New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

travellight wrote:

The people you will be dealing with  https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinounido … anjeros/75

INM will have the paperwork

Thanks for great info and insight, T-Light.

For readers of this thread...

One more page over from that link you shared I found this:

"Quick Guide To Enter Mexico" (Five languages) ~ click this link to go to page, select language and a .PDF file of the brochure will download/open (depending on individual device settings)

Gordy

Hi Rosiedoll,

My wife and I have lived in Rosarito since July 2014. We owned our condo here for two years before we moved to live here permanently. We both have permanent residence visas and drive a California plated car the car is not a problem as long as you are not leaving Baja with it.

We have not applied for the senior card because others that we have spoken with indicated that it hasn't done much for them.

As for medical care, we are both over 65 and have Medicare. We drive back to San Diego for routine medical exams and tests. However, we will use local resources in emergencies or for minor illnesses that don't warrant a trip north. our dental work is all done locally in Rosarito. We've found the local medical and dental resources to be low cost and adequate for our needs.

Living here on 2500 per month is entirely possible. However, don't expect ocean front living. We are way too close to California and ocean front properties generally command fairly high prices. Not to worry, you can still be close to the water within your budget.

More as your questions arise.

Hello,

We are multilingual family (english, german, slovak). We travel a lot around the world because of my husbands' job. We have two kids (11 and 2 years old) and this summer we are planning to move to Mexico ( we are deciding between Irapuato or Leon) for a few years. My priority is safety and finding a good english international school for kids. I would appreciate any kind of tips, recomendations and comments, pros and cons for those two cities to make it easier for us to decide where to settle for a while. Thank you

Hola  Dana,

Well ,I wouldn't go to either of those places  https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/62-ass … uanajuato/http://sanmigueltimes.com/2017/03/guana … ationwide/

As for staying anywhere in Mexico for years, unless you are a temporary, or permanent resident you can only be here 6 months, leave get a new visa upon return and stay another 6 months.

I would suggest you look further , and visit a Mexican counsel in your home country to see what the rules are for your situation, and what you qualify for.

I also suggest you add another language Spanish, the other languages are not going to be of much help in a Spanish speaking country. Some speak some English here, and only one doctor I met spoke German.

Hello,

I understand. First of all, those to places are not my choice. My husband work contract is here so we are joining him since we are always traveling as a family. Our visa are sorted out and they are certainly longer then 6 months.

So I would really like to get help and tips  on international schools and safety to make my life with two kids easier. Thank you

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Originally from Saskatoon, Canada now living in Merida, Yucatan. First moved to Riviera Maya about 2.5 years ago, life took me to Merida and absolutely love it here. We are building affordable ocean front properties on the beach here in Yucatan state.

Saludos!

DanaGhani wrote:

Hello,

I understand. First of all, those to places are not my choice. My husband work contract is here so we are joining him since we are always traveling as a family. Our visa are sorted out and they are certainly longer then 6 months.

So I would really like to get help and tips  on international schools and safety to make my life with two kids easier. Thank you

Dana , it is a dangerous place, so I have no idea how you can be safe. Perhaps you husband's company has that answer as well as the other answers.

But some ideas might be
http://www.udec.edu.mx/uniamerican/ Possible.  Also You might consider staying in  San Miguel http://www.academysanmiguel.org/

And your husband apparently has a work visa that includes you and your children. You should be familiar with it also.  http://shieldgeo.com/mexico-immigration … k-permits/

Hello there,

Thank you for your honest reply, but now you scaring me. I can see some big international schools in Leon and on forums I can read lots of parents exchanging some information (unfortunately they go back to 2016, so lots of them left Mexico already). So it must be ok to live there. I know Mexico is not the safest country, but we have been to some not so safe places in India, Brazil, etc....

San Miguel sounds better, but it is too far from my husbans work place.

