New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Greetings all!

My wife and I are currently living and working in Abu Dhabi. It has been a great ride, but we are interested in a new adventure. We both have teaching degrees and are looking into the possibility of moving to Vietnam to work as teachers. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Mike, I am desperate to find a good dentist in Saigon, please help and provide me the contact information of the dentist who you were very satisfied with his services, his practice hygiene and his pricing. I thank you very much in advance and your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Mike,
I'm unable to find your post on the dentist that you recommended, please can you posted again. I thank you very much

Hi There,
Dentist in Saigon...
NHA KHOA KY THUAT CAO AU MY
113/15, Dinh Tien Hoang,
Phuong Da Kao,
Quan 1
Tel: 0838202039/0838202179
Email: [email protected]

The Dentist is female, trained in US...
Price obviously depends on what you need done, hygiene excellent...
Mike.

Thanks!

Hi, my name is Nigel , I am looking to rent an apartment in Vung Tau on a monthly basis initially . It is hard to detect if apartments advertised will allow short term rental ( I assume not). Any help appreciated

nra019 wrote:

Hi, my name is Nigel , I am looking to rent an apartment in Vung Tau on a monthly basis initially . It is hard to detect if apartments advertised will allow short term rental ( I assume not). Any help appreciated

In my experience, the minimum rental period is between three months and one year. In a tower building with lots of apartments you have to expect a minimum rental period of one year.

Why don't you stay the first few weeks in a hotel and then look for an apartment? The available rental apartments are usually available at short notice.

nra019 wrote:

I am looking to rent an apartment in Vung Tau on a monthly basis initially . It is hard to detect if apartments advertised will allow short term rental ( I assume not).

You would be pleasantly surprised.   

There's always a surplus of accommodations in Vung Tau so you won't have any problem negotiating.  I know several apartment buildings where 3 or 6 month minimum is the policy, but there were times when the landlords rent out some of the units for as short as 6 weeks.  The reason?  There are many oil professionals who return to the same apartment with every assignment, and the landlords hold the units for them so those units are available during the waiting time.  The building where I live is one of them, with tenants who have been here for 3+ years but not as one consecutive stay.  One of the units was rent out for 2 months recently while waiting for the regular tenant to return.

Just ask, there's a good chance you'll receive a positive answer.

Hello Mike,
I thank you very much for providing us with the dentist information.

You have a good week end

Hello Mike,
I thank you very much for providing us with the dentist information.

You have a good week end

Hi all!
I'm looking to move my kids to Vietnam for six months starting in September.  We're looking for a 3+ bedroom in a community with a pool, hopefully fully furnished and walking distance to shops and beach.  Anybody know where to find something like that?  Is there a craigslist for Vietnam?

norface5 wrote:

Hi all!
I'm looking to move my kids to Vietnam for six months starting in September.  We're looking for a 3+ bedroom in a community with a pool, hopefully fully furnished and walking distance to shops and beach.  Anybody know where to find something like that?  Is there a craigslist for Vietnam?

It's easier to help if you say WHERE would you like to rent in Vietnam.

Any beach city or a chosen beach city?

The easiest you can do is to find a Facebook group of the city you want to live in and post the ad there.

Appreciate the advice and recommendation for Saigon Dentist, thankyou

There is a Craigslist in Vietnam. I don't know of any  apartments like you described within walking distance of a beach.

norface5 wrote:

Hi all!
We're looking for a 3+ bedroom in a community with a pool, hopefully fully furnished and walking distance to shops and beach.  Anybody know where to find something like that?  Is there a craigslist for Vietnam?

As KhuyenT said, you'll need to know where before you can start searching for what.  (Your profile says you would like to move to Nha Trang but your post did not indicate such.  Is Nha Trang your one and only choice?)

Vietnam has 3400 km of coastline, meaning there are many beach towns and cities, but to have a pool near the beach, you'll need to live in larger beach cities, and there are many of those from North to South.

