New members of the Ghana forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ghana forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ghana if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello,

I'm Loretta, I'll be moving to Ghana next week. I'm excited and also nervous. It'll be me and my 9yr old daughter.

I'm happy to have a place like this to come for information and help.

Regards,
Loretta

Welcome! Enjoy your time here.

Hello everyone,

I am coming to Ghana since 1995. Every year me and my wife come for holiday to Ghana and during that time we stay at our familiehouse in Kumasi.
Since last year I start playing golf in Holland. In Kumasi I like to play golf as well. So I need somebody who want to play with me during my stay. This June I will be in Ghana.
I hope to get some golffriends.

Hello folks!

I will be moving to Accra, Ghana in June to work and live for a year. I am a recent graduate and will be working at one of the universities as a design lab coordinator. I'm looking to expand my social connections there and also get advice on living in Accra. Thanks!

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay and am sure people will be willing to answer any questions you have. Also look on the How to section of accraexpat.com as there is lots of good advice there

Hello,

I am from Los Angeles, CA and I've really been looking into visiting Ghana. I have done a lot of research and have watched tons of videos about expats in Ghana, and I have searched through these forums about employment, but I still have trouble unearthing the job opportunities for a person that only speaks English (for now).

I was wondering.. are there jobs there that pay wages that are similar to the US? I was a basketball coach and a technical recruiter that paid me over $70,000USD a year. Is that possible in Ghana?

I am taking a course to receive a TEFL certification to teach English. I know teaching jobs do not pay as nearly as how much my previous jobs were, but can I make a decent living off of being an English teacher and a basketball coach? 😂

If you are expecting $70 000 a year then I don't think Ghana is for you. You definitely would not get anything like that if you came here and expected local hire. If you look at the website for the international schools you may qualify for a good salary + accommodation etc. Good luck

Living partly in Takoradi as trailing spouse.

Hello Everyone,

I am Lyssa, I visited Ghana for a month last year and fell in love with the culture, people, music and of course some of the food. My goal is to live and work in Ghana. I am currently looking for employment.

I am so happy to be part of a community for help and information, thank you. I look forward to meeting new people and networking.

I would love to meet up with other expats and trailers  if anyone is in Takoradi.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please + post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are doing great.

I am planing to visit Accra within one or two weeks. I am a businessman from Dubai and looking to setup business and trade from Accra as well.

As it's  my very first trip to Ghana and I am very much confused about good places to live and then after work with whom I will sit and have some good quality time. All these questions are coming in my mind.

I will be really grateful if someone have sharing or private room for short terms (one to two months) and also I want to know that how I can have good friends over there as well. Whoever want to connect with me please leave me message.

And I will request you all to please guide me about residence near Airport or Legon areas.

Last thing which I want to say here that I do smoking so it's better to inform.

Looking forward for your response.

Faisal

I wouldn't know about kumasi but if you were in accra i could recommend a golf club where you could definitely find someone to play with.

Faisal, I think you'll do well in Ghana. I have a friend whose brother has rooms that he leases(month to month) let me know if you've already found one or if you're still looking. Thanks

Hello Lyssa, I'm happy to hear that you loved your trip to Ghana. I think you can look for an American company that'll send you there. That way, you'll get paid enough and you know your retirement plan is in place.

Hello Maiir,
                   Kindly search for NGO jobs in Ghana and American companies in Ghana. You can find something. Good luck

MeltB, I'm happy to hear you're going to Ghana for a year. I'm pretty sure you'll probably be working at the University of Ghana. I can link you up with a few people that you can hangout with to help you settle in. Thanks

Rita

Loretta,
        I'm glad to hear you're moving to Ghana. I've been trying to find a job that will send me out there but it doesn't seem to be happening lol. I actually sent my 9 year old daughter to Ghana and she attends a school called GIS. I'm in Ghana quite often so hopefully we can have a play date at some point.

Rita

Hello,
I hope everyone is doing fine.
My name is Kebeh👍. I studied at Legon (UG) undergrad and graduate school. I am returning to Accra in July with my three daughters. 4,7 and 9... Thank you.

Welcome back😊

Hi Everyone. I'm Rach. I'm currently living in the North of China. I plan to move to Ghana in early August. I'm keen to find ESL work there, but I'm curious, what qualifications do you need? I have been working as an ESL teacher in China for 2 years. Also does anyone have any contacts there I could reach out to send me resume to. We will live in Accra and possibly eventually move to Kumasi. TIA.