DanaGhani wrote:

Hello there,

Thank you for your honest reply, but now you scaring me. I can see some big international schools in Leon and on forums I can read lots of parents exchanging some information (unfortunately they go back to 2016, so lots of them left Mexico already). So it must be ok to live there. I know Mexico is not the safest country, but we have been to some not so safe places in India, Brazil, etc....

San Miguel sounds better, but it is too far from my husbans work place.

Have your husband talk to the company he will be working for. They have a presence there so they must know what is the safest plan. All of mexico is not unsafe, it's just that area is going through a really bad period. Did the employer help in India and Brazil ?

Most of the killings have been gang related and did not include tourists, with one exception I am aware of at a gas station where a tourist was shot and his truck taken. Gas stations can be tricky there.

I don't want to frighten you, but if I wouldn't go there,   I want to advise caution for people going there.  I hope the employer can advise on a safe area , and I hope they will be honest about the gang issues. Mexico does allow homeschooling if that helps.

:/
thanks, something to think about.

Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I have enjoyed all the information I have gotten here.

My name is Heidi and I live on a small farm in Massachusetts, north of Boston. My husband and I are hoping to move to Mexico in 2 years when he retires. He is fluent in Spanish, and I am "learning".

We have traveled a bit in Mexico, Yucatan and Chiapas mostly, Central America (Guatemala, Honduras) and my husband has been to South America.

I want to live in the mountains where the weather is cool. I would love to ba able to continue horseback riding in my new home, even though I don't want to keep them in my own backyard anymore.

I went back to San Cristobal de las Casas for a couple of weeks two years ago, but it was different than I remembered it (everything changes) and didn't feel quite right.

Now I am researching San Miguel de Allende. I really like the vibrant art community there, and I'm happy that there is a large expat population. My husband is going in April to attend a Spanish language school, and I've planned a trip in August. One of the highlights of my trip will be taking a two day metal arts class. All of my friends think I am nuts anyway, but going to Mexico to weld has them really shaking their heads.  :D

We plan on purchasing a house, even though the real estate prices in San Miguel are quite shocking. The logistics of the move are really confusing right now, but I'm sure in time I will be able to figure it out. I'm a good planner, so that's why I'm starting so early.

Thank you all for your time and your help. Muchas gracias

Hello.
I'm a history teacher for High school, I have lived in Japan and Ecuador, traveled in Austria, France, Germany and Spain. My first overseas job will take me to Mexico city in August. I'll be posted there for two years minimum.
I'll be more active here as we get closer to the travel date.

Hello, I am just looking to introduce myself. I am a recent college graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature. I will be moving to Cancún in a few weeks, on March 10th, in which time I will be seeking to find work as an English instructor either in a private language school or as a private tutor. I'm aware that wages are not what they are like here in the US, and I know there may be some difficulties facing me with such a big move. Over the last few years however, I have fallen in love with this city and it's culture and I am committed to making this work out. If anybody has any advice or knowledge they would like to share, I would love to hear it! The information I've already been reading in here has been very helpful. Anyways, hello to all!!

sherwoodnyhart wrote:

Hello, I am just looking to introduce myself. I am a recent college graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature. I will be moving to Cancún in a few weeks, on March 10th, in which time I will be seeking to find work as an English instructor either in a private language school or as a private tutor. I'm aware that wages are not what they are like here in the US, and I know there may be some difficulties facing me with such a big move. Over the last few years however, I have fallen in love with this city and it's culture and I am committed to making this work out. If anybody has any advice or knowledge they would like to share, I would love to hear it! The information I've already been reading in here has been very helpful. Anyways, hello to all!!

Good for you Sherwood,

Yes it is a lovely city, I visit there a couple of times a year but live in a city that is less touristy and expensive. 

Try to get Mx. dinero rather than using your card for purchases except the hotel.  Just go to the cash exchanges or better yet a bank. It's much safer.
I had someone get my credit card number when I was there in January , my card I.D.ed the fraud, but if you use the card for most things tracking the fraud can be hard. I only use my card in specific ways so my card was alerted immediately. Cash is your friend.

