New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Sitka wrote:

I believe in some circumstances squatters can gain legal title to land the are living on.

An interesting topic:  https://www.puertoricolegalblog.com/vie … erto-rico/

I am sure there are ways.

Hi All -   **oops I meant to post here but actually did it in the new members forum first.  Couldn't figure out how to delete that!**

I'm Lynne from St. Louis Missouri, and I'm currently buying a home in Ceiba on the hill overlooking the ocean, set to close sometime in the next 2-6 weeks.  Once I'm all closed up and in possession, I'll plan to do various improvements and setups, and eventually rent it as a vacation rental when I am not on island. I do speak spanish fairly fluently, and travel with a native speaker, as well as do pretty well networking in person to get to know locals.   I've looked at the business pages and not successfully found much.   I would love to:

- Get to know people in the area I might meet when I get back to the island
- have referrals for any locals who might take "labor" jobs in construction (I have my own general contractor for the most part)
- have referrals to property managers who might care for the property when I am gone (light) and rent it as a vacation rental once I'm ready
- get any scoop / referrals to solar power providers and costs
- have referrals to affordable, simple pool builders
- any advise on when, how, and if permits are needed and for what type of work - how to go about getting them

Thanks so much, looking forward to getting to know you!
Lynne

Hi lynnehart0909,
Welcome to the forum, Puerto Rico and Ceiba. My property where I will be building is in Ceiba, in a hill (about 1,000 feet above sea level) overlooking Roosevelt Roads old base, the bay and Vieques. I will be there later this year, need sell my house in MA first and then begin construction.

Hi ReyP!

We'll have to stay in touch and connect on island.  I think you are probably a little south from me.  I'm a little rural, great ocean view on an unnamed road off of 978, almost directly behind Ceiba city but up above, I'm not sure how far up, but I think I'm about 1/2 mile from the ocean (in a direct line).  On a map I'd be smack in the middle between the south and north, and about half way between the ocean and el yunque.

Lets stay in contact and possibly share some referrals in the area!
Lynne

Ceiba has such lovely coastline. Good choice!

Still learning the area but the view is spectacular and the price was better than anything on the island we saw!

lynnehart0909 wrote:

Hi ReyP!

We'll have to stay in touch and connect on island.  I think you are probably a little south from me.  I'm a little rural, great ocean view on an unnamed road off of 978, almost directly behind Ceiba city but up above, I'm not sure how far up, but I think I'm about 1/2 mile from the ocean (in a direct line).  On a map I'd be smack in the middle between the south and north, and about half way between the ocean and el yunque.

Lets stay in contact and possibly share some referrals in the area!
Lynne

I get the impression that you are my next door neighbor, there was a house I made an offer which is right next to the property I end up purchasing. It is of 978 also. I PMed you a map where my property is, check it out.

I think we're soon to be neighbors!!

lynnehart0909 wrote:

I think we're soon to be neighbors!!

LOL

I am quiet, I won't bother you while you work.

I hope you're far enough away you won't notice if I'm loud.  :)  It sounds like we'll both be working at the same time......what is your timeline?

I will be putting my house in the market in May and will have to wait until it sells, then I will head to PR and rent a house for 6 to 12 months while I have the house build. So it will be around 12-18 months before I wave at you from the balcony.

So you, your husband, any kids?

Well we are not married, just the 2 of us and a chihuahua.  He has 5 kids from his first marraige, but they are all grown so we're early partial retirees.....

I have a yorkie, me and the wife, I am mostly retired, the wife been retired a few years. I may do consulting a few months out of the year, dont know yet.

Yeah, we're still figuring it out too. I have a business here in St. Louis that will have to still run even when I'm gone.  Unless I figure out how to make money there locally......  we will see.

So funny that we will be next door neighbors, Lynn.

Money you make from the states, will not pay PR tax, so keep it in the states. if you become a remote employee of a company in the states you pay no PR tax on the income either.

PR taxes are high, a 60k job in PR pays 33% tax.

