New members of the Hungary forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Hungary forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Hungary if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello ninamiller,

You will first time in Budapest?
You can search job for example via profession it is the biggest one job advertising website.

Regards,
Peter

Yes this will be my first time visiting Budapest.☺

Oh I'll definitely have to search on there.

Thank you very much for your help Peter! ☺

Your welcome, if you need any help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Greetings.

Just joined. Originally from PH but moved to NL to study. Been living at the southern countryside with the mister and our fur balls. I hope to be able to make friends in the process of getting to know Hungary.  :)

hi Nina Im an Aussie too and would love to meet and chat. Love to find out whats happening back in Oz
and welcome to Hungary

Hai
     This is Pushpan from Sri Lanka New Member for this Forum, I am Planing to Settle in Hungry, Expirence Personal Guide me for Procedures Please.

Hello,

I am Anissa, I've just arrived in Budapest. I moved in with my father who has already been living here for years, but who isn't very integrated (doesn't speak neither English nor Hungarian). I am planning on settling here, at least for some time as I am expecting a baby. I would like to find a job in which I can use my language skills. Since I am here now, I want to learn Hungarian and I've already inscribed myself to a Hungarian language course.

Hi All,
Chris Here, looking at the pros and cons of getting a cheap place to do up and spend as much time as poss, away from the Uk with the wife and occasionally the kids ... Been googling..about best place to live etc , and it makes for heavy reading. I suppose like all things a lot to take in and digest. Ive built a few wood fired ovens, so be great to build one in my own place, I  do traditional lime renders  and plasters (NHL and slaked) so be nice to use my skills on my own project instead of customers over in the UK. (not plugging for work!)
Most of the family enjoy camping, (roughing it and  glamping). When I get the time sea and river fishing and cooking over open fires.
Ive got a fight booked to Debrechen in April spending eight days or so  to try and do a reccie

hi all
i have been to this lovely country when i visit Europe and would love to meet nice people for friendship there. Also would like to have a business partnership in my country too Interest decent people are mostly well come.

Szia, Darrell Vagyok. I am looking to move there for 1 year while traveling through EU.

I would love to finish studying the language, checking out the rich buildings, and just experience something new.

I have lived in S.E.A. for a year and came back home to California to work and finish school.

Any Advice about visas and finding housing would be extremely welcomed.

Sziasztok, Lee vagyok. I'm an English to Japanese freelance translator.

I have a working holiday visa in Hungary and go to a Hungarian language school now. I hope to study arts in Hungarian eventually and possibly would settle here.

I'd very appreciate any advice for taxation on a freelancer :)

HI all, I'm newbie at forum, and moving to Budapest in June for work.
Originally from Kazakhstan,  now have been living in Moscow  for 4 years.

I'm Human Resources person, so any professional connections would be very helpful.
I like any sport activities: skiing, hiking, alpinism, cycling, running - would join some community with a big pleasure.
And also can't imagine my life with no live and warm talks and friends - so intergration to Budapest life will be in a high demand.

Looking forward to my move, and already packing staff :)

Hello yyelena :)

I am from Poland and moving to Budapest for a work in June too. I would like to meet some people who could help me to get acclimated in Budapest as well.
It could be great to integrate there!

Hello everyone!!

I am from Pakistan and it's been a month since I moved to Budapest. This city is beautiful but I still feel homesick at times.

I would love to learn the Hungarian language and meet some new people. :)

Hi
I am from India want to settle and set up a food business in Budapest and need to know all about the procedure about the same .

Hi
I'm Federica from Italy, i'm here in Budapest for an internship and i just trying to know the city better and i would like to meet new people and make new friends :)

I've been living here in Hungary for almost five years already.

Would like to meet other people aside from the closed business circle of friends that we have in Siofok.

Wanna meet up sometime with wonderful people in Budapest on special occasions. I think that would be great.

Just joined here coz some friends in Ireland where I lived before plans to visit me in Budapest.

Hello everybody I am Julian. I have just moved to Budapest with my Hungarian wife. I am from New Zealand but have lived in the UK for 9 years. I am a self employed Pilates teacher. We are living in the 6th district.

Hi everybody!

Just arrived to Budapest from London, UK (after 2 years living there)! Originally from Moscow, Russia. Nice to meet you all!