Thank you, I appreciate that!! I was planning on using my card a lot, so I will reconsider some things. Thanks!

sherwoodnyhart wrote:

Hello, I am just looking to introduce myself. I am a recent college graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature. I will be moving to Cancún in a few weeks, on March 10th, in which time I will be seeking to find work as an English instructor either in a private language school or as a private tutor...*snip*

travellight wrote:

Good for you Sherwood,

Yes it is a lovely city, I visit there a couple of times a year but live in a city that is less touristy and expensive. 

Try to get Mx. dinero rather than using your card for purchases except the hotel.  Just go to the cash exchanges or better yet a bank. It's much safer.
I had someone get my credit card number when I was there in January , my card I.D.ed the fraud, but if you use the card for most things tracking the fraud can be hard. I only use my card in specific ways so my card was alerted immediately. Cash is your friend.

Good advice from travellight, sherwoodnyhart.

Here is an in-depth article on that subject from the Mexexperience site:

Basically "Cash Is Still King in Mexico"

Congratulations on your plans!

Gordy

Hello,

I'm from Michigan, and looking to leave the U.S. and winter ASAP! I am a contractor and would like to find a couple properties to fix up and possibly rent out. I'm thinking Merida. Any Suggestions?

Alaric.269 wrote:

Hello,

I'm from Michigan, and looking to leave the U.S. and winter ASAP! I am a contractor and would like to find a couple properties to fix up and possibly rent out. I'm thinking Merida. Any Suggestions?

Yes, come and look, that is the best way to find out what you want to know. I know several reasonable hotels if you need to know about hotels. Plan on a week to get your feet wet then you will most likely know what questions you need answered.

Just moved here from Texas this month.

Im planning on coming down soon. I was wondering if you can give me any advice and buying property in Mexico. I know they dont finance unless you are a citizen or have an established business. Do you know of any other routes to look into? Also what do you recommend for areas that would have decent tourism but not the prices of say Cancun? Thanks for the help!

I have seen a few real estate sites that list "owner" financed.  The condo we just bought the developer would finance but the interest rate was high, they wanted 40% down, and only for ten years.

Indeed, I too could speak way more than comprehend.  It works like that.  Spanish is easy, there are 6500 cognates.  So then you can recognise 6500 words before you ever crack a book.  Try Thai, 33 vowels 44 consonants, five tones.  I'll call you someday about some legal matter, I'm always in trouble.  :D

@ Alaric
Watch your butt.

Hi All;
My wife and I have visited the Yucatán (Progreso) several times and are considering moving there. My wife is retired, but I am about five years away. I'm an IT professional managing the relationship between a crown corporation and our IT infrastructure vendor IBM. Neither my wife nor I speak Spanish, but are looking forward to starting a new life and learning a new language. I have a degree in Technical Communications, one in Engineering Technology, and one in Internet Solutions programming.

We'd be interested in whatever employment opportunities that would allow us a decent standard of living in that region of the Yucatán.

update: I am moving in may. It is coming fast, trying to tie up loose ends. Decided not to drive will sell my car and fly in with my cats. Will pay to send a few things and purchase what else I need. I will get my permanent residency, and use public health care. Not a worry in the world!

Hi, Chris

What are some of your questions??

Oh boy, where to begin? I may be the second most interesting guy in the world according to our esteemed government. A government that I often refer to as Ingsoc from George Orwell's overly prophetic "1984".  A government that I seek distance from. Why? Partially because I was instilled with a strong sense of etiquette. Etiquette that includes "Mind your own business." Almost anything is OK with me so long as nobody gets hurt. That is my code.

Once groomed for a high political position, now I consider a bunker with 2-3 separate layers of reinforced concrete. I've been a prepper for a decade now. Just read "Light's Out" by Ted Koppel. Good read for preppers and scaring the daylights out of you.

Built my own 8000' pole barn with some help on electrical, drywall, and concrete. Also own a bungalow in Denver and a couple rentals in southern Florida. Rich? No....just thrifty. I can't hardly afford $9000/year in property taxes. I need to downsize and simplify.