For instance, my apartment is 7 minute walk to the beach and two minute walk to shops.  There isn't a pool in this building, but there are pools in other properties on the same street.  A few minute walk from my apartment is a gated complex consists of small villas, each with its own pool and some have partial view of the beach.

That brings to the next question:  does your budget extend to the kind of property I describe?  There's a good number of those in this beach town, it would depend on what you're willing to pay.

Ciambella wrote:
norface5 wrote:

Hi all!
We're looking for a 3+ bedroom in a community with a pool, hopefully fully furnished and walking distance to shops and beach.  Anybody know where to find something like that?  Is there a craigslist for Vietnam?

As KhuyenT said, you'll need to know where before you can start searching for what.  (Your profile says you would like to move to Nha Trang but your post did not indicate such.  Is Nha Trang your one and only choice?)

Vietnam has 3400 km of coastline, meaning there are many beach towns and cities, but to have a pool near the beach, you'll need to live in larger beach cities, and there are many of those from North to South.

For instance, my apartment is 7 minute walk to the beach and two minute walk to shops.  There isn't a pool in this building, but there are pools in other properties on the same street.  A few minute walk from my apartment is a gated complex consists of small villas, each with its own pool and some have partial view of the beach.

That brings to the next question:  does your budget extend to the kind of property I describe?  There's a good number of those in this beach town, it would depend on what you're willing to pay.

Agree.

You need to break things down a bit, like budget and north or south of the country.

And remember that you will be in VN during the northern hemisphere winter, when it does get cold on northern VN.

I believe Nha Trang would be ideal for my family, but if there's a particular town that you love and recommend I  would be much obliged.  I'm looking for a 3 bedroom priced around $800 USD.

Hi everyone!

My name is Joandy, an I am from Indonesia although I study in Singapore for my degree!

I will be staying in Vung Tau, Vietnam for about 1 month and Ho Chi Minh for about 1 week to work for a non-profit organization to increase the living conditions of the local community!

After working for this project, I have a bit of time to spare apparently. I am looking for an opportunity to teach english for a decent prince in Vung Tau. Anybody got a lead?

Thanks!
Joandy

Hi all, first post on here so bear with me. My husband and I are moving to Hanoi, arriving on the 7th July and I was hoping for any information on a couple of things.
We are hoping to get teaching jobs but only I have a degree. Also had a slight issue with our visas and now only have 3 month single-entry tourist visas instead of business ones. I had read somewhere before that you are unable to rent or work on a tourist visa. We are planning on staying in Tay Ho or Ba Dinh but a lot of apartments are only available from now, is it best to organise this before we arrive or when we are there?
Sorry for so many questions, thanks in advance
Steph x

You cannot work legally on a tourist visa but you can rent without a problem whatsoever.

The plan is to do a visa run once we get a job and come back in the country with a business visa. Then hopefully get a work permit  sorted soon after. Do you think that is possible?
That's great news about renting though, thank you, it has put my mind at ease

StephanieRolls wrote:

Then hopefully get a work permit  sorted soon after. Do you think that is possible?

You will need both a Bachelor's degree, which apparently you have, plus some type of TEFL certificate to have a work permit.  There should be several options to obtain a TEFL certificate in Hanoi as there are in HCMC.  Your husband may be faced with working illegally.

The most respected certificate is the Cambridge CELTA which is available at ILA and Apollo.  The downsides of this course may be price and time as it takes a full month.  One upside may be that the schools may help you find housing during the class period.

Hi all,

I'm here from Devon UK. Just completed my English teacher training and settling in HCMC. Currently am in Binh Thanh District in a very nice AirBnB, but will be looking to move into an apartment before too long.

Here in Saigon to set up an exciting new business venture!

What is it that I offer? Heart Coherence Biofeedback Training. What is that you ask? It is how to make one's heart beat more rhythmically as a means to keep fitter and healthier and be able to be more relaxed.