Rgrds,
Mike

Hello mr peter i was hoping u can give me the best cities in hungary that can provide job oppurtunities for students because im considering on moving there thanks in advance

Hello evryone ima student and im considering on moving to hungary can u tell the best cities for sutdying and working part jobs at the same time

Indeed I am a newbie, and I also saw a thread to get feedback on (forum) newbies, I live with my wife in Hungary now for 4 years (close to Keszthely). Personally I am quite happy, even if there are loads of topics to complain about (health care, lack of professionals (most of them working abroad), (in my area) lack of international restaurants, ....).
In general I am very happy though, Good houses, a considerable part of land, I really like Hungarians (friendly, helpful). Even if Westerners are largely considered as milk cows, I think we should appreciate Hungarians being open, friendly and helpful. If for example you exercise a hobby, dancing, football, .. they appreciate you for qualities, not assets.
In the UK, Netherlands, Lux, France or Germany you will also face issues, bottom line in Hungary there are items to deal with but not less then in other countries (perhaps in different areas though).

A few more words on introduction, I am 56, I have my own company in Hungary (net HUF 150.000 pm), I am married, live close to Keszthely, big garden (free vegs and fruits from my wife), 4 cats and 1 dog (GSD) (GSD should be 2 or 3, if you have male puppies, please let me know).

I do understand loads of the (negative/pessimistic) comments on the forum, but I also learned grass is not always greener at the other side (of the border). Personally I am not really tied to any country (although my wife really loves the local infra-structure) and TRNC, Sri Lanka or Cambodia (the latter 2  for me a bit negative with too many nasty insects). would be very attractive as well, Hungary is more then fine for me though, I live good, I get health care, I even get pension (working for my own Hungarian company).

A few specific local pluses I would like to mention, annual card as a resident (for my wife) for Heviz lake, cheap good theatre (which we visit as often as we can), good restaurants (even if only Hungarian food), good neighbours, not too much of bureaucratic hassle (even if there are a lot of complaints, other countries are not always better or even worse).

Of course if you have an income of EUR 300 pm, life is not easy at all, but if you have some assets you can live like a king and support local economy as well,. In my view if you have your own property (mortgage free), EUR 1500 pm will be excessively sufficient to live a very good life.

Hello everyone,
Is it difficult to get part time jobs for international English, Hindi speaking student in Hungary(Budapest)?

Thanks for any response.
Best regards, good day.

Hi everyone,
We are married couple still lives in the U.S, but hopefully we will be retire in Budapest in a couple of years.

Hi all, I am moving to Budapest in early August. I am not sure where I will be living as the school I am going to work for is arranging all of that and I haven't heard anything yet. I visited briefly for 3 weeks this past summer, but was only really in the city for the weekends. I am definitely going to be looking to meet people since I am moving by myself. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Kristin

Hi there,

It's been 9 months already since I move to Budapest for my studies, but I still feel like a newbie! :)
I'm an artist and art teacher and I'm here to study animation. So far so good, I really like the atmosphere of this city, magnificent buildings and old school trams..!
But I have to say I'm a bit lost, I was hoping to get some help about how to find and connect to art lover expats here in BP.

Nice to meet you all :)

Hi ya'll, am new here and in Hungary as well. Been here couple of months and am kinda bored....I would love to make new friends. Am from Nairobi, Kenya and I live in Budapest area...cheers

Hello everyone i am Damien

i am about to move to west lake Balaton from Australia and looking forward to immersing myself in the culture, language, food, music
and hoping to find the rest of my unknown family

G'day Damien and welcome to Hungary.
Great to see that another aussie is here. Hope you find and enjoy this beautiful country. Ever in Budapest give us a oi, be good to catch up with a fellow Australian

Hello everybody,

I am about to move to Budapest in 3-4 months. I will be looking for a roommate for the first couple of months and of course I will be looking forward to meeting new people over there.

:)

Hey bittabi,

I have a friend who could maybe do with a roommate but I would have to ask her first. She by no means would mind sharing with a man as long as you do not mind sharing with a woman. (Your profile does not say what sex you are but it doesnt matter).

She is called ibolya  (a common Hungarian name)  and has a flat in central budapest with a spare room. She needs the whole place decorating, the wife and I are going to do the decorating hecause we are very good at that. But I would have to ask her first. She is a work colleague of my wife's. She is very lovely woman and easy going and she can show you around Budapest, she is Hungarian but speaks good English,.