Thank you! My name is Joanna and my husband and 10yr. old son are moving to Rincon.I, myself alone used to lived for a a bit in SAN JUAN.. Went through Irma, but not Maria..Such destruction.. So sad.
However; I love and miss Puerto Rico.

We are trying to research schools that are bi-lingual. My son is currently taking Spanish classes. Not often as I would like, Only on Mondays. That's all that is offered.

If anyone is in Rincon, please help, because the address is not numbered and we can not find it on Google Earth.  It is, however; on ROUTE 412, Rincon, P.R. Thanks,,

We just can't fly there right now. We trust the gentleman who owns the property. We just want to know more about it. He is in San Juan. So, it's not feasible for him to take photos.

'Thank you, Joanna.

If you haven't done so already, join the Facebook group "Friends of Rincon".  You'll be able to have a lot of your questions answered by those who live there.

As far as bilingual schools, there's MAS integrated School in Añasco.  However, i dont know much about them to recommend.   There are schools in Mayaguez and I believe in Aguadilla as well.  But like I said, the Friends of Rincon group is pretty useful.  They will be able to help you with schools and the property on 412.  Good luck with the move and see you there in a few years when I retire 😁.

You may also want to join the "Expats in Puerto Rico" group. You will need t o answer 3 questions in order to be accepted. This is our official facebook group for Puerto Rico.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/454610751563324/

For real deal, scratch made pique (hot sauce) try "Borin-Thai".
It's made in Naguabo at Plaza del Mercado #5.  8-10 different flavors, some with heat and some not so much but all are plenty spicy. I'm addicted!

Hi all! I am Jayme and my husband, sister in law and brother in her are all looking to move to Puerto Rico(Rincon) within the next 2 years. We have been to Puerto Rico quite a few times and fell in love right away.  We just got back from a trip to narrow down where we want to be. Our biggest problem right now is getting a real estate agent to even response to us.... Not one has returned calls or emails?!? I'm not sure how to buy if we can't get a response.  Any help would be great! Thanks all!

Powell76 wrote:

Hi all! I am Jayme and my husband, sister in law and brother in her are all looking to move to Puerto Rico(Rincon) within the next 2 years. We have been to Puerto Rico quite a few times and fell in love right away.  We just got back from a trip to narrow down where we want to be. Our biggest problem right now is getting a real estate agent to even response to us.... Not one has returned calls or emails?!? I'm not sure how to buy if we can't get a response.  Any help would be great! Thanks all!

I recommend you read this article: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=678431
Also you should consider just renting for 6 months to a year so you can look for a place to buy from within the island. Realtors are a lot more reactive to a local phone call than a call from the outside and they don't have to worry about you leaving the island a few days after showing you places.

I have a question for you: Why are you looking for properties 2 years before you are ready to move? Sounds like you may be window shopping and not really ready to pull the trigger.

Thank you so much for your reply.  Your post about realtors makes a lot of sense. We will have to figure something out because we do not want to rent. We have time to figure that all out tho.

Powell76 wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply.  Your post about realtors makes a lot of sense. We will have to figure something out because we do not want to rent. We have time to figure that all out tho.

My suggestion is that you buy a lot closer to your move date. Rincon prices are going up everyday due to "Gringo" money. Sellers expect top dollar in Rincon and surrounding areas, so you will be paying more than in most other areas of PR. Condado and Dorado are the only exceptions.

We understand we will be paying more for the area and are okay with it! I am looking forward to gaining as much knowledge from you amazing people on these boards.

The reality is. you guys aren't in the market to buy anything right now. Realtors make their living moving properties in the current market. It's not surprising that there's no interest.

Powell76 wrote:

We understand we will be paying more for the area and are okay with it! I am looking forward to gaining as much knowledge from you amazing people on these boards.

BetweenDecember and April / May, the area of RINCON IS BUZZING with people and activity, the rest of the time is much more laid back and some restaurants and businesses close during the off season.

@eezy - YES! Borin-Thai's Guava hot sauce is the best I have ever had! I was able to pick up a bottle while dining at Terruno in Luquillo earlier this year and am sad my bottle is already almost gone. There's also another brand of SUPER spicy hot sauce by Mi Madre that I saw while at the airport and had to pick up as well.

