New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Depending on the ages of the children, if they are younger I would suggest bringing them.  My 9 and 10 year old kids love the DR. They picked up Dominican Spanish very quickly.  We are unfortunately back in the states for my job, but my kids harass me with, "when are we going back home?" They miss playing outside with their friends and playing barefoot.

Another newbie here. I'm Greg from San Francisco. Nice forum y'all have here. I'm off to poke around!

Hi Greg,  welcome to the forums!  Yup,  time to read.......  ask your questions within the forums and dont hesitate to open a thread if you need it!

planner wrote:

Hi Greg,  welcome to the forums!  Yup,  time to read.......  ask your questions within the forums and dont hesitate to open a thread if you need it!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Siempre!

Hi!
I am moving to Las Terrenas soon with my husband as he has found a new job there. I am an architect and working on sustainable buildings. We don't have a child yet. We like music, dance, hanging on beaches, sailing and culinary activities.
Looking forward to meeting with expats there. I will be posting questions before my arrival, hope you won't fed up :D

Good morning and welcome to the forums.  We are happy to answer your questions. Start reading the various threads and ask questions as needed honey.

Welcome.  Lots of good folks with good info here.  Read the various threads and ask questions as they come up. 

We have lived on the north coast for over 12 years now.

Bob K

Quick forum etiquette question, if I may. On this forum, is it customary to revive a year old (or older) thread to ask a question as opposed to starting a new thread? I know some forums prefer people not bring up old threads, and others prefer newbies to start new threads about things that have already been discussed because so many things may have changed over time.

I'm just beginning my research here and, for example, I ran across the thread on where to buy a 32" TV. In a situation like this, I have all kinds of stupid questions like 'are bigger TVs not available'...'too expensive'...etc.

Thanks!
Greg

P.S. Since I introduced myself a week ago, I have read the most recent 30 pages of threads. What a wealth of information! Any tips on forum search engine usage? I'm finding the search function a little hit & miss and would appreciate any tips.

Great questions!  Things do change here quickly in some regards. I think you are usually better to start a new thread honey rather than tack onto an older one. That is especially true where the topic has changed over time. That also helps the search function.

Yes it is hit and miss. Staying on topic helps as does using clear titles for threads.

planner wrote:

Great questions!  Things do change here quickly in some regards. I think you are usually better to start a new thread honey rather than tack onto an older one. That is especially true where the topic has changed over time. That also helps the search function.

Yes it is hit and miss. Staying on topic helps as does using clear titles for threads.

Thank you!  :top:

You are very welcome

Good afternoon one and all. My name is Al, short for Alberto, and for the last few days I've been lurking around here reading and gathering information on what I've read on most of your  posts. I think I can learn a  bit about most, just by reading your responses to the threads.
I've just moved to Santiago, and arrived on the 19th of June, 2018, after 42 years in the east cost of United States. I went from NY City ( Grammar School), to New Jersey (High school, College, and into marriage)
Virginia, ( Separation, divorce)  North Carolina, ( after 14 years in Virginia I just got  tired of the snow in the north.)
I now live here in Santiago, while taking care of my parents along with my sisters  who live on the same street. They both retired and moved back here to live the life of peace. No hustles or concerns. Just wasted hours doing nothing but living the lazy life, which is what I call it.
My Parents have a bit of Dementia and the task of caring for them is not an easy one. My dad is the one  deteriorating quickly. I spend every waking moment most days with him. That is, after I do my morning run.
A week ago I began streaming MLB  games which is something we would watch as I was growing up, and into  adulthood. I love it when I ask if he'd like a bit of beer and he smiles that smile I love so much and enjoys about a  2 fingers tall glass of beer.
I played baseball in high school and College, so  as in all i do, there is a passion there for the game. But there is no greater joy than watching the game with your dad.
The memories i go over daily, as he tells me stories over, and over, and over again, and truth be told, I don't care. I just love seeing that smile on his face and the joy those stories bring him, because even though at times he might not know who I am anymore. I know who he is. Oh! He still calls me by my name, and that is all the joy I need.
Lately I've been playing Beethoven for him. he loves his classical music. I watch him as he lays in bed as I am working online, and while laying on his side he conducts his orchestra. Can you see my smile?

My mom is pretty well to do. she still needs something to do each day. She washes the dishes after each meal, which with them is only 2, as they are asleep by the time dinner time comes around. She folds all our wash like only your mother can. They are both in their mid 90's, and I am so blessed to still be able to speak to them daily. I would never trade this time for all the money in China. Now no one temp me ok?.....lol

I'm starting a business to kind of keep me busy on same days. I am starting to split time more with my sisters and have found myself bored out of my mind. So much so, I've thought about starting a blog on the occurrences of the daily life of caring for your ageing parents. We just don't believe in putting them in a home. The abuse I've seen first hand on others parents of close friends and loved ones will blow your mind.

Lately I've been walking this town as if it's my own. I've been trying to get my cedula, and it seems they can't find my birth certificate. I have come to believe that most Dominicans pass the buck. Don't do their jobs well, and I am sorry for being a Dominican, but I find this to be very true. Least here in Santiago.
So there is a bit about me, I will soon go to Santo Domingo to visit my cousins, and get my birth certificate. That's the plan! If it happens accordingly, I'll be doing cartwheels all the way home. I actually don't expect things to go smoothly. It's my own fault never to have taken it with me when i left my ex-wife. Must I tell you what she did with it?..........lol

So here's a big hello, and hoping you all have had a great day!