Ran www.bigmexicanwedding for awhile. Best parties in town. Done a lot of wedding photography, decades of custom aquariums, and a fair amount of solar. Started the life that I can remember outside of Madrid, Spain. Latin culture just feels comfortable.

Hobbies? Thats part of the problem. Never met a hobby that I didn't like. Most prominent interests are currently hiking, solar, Mexico, boating, 4 wheeling, reading, scuba, pets, and ecopolitics. I took every course that the University of Colorado offered with the name International in it. Majored in economics and business.

I have traditional values. I like manly men, feminine women, and believe strongly in the overriding importance of strong families for the maintenance of our social fabric. So I do not favor many current trends one little bit. I'd also like to bring back T-Rex. So I guess I don't lose much sleep over "muh feels".

Oh yea, appearances matter. I am mostly English, German, and Danish. Tall...been compared to Clint Eastwood a couple times. I hike almost every day with my three dogs. Pretty convenient in this Colorado mountain area.

We are looking Seriously at Merida area...as far as rentals/for sale, should we be looking at northern or central homes?
Hoping for water close by...
We constantly peruse the real estate sites...but it's hard to tell where we should be looking.. also open to beach towns within half hour of Merida or cities

Jasmine1955 wrote:

We are looking Seriously at Merida area...as far as rentals/for sale, should we be looking at northern or central homes?
We constantly peruse the real estate sites...but it's hard to tell where we should be looking.. also open to beach towns within half hour of Merida or cities

Well Jasmine progreso is close to Merida , then there are a number of tiny beach areas not far away from Merida. people argue that Progreso is Merida's beach, but in reality 20- 30 minutes ( traffic wise) away ,or 30kl away does not make it part of Merida, but a separate city people from Merida visit.

Sisal is another tiny beach area not too far from Merida, Celestun has beach and flamingos. Note some of these places also have wetlands which means stock up on the repellant and try to get an upper room. I only saw them at night and early morning so during the day is ok.

You have to physically see places, the real estate sites are only entertainment until you know where you are going.

This did help
Thanks
Are these good areas for expats over 60?
Almost no Spanish....

What are the safer and more desirable parts of Merida?

Jasmine1955 wrote:

What are the safer and more desirable parts of Merida?

Merida is a pretty safe area in general with an established expat community. Many people speak at east some English so you should fit in fairly well.

I prefer the newer areas in the north end. but some of the older areas are fine also. You just have to come and see what you think.

Jasmine1955 wrote:

Hi Jasmine, I am from Canada living in north Merida. It depends what you want, downtown is old beautiful colonial style but busy, noisy, crowded, traffic issues. North is new and modern and more laid back.
Progreso (beach) is 20 minutes from Merida. I do it weekly. If you would like some realtor recommendations just let me know, I work with most of them. I also can provide you options on the beach for living, just outside Merida

Hello everyone,

My name is Chuck and I "stumbled" on this site  during a search just by luck ( I hope - LOL) I have had no luck finding a Realtor that will help me and 1/2 dozen don't even reply. Any help or advise on how to find a nice long term rental would be GREATLY appreciated.  How do I find "long term rentals"? This is what I have been sending to Realtors on rentals that I found.

I don't need large but would go for a few extra dollars for a NICEER rental. A 3/2 or a 2/2 would be just fine (both rental and future purchase). I want to be near fellow expats and get to know the various area's before I buy in one. I am looking for a 1 year rental giving me plenty of time to find the purchase.

I do have a 9 lb dog and a cat coming with me. I need a secure yard for my dog, hopefully secure parking as I will be arriving with my truck, a trailer which will have my motorcycle in it. A garage would be (great[/u] but gated secure parking is also fine. Would like AC and see MANY with a pool which would be great. The only furniture I am coming with is my bedroom set. I am bringing all my dishes, pots, pans, towels, sheets etc with me as well. Does not have to be furnished.