Hello Auschick77,
      I think you should look online for schools such as Lincoln Community School, GIS, SOS. I'm not sure of schools in Kumasi because I never lived there, though I'm Ashanti. Thanks

If you want a well paid job in education then you need to apply from overseas as getting a job on local hire means a local salary with no benefits. Teaching ESL has a variety of opportunities but mainly teaching adults. I do  informal teaching of adults here in Accra but not sure of Kumasi.

Hi

Is there a Pakistani community in Ghana?

Regards

Hello to everybody am  a citizen in Ghana I have been and school on Ghana for almost 29 years.

Hi,

I'm coming for working on a Big project on Tema harbour. And it will be my first time in Ghana. So I'm looking for contact.

Hello to all,

Having just moved to Tema to work on the expansion project of the port, I seek to get acquainted outside my professional circle.

IMPORTANT -> I am married and happy in housekeeping. So no need for female contact ...

Thank you and good day

Welcome.
Look on accraexpat.com for events and the various interest groups here in Accra where you will be able to meet people.
There is also Ghana International Expats on Facebook which is good for finding out what is happening in Accra.

Hi all
we have 3 kids, father is Ghanaian and we are thinking of moving to Ghana. Now ive read though a few forum discussions but i wanted to know if it would also be better to apply for a visitors visa for all 4 of us, and then apply for residency for myself, as well as dual citizenship for the girls once we arrive in Ghana?

Yes, come on a visitor's visa and you will be able to convert them to resident's permits once you are here. Not sure about dual citizenship as my Ghanaian husband has a daughter who was born in Papua New Guinea and he was told she couldn't get it till she was 18. She got a resident's permit for 4 years.

Hello everyone,

My name is Akil and I'm moving from Munich, Germany to Accra, Ghana in November 2018. I'm really looking forward to experiencing the new culture and have a new view of the world.

Super interested in meeting new people, learning new things, especially local ones and to enjoy life.

I appreciate any tips & advice and will start looking for an shared apartment in Osu (Accra) soon.

Best,

Akil

Hi
Hope you enjoy your stay. If you look on accraexpat.com/classifieds and you will see a room advertised there

Hello Akil,
     I hope you enjoy your stay in Ghana. Do not hesitate to reach out to any of us, if you need to find something. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Rita

Thank you, I will.

Hello everyone!!

It feels so good to be here although I'm new.
my name is Joseph. I'm Nigerian by nationality and I arrived in Accra with my Nigerian international passport as well as my certificate of vaccination/immunization for yellow fever. I am currently sharing an apartment with a friend and I am planning to move to Kumasi to live on my own because the lifestyle in lashibi, Tema metropolitan Area of Accra where I'm sharing is quite expensive especially the rent and cost of living and I'm a job seeker. I'm a  b.sc degree holder in physics, what are my chances of getting a teaching job in Kumasi and in any other sector being a graduate in  physics and what's the cost of rent for a single room with bath and kitchen compare to Accra? please your response will help me plan as I'm on a low budget of personal savings.
thank y'all.

Hello Joseph,
             I think you should try different locations and areas in either Accra or Tema first since Teaching May pay more over there than Kumasi. Kumasi is a nice place and you may like it but, it depends, since they're more Conservative. You can try housing in the Madina, Taifa, Adenta area and see. There're lots of International schools in Ghana that'll employ you so kindly ask around Lashibi or look on the internet for the various international schools and apply to some of them.

Good luck

Rita

I appreciate your response. I will give it a trial.

Hi.  I am coming to Ghana at the end of November to do some research regarding doing business in Ghana.
I provide second hand commercial catering equipment/refrigeration/shelving etc to Hotels,supermarkets and bars.
If everything looks good I would be looking to move from the UK to Ghana around January 2019.
If anybody has any feed back regarding the potential for this sort of business I would be very grateful.
Many Thanks

Frank

I suggest you look at the equivalent of yellow pages for similar businesses in Ghana.
Lots of new bars, restaurants and hotels in Accra and other areas of Ghana so should be a market.
Also look into the rules for importing seconhand equipment and the duty involved.
Good luck with your venture

Closed