New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Portugal forum? Don’t know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Portugal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi, my name is John and I moved to Porto at the beginning of December. I do not speak Portuguese yet but I am trying to register with a GP practice or Portuguese equivalent. Any advice would be welcome. I would also like to know of any expat meetings/events Tec that I could attend. Thank you.

Hi John, thank you for your introduction.

For better interaction feel free to post/participate on the existing threads of the Porto forum which might be of interest to you.

Also, if you need advice on a particular topic, you may create your own thread.

All the best,

Thank you for your advice. Will post a thread.

Hi all, this is Jimmy.

I'm originally from Quebec, Canada and am raised in Hong Kong, where I reside in currently. I'm finishing my degree in May 2018, and planning to live elsewhere. I've visited Portugal and Spain a few times before and I was very much attracted to living in Portugal.

Partly due to the low cost of living and moderate climate, contrary to Canada where winter is horrible and Vancouver's too costly to live in, I have decided to move to Portugal and looking to start a business there.

I speak English, French and Chinese (both Mandarin and Canto). Hopefully French would allow me to learn Portuguese faster than it would have taken had I not learnt french before. (I know they are nothing more than similar. They are distinct.)

Thank you for your warm welcome, Julien.

I am spending some time in Europe, exploring employment and/or business possibilities. I would like to find a way to have the legal right to live and work in Europe. I am currently visiting friends in the Algarve. Ever since I came to Portugal in 2000 I considered it to be a very enchanting place. Any ideas, suggestions, feedback regarding my intention, would be more than appreciated. I have lived in London and am an avid traveler and reader. I can express myself in several languages and always feel at home in Europe.

I am planning on moving to Portugal in the next two years so I am doing research for a smoother transition.
One thing that does concern me is medical health insurance. I'm happy with my coverage in Ireland but if something went very wrong for me I'd have to get back to Ireland. I have heard about "Emergency Evacuation Health Insurance" which presumably means they will evacuate you somewhere, in my case Ireland where my health insurance would kick in. Does anybody know about this, which insurers provide it, cost etc.?
Any help is appreciated.

Hi my name is Sue Rosser and I'm very happily married to Tyron. We are hoping to stay in The Algarve for 6 months from October this year to March next year and if all goes well maybe move over permanently. Ideally we would like to stay in an expat ares so any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance ☺

Hello Sue,

My wife and I plan to do the same as you do. We are just back from a week in Vale de Telha and the
"Parque natural  Alentejano y Costa Vicentina" and we have been thunderstricken by the peaceful, quiet, awesome lanscapes scenery of this disregarded part of West Algarve.
Some want the buzz, the animations, all of the razzmataz of popular tourists destinations, we don't.

Hi Charles, thank you for your reply to my message. Western Algarve is certainly beautiful & we really hope to eventually make our home there. Good luck to you & your wife, I hope everything works out for you. Who knows maybe the four of us will be able to meet up for a lovely cup of coffee/glass of wine in the sunshine one day.
Regards and best wishes Sue☺

Good morning Sue,

Thank your for these kind words.
Let us hope we can meet indeed one day under the great Southerner sun.

Hi everyone,
We are looking to move to Portugal in the next I year or so. After looking at property prices and what you can get for your money, we would much prefer Lisbon/ Porto or the north, rather than the Algarve.
I met Deb, my wife on the Algarve many years ago. We happily lived there for 8 years.
Now the kids have moved on we can hopefully get back to Portugal.
I have a bathroom and kitchen showroom to look after and need to do a weekly/ 2weekly flight back.
Does anybody know if that's pheasible all year round, from anywhere but Faro?

Mick & Deb