New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Mrs.G719 wrote:

We will become property owners Friday! My husband is from Puerto Rico and we recently decided to retire there. We will start clearing land and building next year. All my ideas are on Pinterest and I hope I put them to work!

Congratulations

Hi, new to the forum.  Name is Craig, currently live in Miami.  Am flying to San Juan to meet with Tax Attorneys about Acts 22 and 20 and ultimately a move full-time to San Juan in February of 2019.  Will be active in this forum to learn about the best (and safest) places to live, the culture, and all other things upon arrival.

cab2345 wrote:

Hi, new to the forum.  Name is Craig, currently live in Miami.  Am flying to San Juan to meet with Tax Attorneys about Acts 22 and 20 and ultimately a move full-time to San Juan in February of 2019.  Will be active in this forum to learn about the best (and safest) places to live, the culture, and all other things upon arrival.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully Puerto Rico soon. You sure you want to move in February? For tax purposes and act 20/22 you may want to move before January 1. Check with the attorney.

Yep I've already talked to 7 tax attorneys and I'm actually flying to San Juan in October to meet with them in person and choose the one I will retain.

New to the forum here! I'm considering a move to PR within the next few years. My wife and I have always had a bit of wanderlust and this is our best opportunity to move to another country without the hassle of immigration, visas, etc.

I speak fluent Spanish (raised in a bilingual household with Colombian parents). I'm very comfortable with PR Spanish, as it sounds a lot like what my parents spoke (they were from Colombia's Caribbean coast). My wife and children do not speak Spanish. Wife understands it well, and kids are young enough to pick it up, I hope.

I've got a bachelor's degree in business, but I've been in some blue collar trades for a little while. Not entirely sure what kind of work is out there. My background is in Transportation Management -- but I honestly hope not to go back to office life.

Looking to visit in the spring to start checking the place out. Not set on any one particular part of the island, but the weather in Mayaguez sounds way too hot. I'm moving from Tennessee...I can deal with heat, but it sounds scorching there!

Welcome to the forum and hopefully Puerto Rico soon. Most member put their kids in Private schools, the public ones are not up to standards. As I understand Private schools are not cheap.

Heat is relative in the island, the lower you are the hotter it is, as you move up into the hills it is cooler and breezier.

Concrete heats up all day and at night it gives out the accumulated heat, so likely you will need an air conditioner to sleep. If so use a split unit, they are more efficient.

Public schools are taught in Spanish... I work at one of the top private school on the island it's not super expensive but compared that's compared to the private boarding schools in the states....

I would look for houses with inverter ac they are more energy efficient. Energy is twice as expensive here as it is in the states so efficient appliances are very important!

Hi. New to forum. Trying to learn what it takes to relocate to Puerto Rico I don't know where to start.

Start with finding a source of income, unless you have one already, or are independently wealthy.

Bobcatbird1 wrote:

Hi. New to forum. Trying to learn what it takes to relocate to Puerto Rico I don't know where to start.

Take a look at what it will take to move several states away from where you currently live. It will be close to the same except for the big pool of water between us.

Your source of  income, learn new language, new driver license, new bank account, new school, new nanny, mosquito repellent, sunscreen, a hat, shorts, sunglasses, learn how to relax, many many changes.

ReyP wrote:
Bobcatbird1 wrote:

Take a look at what it will take to move several states away from where you currently live. It will be close to the same except for the big pool of water between us.

Your source of  income, learn new language, new driver license, new bank account, new school, new nanny, mosquito repellent, sunscreen, a hat, shorts, sunglasses, learn how to relax, many many changes.

Rent and houses/condos purchase are lower in PR in most areas of the island when compared to the states. Electricity is double the US, water about the same. There is no natural gas, we use propane for cooking and other uses due to cost of electricity. Decide if you are going to sell most of your stuff and buy new in PR or try to ship them, do note that is very expensive to ship a car, around 1200 for the transport and you also have to pay taxes to move the car and those can be high. Food is about the same , maybe a little higher, but it all depends on your diet, since most food have to be shipped to the island, your supermarket may be out of a few items, for months and one day have them again. Good example, tomatoes, one supermarket was out, another had some but they looked like they took a tumble down a mountain another supermarket had nice clean, smooth and good shape tomatoes. Each chain does its own thing and 1 chain may be out of broccoli or tomatoes but a different chain would have the items, you need to drive and do a hunt for them.