I am a contractor here in Colorado, I may also consider buying land and building my home. Also considering active 50+ communities that possibly offer graduated assisted living care as time goes on. I will be 65 in June. I've been concentrating my searches on you MLS services in the area of Bucerias, Gavaotas, Fluvial  and the Vallarta's.

I will be there looking for my rental on May 21 to 24 and hope to move in June - July at the latest this summer. I am staying at the Flamingo Vallarta Hotel and Marina. I land on the 21st at 1:12. I did that so we have some time that day to start looking.

Thank you all in advance...

Chuck
"Denverdiver" in here.

DenverDiver wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Chuck and I "stumbled" on this site  during a search just by luck ( I hope - LOL) I have had no luck finding a Realtor that will help me and 1/2 dozen don't even reply. Any help or advise on how to find a nice long term rental would be GREATLY appreciated.  How do I find "long term rentals"? This is what I have been sending to Realtors on rentals that I found.

I don't need large but would go for a few extra dollars for a NICEER rental. A 3/2 or a 2/2 would be just fine (both rental and future purchase). I want to be near fellow expats and get to know the various area's before I buy in one. I am looking for a 1 year rental giving me plenty of time to find the purchase.

I do have a 9 lb dog and a cat coming with me. I need a secure yard for my dog, hopefully secure parking as I will be arriving with my truck, a trailer which will have my motorcycle in it. A garage would be (great[/u] but gated secure parking is also fine. Would like AC and see MANY with a pool which would be great. The only furniture I am coming with is my bedroom set. I am bringing all my dishes, pots, pans, towels, sheets etc with me as well. Does not have to be furnished.

I am a contractor here in Colorado, I may also consider buying land and building my home. Also considering active 50+ communities that possibly offer graduated assisted living care as time goes on. I will be 65 in June. I've been concentrating my searches on you MLS services in the area of Bucerias, Gavaotas, Fluvial  and the Vallarta's.

I will be there looking for my rental on May 21 to 24 and hope to move in June - July at the latest this summer. I am staying at the Flamingo Vallarta Hotel and Marina. I land on the 21st at 1:12. I did that so we have some time that day to start looking.

Thank you all in advance...

Chuck
"Denverdiver" in here.

Buenas dias  Chuck,

I think I see why you have not had a response. People in Mexico are face to face people. Do you speak Spanish ? that would also help. When  You contact them they decide if you are just taking time asking a lot of questions, or are you serious, if you show up you are probably serious. That is just the way they are here.
Most of us did not bring all of our things for numerous reasons. It is easy to replace most of it at a reasonable cost, if we still want it, Some things are not needed, or do not last in Mexico. The lighter you travel the better. The idea of driving down the tiny narrow road into PV in a truck gives me chills.

Parking is another large problem. It is difficult everywhere. narrow streets for the most part in so-so to good condition with numerous speed bumps/ potholes. It took me a year to get a secure parking garage spot. Parking is a premium issue all over Mexico

I suggest you come and look, and then talk to realtors. Yes you will need a house with a large dog, Is the cat an indoor cat?, Cats on the loose have to be smart , fast ,and tough, because feral dogs as well as owned dogs will kill them.
Check the housing tab on this site for possible other housing ideas.

Buena suerte

Buenas dias  Chuck, I agree with "travelight". Yes, also if you speak spanish it helps

My wife and I are now living fulltime in La Peñita de Jaltemba (80km from PV), we did RVing during 10 years and 4 years renting (both 6 months a year) before finding and we decided to settle down fulltime in La Peñita de Jaltemba.
We moved bringing only 4 suitcases of personal stuff, we don't have a vehicule because we are within 1km from all anyone needs in life (butcher, grocery, pharmacist, doctors, hospital). The INAPAM card if over 60 gives a 50% discount on bus fares so to go and back in Bucerias/Nuevo Vallarta is 122$ pesos or about 7$USD. In our area, you can find rentals from 3500$ pesos in La Peñita to 20000$ pesos (residencial area) per month year round rental and quite a few all included. We decided on renting less maintenance and moving out is easy.

