New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Everyone has different tolerances for cold - and heat.

Even as a child in Quito, a light jacket was always enough for me.  Although it could get cool at night and we had a fireplace, we did not use it that often.  Even camping out on the slopes of Pichincha where we'd get a light frost in the morning, a light jacket was all that was necessary.

And no need to bring a parka with you - you can always buy stylish and unique artisan-made jackets and chompas of llama wool and ponchos in and around Quito at good prices.

Quite true.  Was a joke because most of California has weather that ranges in temperature between that of Cuenca and that of Guayaquil with the most populous areas being closer in climate to Loja.  It's one of the few places in the U.S. that people consider perfect as far as the climate.  As someone originally from an area in the US that had snow more than six months a year, I can agree that temperature is relative.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to move somewhere I wouldn't need to heat my house to survive.  The first night I spent in Quito (shivering at a hotel that didn't have heat) convinced me that Quito was not the place for me.  But everyone is different and I didn't intend to imply otherwise or offend those that like a cooler climate.

Thank you - OsageArcher and Antialised -- I appreciate the climate comment that is one thing that I will def miss in California as anything below a 70F is freezing to me... So I will be bringing all my blankets with me haha. I just noticed that most expats are of a retired age -- not saying old-- but is there anyone my age that would help with any advice  or is this a country that would only be beneficial for those of the older generation?

In 2016 over 10 million inhabitants of Ecuador's 15+ million were between the ages of 15 and 64:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/789 … r-ecuador/

Only a little over 1 million inhabitants are 65 years of age or over.  So you'll fit right in with the general age range of the population, no problem.

City people tend to have a more prolonged adolescence and I'd imagine that's also true here in Ecuador, so I'd imagine a city like Quito would be better suited for you.  In the country, where I'm from and where I moved, most people have kids and a house by your age, so fun has a different meaning for most younger people from the city.  However, since I'm old (turning forty in a couple of months) and retired, I may not be the best person to comment.

Hello, my name is Carl. My wife Cristina (from Brazil) and I live in Dallas, Texas. We intend to move to Manta, Ecuador in 2019. Almost two years ago we bought a building lot in a very nice subdivision outside of town with the intention of building a house. However, we have recently decided that this is too difficult to accomplish, so we are going to sell our lot and buy a condominium (already built). The process of packing up and moving our lives is quite intimidating but we are committed, and would love to hear from others who have already done or are in the process of doing the same thing.

Hello Everyone!

My name is Oscar, I'm from Russia. My gf and I are travelling in Ecuador right now. We absolutely love this country.

Currently, I live in San Clemente, small village on the coast in Manabi province. I've been here for a while and would love to help with various questions.

Thanks

Hi Oscar- I'm so glad you're enjoying Ecuador. I'm interested in moving there from USA, and am just starting. Any tips?
Thanks, Koz!

Hello everyone. I'm Koz and would love to start the process of living in Ecuador. It sounds very exciting and adventurous. So many questions! Can I get temporary resident status before I move?
Thank you all!!

Dear Koz,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com...

This thread is reserved for the self-introduction of new members.

To ask your questions properly, please use the searchbox on the welcome page of the Ecuador forum.

Or start a new topic thread, also accessible at the forum welcome page .. or below on this page near the Quick Post option.

cccmedia near the Ecuador-Colombia border

Hello Everyone,

I'm Mel and I'm 53 and preparing to retire in 2 years.  I have no plans to move permanently to Quito but I am planning on splitting my time between the US, Thailand, and at least 1 other country for the first few years of retirement, or at least until my kids begin to have children.    I will be in Quito for 5 days July 5-10, 2018.  My Daughter will be in Quito for 8 weeks receiving clinical hours at the Novaclinica Santa Cecilla before attending PA school and I am coming along for a short ride.  I was previously intending to spend my time in Costa Rica but after much research have decided to entertain other options such as Ecuador.  I would truly appreciate the opportunity to meet one or more US Expats for coffee or a beer to get the run down from feet on the ground about living in Quito. 

Thanks for reading my rant and have a great day,
Regards,
Mel

Hi, I'm Jane, and I've begun to entertain the idea of retiring to Cuenca (several years out yet, as few as 3, as many as 10); it would be myself and my sister.  I tend to over-research anything I do, and so I came across this site, and it seemed perfect.  Nice to meet you all.

Hello, my name is Vincent and I am a retired hotel/resort GM that has operated properties from Vermont to Bali.  A few years ago I was looking at retiring to Cuenca but things were put on hold to focus 100% on my son attending University.  Well, that's been accomplished and now it's my turn to pickup where I left off.  Over the next year I want to revisit all aspects of relocating and plan on a visit to get 1st hand knowledge of life in Cuenca.  I would have liked to visit this year but another major trip has already been planned to Paris with my son before he leaves the nest.  My next trip, which will be to Ecuador will most likely be  next summer when my son and I will come down for a few weeks.  If all goes as well as I think, I would like to plan on 3 months the following winter for a couple of years until my son graduates.  Then, I should know enough about my choice to make necessary plans to move to Cuenca permemently.  Start fresh with a new beginning.  Sorry to ramble but just wanted to establish a sort of 'time-line' that will eventually show my intension to relocate.  Looking forward to the forum and will be keeping up with as much advice as possible.  Thank you for allowing me to join this community.