This specific technique is in fact, the very latest development in understanding how the human body can work more efficiently and effectively. It is easy to learn and it takes very little effort to do. Great for everyone, but especially good for people who have breathing or heartbeat issues, or anyone who is conscious about their health and fitness. Sorry about the sales pitch here! I just can't seem to help myself sometimes.

Anyway, I would like to find gyms and fitness clubs etc to operate from and be able to demonstrate the technique to people who can appreciate the benefits it offers.

Here is a picture of a typical heartbeat rhythm before and then during doing the exercise.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59ea57e3d74cffa2bd3703b4/t/5a61148be4966bd27584e13e/1516311828759/Graph_Red_Border_Sharpened_up+Transparent.png?format=300w

So, this is what my exciting new project is all about and I would love to chat more about it to anyone who is interested.

If anyone can recommend a fitness gym or health club venue, or similar that I could approach, I would really like to hear back.

For any good suggestions, I would be happy to offer a free heart coherence biofeedback training session, which in the UK would normally cost £50.

Best wishes,

Rob

Cheltenham is not in Devon?

Yes, correct. Originally from Cheltenham but more recently living in Devon. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi all.
i am arjun an engineering graduate  from india, i am coming to hanoi in the month of june on the purpose of volunteering and i 'll stay there for 3 months, but i wonna find any software devolopment job within these 3 months to stay there for atleast 1 year.

Hello, Guys, I'm coming in Saigon (HCMC) for six months from 5 June 18 and I' finding a room, apartment for a rent. I can prefer private, service apartment and shared room. Anyone who is intrested can follow up this message.
Thanks

M B MAN wrote:

Hi all,

I'm here from Devon UK. Just completed my English teacher training and settling in HCMC. Currently am in Binh Thanh District in a very nice AirBnB, but will be looking to move into an apartment before too long.

Here in Saigon to set up an exciting new business venture!

What is it that I offer? Heart Coherence Biofeedback Training. What is that you ask? It is how to make one's heart beat more rhythmically as a means to keep fitter and healthier and be able to be more relaxed.

This specific technique is in fact, the very latest development in understanding how the human body can work more efficiently and effectively. It is easy to learn and it takes very little effort to do. Great for everyone, but especially good for people who have breathing or heartbeat issues, or anyone who is conscious about their health and fitness. Sorry about the sales pitch here! I just can't seem to help myself sometimes.

Anyway, I would like to find gyms and fitness clubs etc to operate from and be able to demonstrate the technique to people who can appreciate the benefits it offers.

Here is a picture of a typical heartbeat rhythm before and then during doing the exercise.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ … ormat=300w

So, this is what my exciting new project is all about and I would love to chat more about it to anyone who is interested.

If anyone can recommend a fitness gym or health club venue, or similar that I could approach, I would really like to hear back.

For any good suggestions, I would be happy to offer a free heart coherence biofeedback training session, which in the UK would normally cost £50.

Best wishes,

Rob

hey, same here I'm also living in tan binh in airbnb. but finding a new apartment . If  you want we can talk about this. contact skype: s***. find me here

