Close

New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ecuador forum? Don’t know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ecuador if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi, I am a single woman, planning to move to Vilcabamba from Florida in the next few months, would like to make friends and meet with people in the surrounding areas. 
Trusting God He will open new doors and opportunities in my birth country.

I’m looking forward to spending a month in Ecuador starting mid March 2018. I’ll be in Quito for four nights, then I’ve rented a condo in Salinas overlooking the ocean. Can’t wait! Hopefully I’ll meet some of you lovely folks when I’m down there! Any helpful hints or “must do’s/do nots” would be gratefully appreciated!

Muchos gracias!

My wife and I will be spending 2 weeks along the northern and central coast so that I can surf and we will be looking at retirement possibilities. We have 5-6 years to decide where.

Hi, my name is Al.

Hello. I am seeking residency in Ecuador. The last step in process is the Antecedentes Penales. I need to get the federal and state Antecedentes Penales. My state is New Jersey. And I believe it needs to be apostilled/translated, whether one or both I dont know. Can the a`postille/translation be done in Ecuador? I want to do it all without having to leave Ecuador?

I got fingerprinted about two weeks ago, but there are some weird fields to fill out on FBI form that i do not understand.:

OCA (YOUR NUMBER)
UCN (UNIVERSAL CONTROL NUMBER
MNU ( ARMED FORCES NUMBER
MNU (MISCELLANEOUS)
One serveice wanted to charge me nearly 3k, another $400. ANYONE KNOW OF A SERVICE THAT CAN DO TIS ECONOMICALY?

Excuse caps. Difficulty with Ecuadorian keyboard.

777albrto :

Hello. I am seeking residency in Ecuador. The last step in process is the Antecedentes Penales. I need to get the federal and state Antecedentes Penales. My state is New Jersey. And I believe it needs to be apostilled/translated, whether one or both I dont know. Can the apostille/translation be done in Ecuador? I want to do it all without having to leave Ecuador?

Dear Al,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

Don't go through an agency or middleman to obtain apostille(s), as you can request them yourself.  Your request will be in English because you'll be dealing with USA-based government agencies.  An apostille needs to be issued by the government agency that issues the original document.  An apostille is a document that is affixed to the original document to make the original acceptable for international usage.

If you are unable to discover whether one or both apostilles are required, simply ask each penal agency to send you the document plus apostille and see what happens.  Costs of such are usually low, nothing like the thousands you were quoted by a middleman.

Any translations to Spanish should be done in Ecuador.

Make sure all documents are dated within 90 days of application to the Cancillería.

cccmedia

Dear Al,

Normally, this New Members thread is reserved for introductions-only of new members.  In the interest of guiding you in a time-sensitive matter, I have sidestepped the usual restriction. :cool:

I know you have additional questions about the codes, so consider starting a new thread using the option for that, which is on the forum welcome page.

Hopefully, the Home Office in the Mascarene Islands will allow me the extra latitude in this case.  The islands are midway through the annual typhoon season in the Indian Ocean, so the good folks there may not be overly concerned about me taking this liberty. :)

cccmedia