¡Hola a todos ustedes!  My name is Michael and I'm planning to travel to Ecuador in the fall for about a month,  with my eye on the possibility of residency in the near future.  I'm planning to stay in the area around Manta, perhaps a  beach town nearby. I hope to explore the country but stay somewhere as a base camp.   I've been taking a beginner's Spanish class and trying to learn as much as I can before I go, and hope to take Spanish lessons in Ecuador as well.  I'm not sure if I should stay in a resort or rent a condo but I'm researching my options. I'm into kayaking, snorkeling, boating, swimming , trekking and exploring the natural world so I am always on the lookout for an adventure. I'll be travelling alone which is great because I meet people easily and really enjoy a good fiesta! 
I'm a very experienced professional chef and have spent my career in fine restaurants, hotels, resorts and catering, so I may be on the lookout for some kind of opportunity in the hospitality industry.
My initial goal is to meet people in the expat community and other travelers with experience in Ecuador, therefore I am looking for a place where English is fairly common, as I know my beginner's Spanish won't hold up in conversation and there are many things I need to do and learn.
I appreciate the opportunity to a part of this group, and would welcome contact from anyone who may be able to offer some perspective.           Muchos Gracias           Michael

Koz wrote:

Hi Oscar- I'm so glad you're enjoying Ecuador. I'm interested in moving there from USA, and am just starting. Any tips?
Thanks, Koz!

Posters, please note that this thread is reserved for self-introductions-only of new members.

Requests for tips .. and climate-related posts should be introduced at existing threads on the respective topics or by starting a new thread, the latter being an option available at the Ecuador forum welcome page. :)

cccmedia in Quito
member, Expat.com Experts Team

I am new to this forum. I just returned from my first visit to Ecuador. I was north of Manta for 5 weeks. Loved the climate, ocean and people. Due to tax implications of becoming a tax resident where I am now (Colombia) I am looking for other spots to spend 6 months a year. Due to its proximity and my first, very enjoyable stay, I am looking to learn more from expats on the ground. Driving back and forth is an option and would make bringing comfort items that may be difficult to come by easier. Who knows, I could end up here perminently someday.

I am from Veenzuela, and I have lived in Quito for one year. I like this country adn I plan to stay here for good. I lke to meet people from other countries.
I am a Software Engineer and work for a canadian company.

I am from the United States and am planning to take a year off and live around the world with my husband and 2 children. We'd like to live in Cuenca for the first leg of our trip and are planning to stay for 3 months. 

Any information you can share about ways to expose my children (~11/12 years old) would be helpful.  I"m also interested in the best way to continue my Spanish language education while in Cuenca.

Thank you for your advice!

Worldschoolfor4 wrote:

I am from the United States and am planning to take a year off and live around the world with my husband and 2 children. We'd like to live in Cuenca for the first leg of our trip and are planning to stay for 3 months. 

Any information you can share about ways to expose my children (~11/12 years old) would be helpful.  I"m also interested in the best way to continue my Spanish language education while in Cuenca.

Thank you for your advice!

It's perhaps better if you start a separate thread asking questions as this one is mainly for introductions. There are members who have families in Cuenca so hopefully they might see your questions and reply. From personal experience, and whose kids lived in Ecuador, the best way to expose children to culture and language is through friends, neighbors and school. I don't think all will apply to you as you'll only be in Cuenca three months. But traveling, and better yet living in various countries can be  a rewarding experience, my kids are as result multilingual, and hopefully Spanish will be yet another language they're fluent in.

All the best, and happy and safe travels.

Hello all, I am just looking into this.  I will hit my minimum retirement age in 4 years and I am thinking about seeing and living in other countries.  I lived in Germany as a child and have been lucky to be here 3 times as an adult.  -- Stephan

To be clear I live in Germany now but am interested in Ecuador after retirement.

Hi My name is Mike,

I am 35 years old and collecting VA disability.  I am debating if I should move down to Ecuador and pursue a degree online.  I find it hard to navigate online and get REAL information.  If anyone is currently living there as an expat and has any tips or advice PLEASE PM me as I am very interested on whether this is a viable option for me.

Thank you!

Yes you can get temp. residency but 90 days on passport and the extensions available you can be here up to a year so figure what's best for you

blbholdings wrote:

Yes you can get temp. residency but 90 days on passport and the extensions available you can be here up to a year so figure what's best for you

Once in a while, I have to disregard the intros-only caveat of this New Members thread .. to make a correction or challenge a possibly false assertion.  This is one of those times.

I do not believe it is legally possible for an Expat to remain in Ecuador for a full year as a tourist.