Bobcat: As I said, get your financial situation straight. You'll figure it out after that. If you truly want to relocate, you'll make it work Trust me.

Eva, Myself and my daughter just moved here this week in an area named College Park. If your down for exploring with us please reach out and connect. We are currently doing the car rental gig but hoping to get a vehicle soon. We are both here pursuing nursing at Inter Metro University, and we are from Florida. Welcome !!

pspsurf wrote:

Eva, Myself and my daughter just moved here this week in an area named College Park. If your down for exploring with us please reach out and connect. We are currently doing the car rental gig but hoping to get a vehicle soon. We are both here pursuing nursing at Inter Metro University, and we are from Florida. Welcome !!

Welcome to the island and the forum.

You can look at usajobs.gov to see if the DoDEA schools are hiring at Fort Buchanan. It's a GS/federal job and the schools are all in English-Elementary-High School.

As a federal employee they will probley require you to be bilingual. I worked for the faa in the states and i didnt work with the public i only did data management and they required that you speak and write english and Spanish.

Well for DoDEA Schools, that might not be a requirement. As I have met teachers whom only speak English, especially if they are military spouses! Worth applying imo.

¡Hola mis amigos!
Just found and joined this site. I've been considering a relocation to PR for some time after visiting in 2012. I'm curious how the hurricane recovery is progressing, specifically in the western mountains around Las Maria's and Maricao.

Currently I'm researching volunteer opportunities for the spring and will extend my stay to explore possible relocation destinations.

¡Gracias y Dios Bendigo!

Nomad19! wrote:

¡Hola mis amigos!
Just found and joined this site. I've been considering a relocation to PR for some time after visiting in 2012. I'm curious how the hurricane recovery is progressing, specifically in the western mountains around Las Maria's and Maricao.

Currently I'm researching volunteer opportunities for the spring and will extend my stay to explore possible relocation destinations.

¡Gracias y Dios Bendigo!

Welcome to the group and Puerto Rico.

PR is up and running, some businesses have closed and will not reopen, but new ones are also popping up. Most traffic lights are operational now, streets are clear. Concrete houses were sandblasted, some lost a window or door but for the most part they suffered little damage. Wooden houses on the other hand suffered greatly, some are still with no roof but people are rebuilding a little at a time. There are pockets of inactivity, for example some homes up in the mountains still dont have electricity, but just a few. Communications are up and running but there are pockets, like my neighborhood where both Claro and Liberty (Internet providers) have yet to repair their cabling and people have to use expensive metered Internet service via satellite, but these are pockets, unfortunately it has been more than a year. So for the most part PR is up and running. Unfortunately some people (Squatters and people without home title) were unable to get Federal help so it may be a while before they are able to rebuild, most had no insurance either. These Squatters have been living at their place for 50 or more years, they owned the house but not the property, it is passed from generation to generation but no papers. They will likely rebuild but it will take them time. Some natives have moved to one of the states searching for jobs which are harder to come by in the island. But for the most part, PR looks picture perfect and will continue to recover slowly. Mother nature is recovering, trees look almost normal unless you look hard, the rain forest is recovering but it has a long way to go, it will not be what it was for another 50-100 years, there was a lot of damage to the forest and forest animals.

But we are open

Merry Christmas!  My husband and I are from Wisconsin where it is freezing cold at least five months each year.  We are looking forward to retiring in PR in 2020.  We will be looking for much advice as we get closer to making our move to island living.  Thanks in advance for your support!

TitiTLC wrote:

Merry Christmas!  My husband and I are from Wisconsin where it is freezing cold at least five months each year.  We are looking forward to retiring in PR in 2020.  We will be looking for much advice as we get closer to making our move to island living.  Thanks in advance for your support!

