Close

New members of the New Zealand forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the New Zealand forum? Don’t know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in New Zealand if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi I am planning to move to NZ in the near future. It will be nice to meet new people.
Hoping to see the best of what my new home has to offer xx

Hi Folkes,
I have just signed up to try and find the best course of action to applying for a visa to NZ, I am 35  and my fiancé is 30 and we are looking to work and travel within NZ for 2 years approximately, with the intention of possibly Staying. WE are both degree qualified, Mechanical Engineer and Zoologist/ Environmental manager, both working in renewable industries with 8 and 5 years experience on top of various other working experience. I am unsure of the best visa application that we should take, and if to apply separately or together. If someone can point me in the direction of a thread to read or indeed give advise this would be great. We are looking to make the move at the end of the year.
Thanks Matt

Hi Matt,

My husband and I currently live in New Zealand.  My husband is a Mechanical Engineer.  We were able to get a skilled migrant visa based on his degree and experience, which also means we came in as residents.  I recommend looking into this option.  Here is a link to my blog which provides more information.  Hope it helps. 

libyourlife.com/?page_id=517

Please feel free to reach out with any questions, as we're happy to help.

Cheers!
Kristy

Hi Kirsty, thank you for getting in touch. Your link is under review right now so I cannot see it but I'm sure it will come through fine. Where is it you are based. I'm so keen to move from the UK as is my fiancé who it is easier for as she can go under the working visa should it come through. Any help or direction is great to receive. I have even been looking at the whole live in someone else's house option to garden clean etc for free board and food. Just to experience life out there more than a holiday.

Thanks Matt

Hi Matt,

My husband and I live in Christchurch.  We've been living here almost 18 months.   

It appears the link should be approved now  - http://www.libyourlife.com/?page_id=517.  This is the story of our visa process.  I thought it may provide some insight since you indicated you were a mechanical engineer and also over the age of 30. 

We found the visa process to be pretty straightforward and found the New Zealand immigration website to be user-friendly.  Please be aware that criteria for the skilled migrant visa has changed since we applied so you will need to check online for the most recent criteria. 

Cheers!
Kristy

Hi Kirsty,
Yes I believe it has although on the immigration site it appears to still be the same. Apparently you need 160 points now which is near impossible without a job offer. I can come on a 6 month holiday if need be. And just use savings..  going to get the application in next week and job hunting soon after.. if your husband knows of anything I would be grateful for a point in the direction.

Thanks again.
Matt

Hi All  :)

My name is Dominique my Fiance and I are both born and bred South Africans age 35 & 42 we are both hoping to be able to immigrate to New Zealand for a better and safer family life . We have a 7 year old little boy as well so the safety aspect is really a deciding factor for us. We love the Can do attitude of New Zealanders, the Climate, scenery and just so many different aspects. I joined this site to hopefully try and get a bit of a better understanding of how to go about things. I am currently employed as an intermediate life support paramedic, I know New Zealand has other medical requirements for this specific qualification. I have about 6 or more years administration experience in the health care sector . Currently my Fiance is a Coordinator for a provincial dispatch team in the fire fighting sector and is also studying disaster risk management. We both have various skills in other industries too namely English tutoring, tour guide experience, security management, Au pairing, call center experience. Any advice that can get passed along will be greatly appreciated.
Warm & friendly greetings from The Saffa's  :)

Hi there everyone, My name is Maureen and Hubby Shane Vermaak. Age 37 and 42. We have two daughters ages 11 and 13. We are both hoping to immigrate to NZ. We joined this site to hopefully see job offerings in the Petroleum industry. Shane is a National Operations Manager in the petroleum industry.  I am a Wedding Photographer. The way I see it is for him to get a job offering there. Any advice will be highly appreciated.
Warm Regards
Maureen and Shane

My name is Victor am a Nigerian living in Uae,but would love to move over to new Zealand. Am a cake decorator by training, I also have a BA in English/literature.So if there's any way I can be helped through this platform, I would be grateful.