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

StephanieRolls,

My wife and i arrived recently in Hanoi and had similar questions before we came. Here is what we learned living here for the past 5 weeks:
   I'd recommend Ba Dinh. Its within walking distance of Old Quarter but is not "over-run" by tourists and foreigners. Lots of sidewalk cafes with delicious food; its part of an area dense with schools - potential employers.
  I would stay in a hotel when you first arrive. Many of the apartments are fabulous in pictures, but the area around them are not. Other issues you can only discover by inspecting the property in person (condition of water heater, a/c, fridge, travel time factoring in construction and traffic)  Some things you will have to get used to (the bathrooms here are weird.) Some things you will only realize are necessities after you've lived here for a few weeks (elevators; "western-type" bed; a "noise level" you can live with, and what is "walking distance" to you on a day with 60% humidity). 
   We were advised to come on a tourist visa, I think because you will find many employers are willing to help with the cost of obtaining a business visa - so, no worries there. You can *look* for work on a tourist visa. But yes, you will have to do a "visa run" to re-enter on a business visa in order to *work* here.
   ***most*** employers will require a degree. However, the relative pay of an English Teacher to the typical cost of living means you can both enjoy living here on just one income.  I would be extremely cautious about working as an English Teacher at a place that did not require a degree; same danger as "working under the table" any where else- the employer can refuse to pay you, and there is nothing you can do about it.  There are plenty of other opportunities for employment, though; one gent I spoke with here started off as a guest relations manager at a hotel - no other skill then speaking English.  One guy started a hot dog stand. Others are travel or food bloggers, photographers, or find some other niche.  (but do make sure to get a business visa for the husband if he intends to generate income in-country).

This is my first post on this forum.  I've just arrived here in Sai Gon and am presently enrolled in VNese language classes.  I have just found a nice apartment in Binh Thanh on the border of D1 that is easy walking to my school.  I am having a bit of difficulty with sorting out banking,but have made some inroads on that front.  I was wondering if there is a VPN service that folks here would recommend?

def1412 wrote:

I was wondering if there is a VPN service that folks here would recommend?

If you google "vpn services" you will find webpages like those ...
https://www.bestvpn.com/de/best-vpn-services/
https://www.cnet.com/best-vpn-services-directory/

Most VPN services can be tested free of charge for a few days.
Decide a service that supports computers and Android/iOS.

I personally use PrivateVPN because I try to avoid American services (bad privacy policy).

I am having issues accessing some sites back home like ATT.  I thought that going through a VPN would be helpful.

Greetings -

My name is Mike. I am from metro Detroit, Michigan, USA. I am moving to Danang in November to begin teaching English and pursue other opportunities - I have a position already lined up that begins in January. I chose Danang over many other cities in SEA and am excited to get over there.

I am looking forward to researching my questions on this site and asking for your insights and participating where I can.

I am thinking about retiring in Vietnam.  I have narrowed my search to Nha Trang but am willing to consider other locations.  I'd like to be close to the beach.  A studio apartment will suit me well.  I know nothing, so any information will be helpful.  Thanks, Tom Browder

I am thinking about retiring in Vietnam.  I have narrowed my search to Nha Trang, but am willing to consider other places.  I would like to live near the beach.  A studio apartment will suit me fine.  I know nothing, so any information will be helpful.  Tom Browder

Hey, I'm doing  the same thing, though right now I am living in Sai Gon and taking VNese lessons.  An Bang, the beach near Hoi An is very nice.  It has a nice drop off so you don't need to wade out too far to get into deeper water.  Hoi An is a quiet (except the night market), but a bit touristy town.  I visited it last year you might try that.  I've been to Nha Trang and loved it there as well.

I looked up Hoi An, near DaNang.  What is your take on Danang?  I am corresponding with someone else who lives there, and it gets good marks from travel blogs.  What is your name?  Thanks for writing.  Tom Browder

The easy part my name is Ken Byrnes.  I didn't spend as much time in Da Nang as I did in Hoi An.  I stayed up in the part of the beach called Son Tra.  When you walk out into the water the slope is real gradual so it took forever to get like water up to the knees and stuff. On the other hand you can rent a chaise lounge for a buck and beers a buck and they serve it to you at the chaise lounge at on the beach.

A VPN will definitely help. I have used ExpressVPN for many years both in Vietnam as well as in China. ExpressVPN allows you to select a server location. In Vietnam it will suggest using a Hong Kong server. However, if you are attempting to access a site in the US (banks, telephone companies), your need to select a US based server otherwise you will be blocked. This also matters if you are attempting to purchase an ebook as these are available only in certain regions due to rights management. By using a US based server you are able to circumvent this restriction.

Closed