Anyway, hi everyone! I am looking to move to either Dorado or San Juan after selling my house in RI, US at the end of the summer. I am planning to work with a realtor directly once I'm ready to start looking at places, but am ultimately concerned about finding a job. Currently I am a Project Manager at Hasbro, the toy company, and would be looking to continue similar work in PR. Salaries seem to be a lot lower in PR (I will be making some sacrifices, haha) but I did notice that there are a few healthcare companies (United HealthGroup, etc.) that have branches in PR; most of the jobs appear to be in San Juan. Being from New England, I am used to paying high prices and paying high taxes already. While visiting Luquillo in February, I did not find the prices to be extravagant - even with the 11.5% sales tax (RI sales tax is 7%). Does anyone here have experience with seeking/finding corporate employment in PR after moving from the US? I should also note that I am currently learning Spanish and am super motivated to become fluent to carry out basic conversations :)

Some of my interests include music, cooking - organic/local food, gardening, running, and practicing yoga; I've already looked up a couple of yoga studios around San Juan :D

Looking forward to connecting!!

Edit --- @Rey, I saw your suggestion to rent for 6 - 12 months prior to purchasing a home, and that is something I may consider as well, though rents in San Juan seem high and I am moving by myself.

Hi Sara,
I am from MA and visit RI often, my sister in law lives there.
I am about a week away from my house to be listed and will rent in PR (Ceiba) while my house in build in PR.

Check these metro area rentals: http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … -+Busqueda

A studio or 1 bedroom apartment will likely do for you until you find your dream place.
BTW this one from that list looks real good. http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … ID=1448904 everything included advertised for a single or student.

Jobs are hard to find, average for PR is around 15% unemployment compared to US which is averaging about 3.9%. However the San Juan Area is around 6.8%, so it is not that bad. You problem will likely be the lack of Spanish but if you find a job in a US mainland company with a branch in PR, it may be less of an issue. There is also the Federal government where you may line something up.

Salaries run about 1/2 to 1/3 of mainland salaries for the same job. Since you are not well connected politically those are the salaries, if you were they may be 2-3 times the salaries of the US. ****Politics *** and Graft.

Expect 1 week of vacation and 1 week of sick leave a year and they do not roll over, that is the new mandate regardless of years in service, however private enterprises may do better.

The Expat most popular health insurance is SSS (Triple S), accepted almost everywhere, however if you do start working, I am not sure what plans will be available to you. Some people specially young people opt not to have any medical insurance since doctors charge very little compared to the states (40-60% less).

Dorado housing is very expensive, 400k-4000k is very common in that area. You may want to look elsewhere. Hell, Condado is cheaper than Dorado.

My wife is Gringa, she is using https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Spanish-Fl … B002ZF31NQ to learn Spanish, I HIGHLY recommend it, it is working real well for her.

If you are a facebook user, you may want to also request membership in our facebook group, you will need to answer 3 questions so pay attention when you apply. https://www.facebook.com/groups/4546107 … ;ref=notif

Hi ALL! Just wanted to say, 'Hi'! I moved to PR in Oct 2016. I'm loving it. I own a small business that provides services to people moving to and from the Island. I am also looking to secure a work from home position as soon as possible. Any info on this would be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting more people soon.

Sara,

Rey ALWAYS recommends Xpats to rent first.

I just want to say:

(1) long-term rentals are very hard to come by, and you almost need to know somebody who knows somebody who's soon vacating to get one at a reasonable price, and

(2) if you know in what area you want to live, buying might be preferable to throwing you money away renting. I knew exactly where I wanted to be, so I concentrated on finding and buying a place there. Realtors are lazy and you need to be on top of them, but with persistence, you can land a nice place in either Dorado or San Juan. There are many more places for sale than for long-term rental right now.

Sara,

I wouldn't get into a purchase too soon. There's quite a "learning curve" here in PR and one needs time to experience what the Island has to offer. (good & not so good)

The economy was on life support before Maria, and now there's even less hope of improvement in the near future. Many people can't support their families in this environment and need to leave but can't because their stuck trying to unload their homes. Buyers are scarce, so long term renters can be an attractive fix for homeowners needing to bailout and stay away from a foreclosure.

