New members of the Scotland forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi All,

I'm from Malaysia and living in Scotland - Glasgow now. Working as IT Consultant and hope can make friend and know more about Scotland.

Thanks and cheers

Hi

I am South African, but I have lived in Scotland for the last 25 years (eeesh really that long?). I am married to a Scot.  Would be interested in any events, restaurants or bars  in the Glasgow/Lanarkshire areas and introduce my husband a little more to the South African culture, until such times we can afford a holiday to SA.

Happy answer any questions about living here to anyone new to the area.

Hi

My partner, daughter (6) and myself and planning on the big move from Sydney to Scotland in May/June next year.  I have duel citizenship, NZ and Ireland but will be applying for an EEA visa for my partner and daughter who are Australian.  I'm a bit nervous about the visa application as I hear since Brexit visa's are harder to get. 

Anyway we are looking at moving for at least 6 months and if we like it, which I expect we will, we will extend the visas and stay longer.  We are looking at settling in the Inverness/Stirling area, coming from a big busy city we want something a little quieter and laid back.  Does anyone have any experience in settling in these areas?  What are the schools like?  My partner is in hospitality and I am a legal secretary but we are willing to try our hand at anything, what is the job market like?

Thanks, Penny

Hiya,
I am looking for work Opportunities in Scotland. My Family homeland !  Dalgleish !
I am an Oil & Gas recruiter, want to move myself and my pets to a new home.  Suggestions welcome, on how to start applying for work , options, better opportunities, etc etc.

Lovely site, I like the energy.
;-)

From Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you for the opportunity.

So my family and I have decided to move to Scotland next year 2019 from SA. Why? Because we are unfortunately very worried about our sons future in SA and the opportunities he may or may not have in 20 years time. He is almost 4 now. We might sound negative but we are just another disillusioned bunch of SAFA's again I guess.

Anyway, my wife has a British Passport through descent (Her mother is British born) and we are wondering if anyone knows the procedure of how myself and our son would get over there with her. We have been told that we would have to apply for a settlement visa. This involves huge amounts of money, either saved, in the bank account or earned (which we have none of the above). By what we can gather, the only way we can apply for this visa is if my wife moves to Scotland and works there for at least six months before we can come over. Is this correct? Would we have to split the family like this to make this a possibility?

Also, my wife's brother and his family have already been in Scotland for over 10 years. This is why we picked Scotland so that we have a support system. Is there a way he could perhaps help with this? As in be a sponsor of some kind, so that we would not have to wait for my wife to work there for six months?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bushpioneer wrote:

Thank you for the opportunity.

So my family and I have decided to move to Scotland next year 2019 from SA. Why? Because we are unfortunately very worried about our sons future in SA and the opportunities he may or may not have in 20 years time. He is almost 4 now. We might sound negative but we are just another disillusioned bunch of SAFA's again I guess.

Anyway, my wife has a British Passport through descent (Her mother is British born) and we are wondering if anyone knows the procedure of how myself and our son would get over there with her. We have been told that we would have to apply for a settlement visa. This involves huge amounts of money, either saved, in the bank account or earned (which we have none of the above). By what we can gather, the only way we can apply for this visa is if my wife moves to Scotland and works there for at least six months before we can come over. Is this correct? Would we have to split the family like this to make this a possibility?

Also, my wife's brother and his family have already been in Scotland for over 10 years. This is why we picked Scotland so that we have a support system. Is there a way he could perhaps help with this? As in be a sponsor of some kind, so that we would not have to wait for my wife to work there for six months?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It should be possible to do what you wish; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that explains the entire process; I'd advise to go through the entire link as there are things in there that depend on the answers you give to certain questions.

If your circumstances are complicated, then perhaps you should consult an Immigration Advisor; the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates UK immigration advisers and maintains a register of the immigration advisers that they regulate; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that has the details.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello great people!

My name is Tam, I'm 35 y.o. female who's born, live and currently work in Jakarta, Indonesia as Senior Strategic Sourcing Manager but needed fresh air and challenge myself to work abroad for a lifetime experience.

I choose Scotland because it's natural beauty of the land and the people. So I wish this writing will at least help me find the opportunity to work in Scotland. Any position will do me a favor as I have a plan to earn master degree in Edinburgh University or Glassgow University next year in order to be able to expand my career in the future.

I earn bachelor degree in 2010 from one of the best communication school in Indonesia - The London School of Public Relations, Jakarta. Major in mass communication with 3.3 GPA. I've learned several business studies including corporate communication, marketing, advertising and public relations.
My goal is simple; to be one of the best communicator in the job fields.

I have 13 years experience in procurement area, a professional worker who have been in several industries with various business core and multinational FMCG/Consumer Goods company such as Nestle, Unilever, palm oil plantation and currently Pharmaceutical company.

Thanking you for any feedback or comments

Regards,
Tam

Hi Tam and welcome to the Forum.

To come to the UK to study, you will need to apply for a visa; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that deals with this.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

Thanks you for your reply. I have contact some education advisor to help me with this too.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=830319

Thanks!

Closed