Welcome to the forum and hopefully PR soon.
We are here to try to answer your questions and give you advice.
Today 12/24/2018 is currently 76, high will be 82 and the low 73. Unless you are up high in the mountains you will not need a sweater.

Hello . I hope all is well. Please let me know if I can be of any help. I just made the move from Michigan. We did it all,  shipped 2 ABF UPack Pods Terminal to Terminal , Shipped 2 vehicles through Crowley, flew a pet, enrolled one child in middle school and one in college neither speak Spanish. We do not either.Set up a business and the list goes on. I'd be happy to help anyone who needs help.

I am from Indiana (Indianapolis area) and looking to explore how other US main landers have transitioned to the island, especially if they spoke very little Spanish, and didn't have specific jobs or companies already in place on the island. I have been running my own business  for the last 9+ years, but worry that making the transition would be fairly hard since so many of my clients and relationships are built in the Midwest. Any and all information would be great.

Marketing, real estate, tourism, business development and consulting are all interest of mine, but always looking to find out what that next big move could be if relocating to the island. 

Thanks!

Hello, welcome
Transition isnt hard accepting learning to wait for anything
I speak no Spanish and have done fine here
As or jobs, not a giod sutuation for most
Econo is a grocery store chain here, the jave job posting the other day.  It states $8 to $10 an hour and they have a requirement of a bachelor's degree. I havea friend that has a bachelor's degree and she was stuck cleaning toliets here. She speaks no Spanish
If your daring then go for it
But i was a federal employee in the states and i cant work here because they require you to be bilingual even though my job is only done on the computer and not working with the public

That's pretty crazy that they require a bachlor's degree and still are only paying $10 an hour.  It almost seems like there are two options, start a business, move your business to the island, or become apart of the working poor unless you are ready to retire when coming to the island.  I'll keep exploring options however, thanks for the info.

Hi Rpac,
Sounds like you are well on the way. Just keep checking the posts and see if there is something you can help others with. Members participation is the key here.

BTW Welcome to Puerto Rico and the forum.

rpacsotFromIndy wrote:

I am from Indiana (Indianapolis area) and looking to explore how other US main landers have transitioned to the island, especially if they spoke very little Spanish, and didn't have specific jobs or companies already in place on the island. I have been running my own business  for the last 9+ years, but worry that making the transition would be fairly hard since so many of my clients and relationships are built in the Midwest. Any and all information would be great.

Marketing, real estate, tourism, business development and consulting are all interest of mine, but always looking to find out what that next big move could be if relocating to the island. 

Thanks!

Hi since you are into business, and it sounds like at least some of them can be considered "Service" oriented, you may want to loo0k into Act 20 / Act 22. It is special taxation program that mostly moves your tax to PR and fixes it to around 4% a year, the other one is personal and it is about things like investing. Do a search here for it and also check Facebook, search for Act 20 and also for Act 22. Google also has info on it.

Thanks Rey, appreciate you having the Facebook group, and being an awesome moderator!

I just make my own chili sauce to use as a side dip. Here's a SE Asian chili recipe:  chop up fresh or frozen chili peppers, use a mortar and pestle to grind the chili with fresh garlic, add lime juice and fish sauce. If no fish sauce, use salt. When done, add a bit of water or 7 Up to get it a bit wet (not a lot). Optional:  add chopped cilantro and scallions.

This recipe is great as a stand alone dip, or add it to BBQ sauce to spice it up. It is really hot.

I'm moving to Puerto Rico in Summer 2019, near San Juan, for work.

claybonz wrote:

I'm moving to Puerto Rico in Summer 2019, near San Juan, for work.

Welcome to the Forum and PR soon.

VictoriaY wrote:

I just make my own chili sauce to use as a side dip. Here's a SE Asian chili recipe:  chop up fresh or frozen chili peppers, use a mortar and pestle to grind the chili with fresh garlic, add lime juice and fish sauce. If no fish sauce, use salt. When done, add a bit of water or 7 Up to get it a bit wet (not a lot). Optional:  add chopped cilantro and scallions.

This recipe is great as a stand alone dip, or add it to BBQ sauce to spice it up. It is really hot.