So like "travelight" said come and visit see owners face to face, while walking the streets you could see a sign "se renta".

Adios y buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Buenas dias everyone,

Thank you for that feedback / "Travelight and Mexicogc!!! Just now starting to learn Spanish. Small dog and cat is strictly indoors. I do know the "the Mexican pace and response time" will require an adjustment on my part and that's a good thing - lol. I'm telling these Realtors my dates for coming, where I'm staying and the purpose is to find a rental for my move down around 6/1/18 and future buying plans. Not enough for them to take me seriously?? As I am 65 I am also considering a purchase in a active 50+ community that possibly offer increased assisted care as needed when "looney time" comes - lol. First concern is a rental.

Travelight
The reason I'm driving my pickup truck is that I am bringing most of my smaller power and pneumatic tools. There will always be something for me to do with them and they are just a "part of ME". My 16' trailer will have my touring motorcycle in it. As long as I have it, I'll box up dishes, glasses, sheets wall decorations etc., just because I can. Shipping my MC would actually cost more than this whole idea. After some research I know know my bedroom set is the wrong wood - scratch that idea. However, your comment on the roads concerns me a bit. Truck and trailer are older but in great shape. Trailer is dual axle and has it's own brakes. I expect less than stellar roads but know my rig well. Are they really that bad to cause me to rethink this?? I will just sell the dual rig for whatever once there...

Gracias

Chuck

Yes chuck,
the roads can be that bad. i went through 4 tires a year for two years before I got the knack of driving here. By here I mean over much of Mexico, except the Texas border towns which I know to avoid.

Mexico has unbelievable pot holes , unmarked ,large speed bumps or as they call them here, baches and topes, The road down into P.V. is not well banked, it is narrow, and has no fancy things like guardrails. Imagine the worst back in the hills wilderness roads you have seen, This road and some others can probably beat it. Perhaps it improved a bit since I last saw it, but the rains will likely fix that if it did. Nothing like tropical rain running down a semi paved semi dirt and gravel road to make an almost impassable mess. The best roads to use are toll roads they are in much better shape. So stick to those, avoid roads that say "libre" those are non toll roads.The toll roads are also patrolled by emergency road vehicles. There is no toll road to P.V., it's the only way in and out, other than flying or boats. Sometimes it's not passable.

If you are thinking of getting rid of your rig, it would be better to do it in the states, it becomes another issue here , and you can't have it if you want to become a permanent resident. Oh yes there are ways to import some vehicles, but not many, and it is ridiculously expensive,
The other thing you can do is drive it back to the states to sell it after you unload your stuff. They really don't want U.S. plated cars here. You will have a visitor visa which should be good for 180 days, at say 175 days you could cross the border and return with another visa for 180 days.  In order to bring it in at all you will need Mexican insurance, and a short term import sticker. You can check both of those out online,

I don't know if the realtors took you seriously or not, but schedules and time frames are often pretty loose. As I said when they see you, they will deal with you. You may have given them english information overload. What would work in the U.S. generally will not work here. You will have to adjust to that .

Salud y buena suerte

... Gordy, if I were you, I would ditch the car and also not limit myself to traveling just in Mexico.    You just might like places in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and Colombia for example, even more than you might in Mexico?   You might like Guatemala in spots as well as even in El Salvador?    Getting to Colombia can be as cheap as getting to Mexico, and even cheaper than that still.      Colombian Spanish is easier to get a basic hold of than Mexican Spanish is, as well.    And the music is the best in all of Latin America!

Hi Martin 1415,

I am contacting you as I am coming to SMA early June and I am also trying to make some contacts before hand and also hoping to find some answers to questions I have prior to my arrival.

I have also Europian background and have been and still am living in Australia since many years.

I also need to find a new circle of friends/networking and would be delighted to hear from you.

Cheers Louis

Closed