Place an ad in Clasificado Online and see what happens.

It is of the outmost importance to know where you want to live regardless of purchasing or renting. Purchasing in the wrong place can become a nightmare as reselling the property later may go very slowly due to market conditions in PR and the amount of properties for sale that you will be competing against. Renting lets you experience the island with noting to tie you down to an area or even to PR. If you find that PR is not for you, you just break the lease and pack your bags, no money lost or tied down for many years to come.
It is your life, you know what is best for you.

maxisunsand wrote:

Hi ALL! Just wanted to say, 'Hi'! I moved to PR in Oct 2016. I'm loving it. I own a small business that provides services to people moving to and from the Island. I am also looking to secure a work from home position as soon as possible. Any info on this would be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting more people soon.

Hi maxisunsand,
Welcome to the group. If there is something we can help you with let us know.
Rey

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies! This has all been very helpful and I have refined my plan after giving the move even more thought than I already have :) Rey, as I'm sure you're aware since you live in MA and visit RI often - the housing market here is very scarce and buyers are jumping on every home that comes up for sale. My plan to list in August is too aggressive since I believe it will sell quickly. This wouldn't be a bad thing if I didn't plan on staying through summer 2019 to help my parents move in and decorate their home in Provincetown, which they have gotten finally gotten approval to start building this fall and will be completed in March 2019. Therefore it makes more sense to list my house in March, and if it sells quick - move in with my parents for a little bit until making the move in August/September.

Additionally I plan to start searching for jobs when my house sells with the understanding that I may need to move sooner if I land an opportunity. Thanks Rey for the Spanish learning tool recommendation, but I have purchased a program from Rocket Languages already :) I have seen Project Management/similar jobs with salary ranges of $50 - $60k, which would not be bad. I'm hoping my resume will stand out - especially with my career at Hasbro, a work award I received recently, and volunteer work within the community. Fingers crossed!

Eezy, your point on the state of the economy there right now is also reflected with current homes for sale; I have seen several foreclosures in Dorado listed that have already come and gone, and a couple that are still listed; I assume there are structural issues with these homes given how long they've been listed. The foreclosures that seem to be in great shape do not last long on the market there.

My love for PR came during a family trip we took in February, and as it turns out - my parents loved it so much that they are looking at homes for sale in Vieques. They'll be returning early June to look at more and hopefully will find one they love! Their experience looking at houses so far has led me to the decision to rent for a year before I make the commitment to buy one; it will be easier than having to take time out of work for potentially multiple trips looking at homes for sale.

I'd like to rent in or close to San Juan; I've noticed that 90% of the listings (on Zillow) are very, very expensive and also much larger than the house I currently live in, haha - but there are a couple of affordable options listed right now. When it comes time for me to search, I'm hoping to get lucky. I would also consider getting a roommate if it were necessary.

Clasificado Online is the PR version of Craigslist - this is an excellent resource! This is a place that is reasonable and I would look at if I were planning to make the move sooner: http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … ID=1457688

I'm continuing to learn a lot and there isn't a day that goes by when I don't think of PR. Each step of the journey getting there is going to feel like a huge accomplishment. Thanks again for any advice/ words of wisdom from experience anyone can provide about housing and/or employment!

Hey Sara, I listed my property in MA today and had my first open house late this afternoon. 6 people show up. One lady that was at the open-house today just texted that she wants to comeback tomorrow to check the place again. SO yes it looks like things will move fast.

Your idea of waiting until March 2019 makes a lot of sense to me.

Hi! Where do I find the button to make a post? Sorry if I'm being a bit of a noob but I can't find it anywhere!

Mandywave wrote:

Hi! Where do I find the button to make a post? Sorry if I'm being a bit of a noob but I can't find it anywhere!

Write your post and then, click submit or send. Whatever you did worked, since it got posted here.

Sara,

Get a loan approved (not just preapproved) in PR and then go shopping. Trust me.

Closed