http://welcome.topuertorico.org/exploring.shtml

If you are working in the Fort or the jail, Aracibo is 1 hour away and a bad commute... Check out the San Patricio area.. lots of mid and high rise apartments at good prices...anything off the Martinez Nadal is good.  area called LOS FILTROS is also good; Torremar is expensive but well located.. anything along route 177 is also accessible to both Buchanan and the jail.  Catano  is good  as is  Bayamon  but the commute will be a bit longer.   get a good RE agent and stick to close areas... traffic on the 22 is very bad in the morning going east to Buchanan and not much better going west, frankly.   BTW: Antilles School would be a great job!!!

Thank you!  I will look into all of your suggestions!!  The job is starting at $45K, would I be able to live comfortably?

Jolo84 wrote:

Thank you!  I will look into all of your suggestions!!  The job is starting at $45K, would I be able to live comfortably?

That depends on your life style and consumption. Most people in PR live in a salary of 1/2 that. Make a budget. Here is an example, change numbers to match your situation:
Category    Monthly
Car Payment    $0.00
House, car insurance    $55.00
Life Insurance    $40.00
Entertainment    $150.00
Groceries    $500.00
Mortgage    $0.00
Property Tax    $41.67
Trash Removal    $10.00
Medical    $700.00
Pharmacy    $20.00
Electricity    $126.00
Water    $60.00
Propane    $20.00
Gasoline    $120.00
Cable/Internet    $90.00
Cell Phone    $100.00
Other    $50.00
Total Expenses    $2083

Items that are payed by the year like insurance have been divided by 12 so they fit the monthly model. If you own the car, and the house with no mortgage, likely you may have similar numbers.

Check with employer about health insurance cost, maybe contact finance to work the numbers for you for the deductions that will be taken out so you have some idea of what your home pay will be. We have high medical insurance because it is not thru work and we are older.

Yes, not luxury but that is a very good salary for Puerto Rico plus, it's a good environment. You should be able to get a 2b /b with nice amenities for under $1000.x month. Stay around the San Patricio area.

Thank you!

Did you make the move? How is it? Looking to potentially move as well, single mom of two also.