The concept of a passport tourist stamp and extensions remaining valid for a year was not linked or documented by the poster .. and I consider it dubious.

cccmedia, member of expat.com experts team

Sorry I didn't link all the particulars and cite the code but it is not impossible if you have the right lawyer with the right connections because I have done it as well as a couple of friends. As I stated do what is right for him. We had our reasons for not seeking temp. residency at this time and chose the route we did.
Thank you and always do your homework as the moderator should have stated instead of calling it dubious

Most new arrivals have no clue who is an immigration attorney with such heavy juice. Certainly such a person was not identified on this thread.

So your claim of one year on a tourist stamp and extensions is not documented and not generallly available, IMO.

cccmedia

Hi Julie,

Thank you, I am an American citizen with a small daughter . I am very interested in either homeschooling or finding someone who knows how to do so or a tutor. Is there any group or people that I could contact on that regard. Many thanks

I just want to say hi and thanks for allowing me in your network

You will have to return to the US to have your documents apostilled by the secretary of state. In NC they had same day service if you applied in person so I drove to the capital and dropped it off at10 am  and picked it up at 4 pm.

My introduction!  My name is Mark and I am a 60 year old (really pass for 50, though) abogado practicing law in Peachtree City, Georgia, USA.  I will be in Cuenca on October 31st, 2018  and would REALLY love to meet many expats during my two week stay, to enlighten me, be my friends, or even...romance? (no, that's asking too much!) 
My plan is to permanently move to Equador in May of June next year.

:)

marko727 wrote:

I am a 60 year old abogado practicing law in Peachtree City, Georgia, USA.  I will be in Cuenca on October 31st, 2018  and would REALLY love to meet many expats during my two week stay, to enlighten me, be my friends, or even...romance?...
My plan is to permanently move to Equador in May of June next year.

Dear Mark,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ....

Usually this new-members thread is restricted to self-introductions such as the one you posted.

However, in this case, I ask the Home Office to allow me to advise... that there is no 'q' in Ecuador.

cccmedia

Hello
I am new to the forum! Recently arrived in Quito and will be staying here for 2 months. I will be taking Spanish lessons while i am here. I am looking for information on teaching English here in Quito - would greatly appreciate any help. I also enjoy hiking, rock climbing and camping and looking for new friends with similar interests.
Cheers!

Welcome Jessica!  You may want to search for threads specifically about teaching English in Equator to answer your questions, give you a place to ask additional questions.  Good luck.

Hi Mike; I am living in Quito with my VA disability. I applied and received a retirement visa through the Ecuadorean Embassy that provides the visa based on my VA disability and grants an initial 2 year temporary permanent visa. Your vocational rehabilitation benefits can cover online courses or you can attend colleges in Ecuador as well.  With you visa, you can leave up to 90 days each year and still maintain your temporary permanent visa. Before the end of the 2 year period, you can apply for a permanent visa if you desire. Best of luck!

Godofpie wrote:

You will have to return to the US to have your documents apostilled by the secretary of state. In NC they had same day service if you applied in person so I drove to the capital and dropped it off at 10 am  and picked it up at 4 pm.

Once again I deviate from 'las normas' of this New Members thread .. in this case, possibly to assist readers already in South America to avoid a trip back to North America.

Yes, as per God of Pie, you can return to the USA to have documents apostilled (certified for international use for a visa application, for instance).

However, there are USA-based apostille companies (Google: apostille service USA to find some) that can get your document(s) apostilled, certified by a second agency if necessary and returned to you.

This course of action pre-supposes that you have the original document with you in South America.

Any individual considering how to obtain an apostille while currently in South America may wish to balance the costs and effort involved in overseas travel against the convenience of not traveling and still getting the required apostille.

We now return to the purpose of this thread:  self-introductions only. :)

cccmedia

Hi my name is Bruce.  We hope to retire to Ecuador in about a year.  Any advice about Loja?

Dear Bruce aka Dottore Lucas,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com....

To find Loja threads, locate the search box on the right side of this forum's welcome page .. type in Loja .. and click.

You will be whisked away to a selection featuring a host of threads and posts about the South Ecuadorian city.

Folks not fluent in español should realize that Vilcabamba is less than 30 miles from Loja.  Vilca is unusual in that a high percentage of its residents speak English -- they are Expats and they find many Expat-friendly meetups and events in Vilca.  This works great for some new arrivals, not so much for others looking for the "true" Ecuadorian experience.

----

In case we haven't mentioned it lately ;) this New-Members thread is exclusively for self-introductions of new members, by order of the Pamplemousse Protections Provision of expat.com ....

cccmedia

Hi am also in. Ecuador ***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey Mateo,

How safe is it for Americans to live in Ecuador? What's the best website/ real estate agent to contact? Is it fairy easy to find a job there?

Nebula749 wrote:

Hey Mateo,

How safe is it for Americans to live in Ecuador? What's the best website/ real estate agent to contact? Is it fairy easy to find a job there?

Dear Nebula,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ....

I have it on reliable authority ;) that this thread is reserved for new-member introductions only.

Please start a new thread for your questions .. or use the search function on the Ecuador forum welcome-page to read up on existing threads.

Also, you may contact "Mateo" via PM messaging at his icon that accompanies his post/s.

cccmedia
expat.com experts team-member

Closed