From mauritius / asking about security in SA

Hi there :)

I am planning to come in SA for work and wanted to know if we are safe in Cape Town ? Heard lot of things but want to know if I will feel secured .
:)
Looking to hear soon

Hi Yaelle05,

My name is Hamish. I am an American structural engineer presently contracted through a mining corporate living in Cape Town. I have been here just over three months and can tell you that it is safe. The city is huge (3.5M+)' however, there are a few areas to stay away from such as "The Cape Flats". I was told from the moment I arrived that this area is the large, windy and sandy stretch which is a 'dumping area' of people who were forcibly removed, It is also advisable to avoid the townships as there is little law enforcement presence here. Especially avoid Nyanga, Gugulethu and Khayelitsha. In fact, avoid most all the outskirts of Cape Town unless you have a guide with you. Although not inherently unsafe, keep your wits about you when visiting Long Street and the City Center. Lots of pickpockets and muggings. Also, verify  you're getting into a marked cab, or you will be scammed. Of course common sense always rules the day, no flashy valuables, avoiding homeless, etc. Now, Yaelle05, the vast preponderance of the town is breathtaking and one of the most awe inspiring places I have ever visited, and if you look at my path, you will see I have visited most everywhere. Hope to meet and greet you for a cool lunch on a warm day when you arrive. Good luck!