Not sure who you talking to about chili sauce or if you meant to post under this "New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018" subject.

hi all. I grew up in PR and plan to retire there in 2022. starting my real estate research. I have contacts on the island for all types of handy man work. looking for 2+ acres with or without construction.

Hello,
I am considering to move to PR in 2020. I am in my early 20s and I have an online business. I'm interested in moving somewhere that is by the beach and offers nearby shopping,restaurants and activities since I'm not really interested in having a car (I know it sounds weird) But I'm comfortable walking around and exploring on foot or taking public transportation. I guess the most I would spend on a apartment/condo is $1k but I have seen places less than that.

I'm learning Spanish and hope to become conversational fluent by the end of the year. So moving there will help and I look forward to it. Puerto Rico has been on my heart for a year now and I just feel like I belong there (even without me setting a foot there yet) I'm visiting in the Summer for a week and I can't wait! Any advice is welcomed!

anabell.m wrote:

Hello,
I am considering to move to PR in 2020. I am in my early 20s and I have an online business. I'm interested in moving somewhere that is by the beach and offers nearby shopping,restaurants and activities since I'm not really interested in having a car (I know it sounds weird) But I'm comfortable walking around and exploring on foot or taking public transportation. I guess the most I would spend on a apartment/condo is $1k but I have seen places less than that.

I'm learning Spanish and hope to become conversational fluent by the end of the year. So moving there will help and I look forward to it. Puerto Rico has been on my heart for a year now and I just feel like I belong there (even without me setting a foot there yet) I'm visiting in the Summer for a week and I can't wait! Any advice is welcomed!

If you want no car, walk to restaurants and small shops, you probably want to live in Old San Juan. If you dont mind the bus, local urban train, taxi, Uber, then most of San Juan. If you want a good beach forget all the above. Look instead elsewhere, polution of the beaches in that area sometimes makes it risky to go in the water. If all you want is to Sun yourself and look at the sea then that area is fine. Two beaches in San Juan come to mind that you may like, In Condado, where the Dos Hermanos bridge is at there is a very nice beach just before the bridge where the stone dog is. Also EL Escanbron beach is very nice. The farther you move into Condado area the more polution in the water.

For great beaches, leave the metro area but now you need a car. For pristine beaches and super clear waters, you need move away from boats, ships and population.

xiomara629 wrote:

hi all. I grew up in PR and plan to retire there in 2022. starting my real estate research. I have contacts on the island for all types of handy man work. looking for 2+ acres with or without construction.

This is the first place to look, also in facebook search for Fincas
https://clasificadosonline.com

found a few places using zillow. do you know what is more commonly used by locals? is an agent the way to go (mls)

clasificadosonline.com
point2homes.com
deshow.com
homepath.com
zillow.com

And then the banks all list their repos on their own websites. House searching in PR is VERY time intensive compared to state side. I check each of those sites every evening...

Hi all!  Stumbled across this site while trying to get info on the feasibility of moving to PR.  My wife and I are from Chicago but she is originally from the island, still has family there and we just got back from visiting (for my 4th time) a little over a week ago.  I have been fortunate to be welcomed in very warmly by her family and they have taken us all over the island over the years but this trip was the first time we rented a car and had the chance to do a little exploring of our own. 

In the past we would visit but the idea of living here never really crossed my mind seriously until this last trip.  Chalk it up to a change in values and a desire for change and to try something different.  I lurked this site hard enough one day while I was there to keep my expectations in check about what to expect in the event that we were to move but I am looking to more thoroughly understand.  I figure it would be at least a year out before something like this could be possible for several reasons: understand , learning the language (I have been very lazy in learning it but have been hitting it pretty aggressively since coming back home), understanding the logistics of moving there as well as renting for a year to see if long term is in the plans or not.  I have also only visited during the winter months so booking a 4-5 day summer trip is going to need to happen to get a solid understanding of summer temps and weather. 

Ultimately, hoping to make an informed decision about moving one way or the other.  Looking forward to learning and meeting some new people here.

Welcome!

Closed