Hello,
This is Evelyn Hopp. I just move to Budapest a week ago with my Hungarian husband. We are from New York, New York. We are both retired health care professionals. I am looking forward to meeting new people.
Evelyn

Hello angryfatcat,
Let us know when you get to Budapest. Would like to meet me with you guys.

Ehopp wrote:

Hello,
This is Evelyn Hopp. I just move to Budapest a week ago with my Hungarian husband. We are from New York, New York. We are both retired health care professionals. I am looking forward to meeting new people.
Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, sorry not to reoply to you earlier but gmail tends to rather hide emails so I only just noticed.

Welcome to Hungary and welcome to Expat-com... we hav e a thread called "Anything else" where anything off-topic is just fine, it is a good place to hang out.

I hope you wll enjoy Hungary very much, there is no translation for "a New York minute". Relax, put your feet up and enjoy your retirement, it is a good country to enjoy it in.

Hungarian language is not that difficult to learn really, my Hungarian is not brilliant but I get by day by day.

I have been to New York a couple of times for work and pleasure but  I don't know it well. I took a small flight, a fourteen-seater aircraft back from Toronto to I think Newark, and I am not sure if the pilot was just pleasing herself but we glided in over the Empire State Buildng and the Hudson and the Statue of Liberty at about 9pm, and it was just wonderful to see it fromths tiny plane. Not possible now of course. I was in mid-air when 9-11 happened on my way to Venice.

Budapest is a good launchpad to go visting everyhwere in Europe. We are not all the same pepole we are not as homogenous as the US. But have lots of fun and explore different cultures and new adventures.

Thank you for you kind words...I am enjoying Budapest.

Ehopp wrote:

You will get on well with a lady called Marilyn Tassy she is a fellow retired American and married to her Hungarian husband. Look out for her posts. :)

SimCityAT wrote:
Ehopp wrote:

You will get on well with a lady called Marilyn Tassy she is a fellow retired American and married to her Hungarian husband. Look out for her posts. :)

I am not sure that I would describe Sassy Tassy as a lady. She was a croupier in Las Vegas, many years ago, and somehow even on Internet chat she has managed to deal me from the bottom of the deck and I owe her $450 (according to her), which is rather unladylike. Especially since we were only playing cribbage at a forint a spot.

I have never met her inreal lfe,  I think she was born in Hawaii, and you can never trust a  Hawaiian, because their i's are too close together.

Ehopp wrote:

Hello angryfatcat,
Let us know when you get to Budapest. Would like to meet me with you guys.

I have a big cat, just a domestic tabbz cat but he was a stray and  well a few years ago it seems that he  adopted us, and he is not overweight just rather large. He is called Fat Cat. I am not the expert on feline nomenclatura, but he is just Fat Cat. He gets a bit spoiled he had roast chicken yesterday Sunday,, and a sausage sandwich, and ice cream. He is a bit picky so he has gone off eating his cat food again, just easier to feed him scraps from the table. We love him very much. We are not sure how old he is but he was about 8 years old when he adopted us so he must be about 15 now. Hw loves coming and going as he pleases, and that is qute right, he spends most of his time in what I laughably call the garden just sunning himself. He loves a bit of British mature cheddar, but we get that from Aldi.

SimonTrew wrote:

Hey bittabi,

I have a friend who could maybe do with a roommate but I would have to ask her first. She by no means would mind sharing with a man as long as you do not mind sharing with a woman. (Your profile does not say what sex you are but it doesnt matter).

She is called ibolya  (a common Hungarian name)  and has a flat in central budapest with a spare room. She needs the whole place decorating, the wife and I are going to do the decorating hecause we are very good at that. But I would have to ask her first. She is a work colleague of my wife's. She is very lovely woman and easy going and she can show you around Budapest, she is Hungarian but speaks good English,.

Hello SimonTrew,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am a married man and my first choice would be staying with a male roommate. I have around 2-3 months before I arrive at Budapest. I will be looking for a roommate by the time I arrive at Budapest because I have to start working right away without any chance to look around for a roommate.
But if I can not find someone to stay, I might be asking you for the availablity of that lady's apartment.

Thank you very much.

Closed