Driving in Mexico with permanent resident visa.

Can you obtain a TIP when you have a permanent resident visa?

gloomis wrote:

Can you obtain a TIP when you have a permanent resident visa?

Hi, could you clarify that question ?

My temp. resident visa will expire Oct. 31 and I am planning to apply for permanent resident visa.  I was wondering with the permanent resident visa can I optain a Temp. Import Permit to drive my us plated vehicle in Mexico.

gloomis wrote:

My temp. resident visa will expire Oct. 31 and I am planning to apply for permanent resident visa.  I was wondering with the permanent resident visa can I optain a Temp. Import Permit to drive my us plated vehicle in Mexico.

So by temporary , are you saying the 4 year temporary which was a step toward permanent, or are you referring to a 6 month visitor visa ?

If you are a visitor you have to return to the U.S. to apply,  If you are a temporary visa holder, how long have you been temporary ? have you run out of renewals for temporary ? If you have run out ,you must leave Mexico or apply for permanent. 

With a permanent visa you cannot have a U.S. plated car. but You can use a broker to try to permanently import your car.  That can get very time consuming, and expensive, so you should consider that very carefully.
I felt it was not the best plan, so I bought a Mexican car, plus my car wasn't really suited to the rigorous Mexican environment.