We are on different trains but the same destination. Never knew my natural father & my mom died at 47. My step dad was a very good man. Left home before i really had time to know him even though he was there since i was about 4. Though we have ridden different paths the passion for life & others is similar. You can give, I have been on a solo venture. Not one that I desired but due to life's twisting turns & my own hesitance & selfish ways have landed me here. A couple of regrets , however I choose to ride this path.  I cannot imagine the pain of loss at seeing the the people you love slowly disappear. Your giving of your love should be an inspiration to those of lesser capacity to love.  I admire you. Do not stop posting your thoughts & feelings. Thank you, thank you.

Tinker, thank you for your post and of course, your welcome, in asking me to post further. It is one of those nights when I've not slept a wink. Dad has been up all night as well. Now you know why I'm awake!
We have been battling it out this evening. OR maybe I should call it morning by now. For some reason he thinks he needs to go to his house. When I tell him he is in his house, he just doesn't get it.  We have these nights about once every other week.
I've got some soft music on in his room but it doesn't seem to work when he is like this. I've argued with him as he gets angry that I won't let him get out of bed unless it's to the rest room. He needs to walk to grounds making sure all doors are locked and his rocking chairs that are outside are still on the porch.
My folks live in a very nice clean neighborhood. Since 1991 when they retired and moved here they have had a routine. Mom would go off to church service every morning after leaving dad with his coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice and toast ready made. Dad on the other hand would get up out of bed, have his breakfast, and proceed to go out front and sweep what I call a canal that runs along the curb though on the street. Kind of move all that rain down a certain path I guess, but most times it gets filled with garbage. so each morning he would be out there sweeping  his canal in front of his property and then get back in the house and wait for mom to get home. When I was in the states I would come down once a year to visit and get my fix of fishing, golfing, and yes back in the hey day? Drinking.

2 years ago while my dad went through his routine, some thugs came by and took his wedding band off his finger. He was petrified by the event and has never been the same since. He dares not sweep his canal anymore. I do that now. That event changed my dad. He is very fearful at his age now. He thinks everyone's out to get something from him. He trusts no one. The gardener comes over to work on moms garden and dad must know each step that poor man takes when on his property. The elderly are preyed upon no matter where you are in the world.

Guess I've rambled enough and now see dad has actually fallen asleep. FOR NOW! now if i could do the same, we'd be on the same boat now wouldn't we?  The times have changed in that they once took care of us for a great portion of our lives, and now it is our turn to return the favor, for God only knows how long.

Good night dad. Sleep well   OOOOPS! Heeeeeee's baaaaaaaack!

Welcome to the forums Al! All I can say is wow. Thank you for that introduction. Please start a thread about your experience, good and bad!  Your perspective returning here is an important one.

The job you have taken on is such an important one, please share that in your thread as well!

I am in Santo Domingo if I can be of any help.

Again welcome to the forums!

Hi All,

I am a Tech Entrepreneur currently living in the UK with plans to buy a villa in the costal area of DR. Really enjoyed reading the many forums on the site!

Speak soon

Dami

Welcome to the forums and happy to help however we can!! Any questions post as needed honey.

Thank you.

Still spending my time searching many key words and going through the 100s of threads to make sure that I only ask what, to my knowledge hasn't been asked already.

Awesome,  that is such a help to all of us. Also you learn things you didn't know you needed to know.....LOL

Hello my name is Tanya and I'm looking to relocate DR  specifically Puerto Plata to join my husband.
First most important thing is to find an apartment all help is welcomed.

Welcome to the forums!!!

My husband and I are looking to be a snowbird in DR — looking for safe; authentic housing (villa) with Ocean view in beachfront community.  On the cheap : )

Welcome to the forums. Lots of reading to do here. I see you started a thread so look for responses there!

welcome, read,stick to the 3 "Ls" and you will find your new home.

Bavaro is Punta cana on a slightly smaller scale. If a smaller expat populating and less to explore in the immediate area, it can be great to live there. You will have access to the rest of the island. I say, if you can afford Beef Oscar, eat it often as you desire. Take your time & see as much of this island as you can. Rent in different areas to assure the best choice for yourself.  Welcome, welcome.

Welcome Canadagirl.  Lots of great info in the various threads. We will help and answer your questions whenever possible.

Hello Ex-pats.  I have been here three times.  This time, I arrived on July 7 and will leave on September 3, returning to America.  I will be developing some hospitality and tourism projects on the North Shore and in and around Punta Cana.  I would like to meet some fellow ex-pats and get to know where they hang out, especially on the north shore.  I am in Luperon which is my favorite city.

Hi Bigbob....welcome to the forums honey.  You are leaving too soon, I will be on the north coast Sept 8th.

Lots of people here and lots of information, let us know directly in the threads how we can help you.  Looking forward to hearing more of your excursion plans!

Visit Sosua area. Much to do & see here & in Cabarete.   PM me for possible meeting of a few of the many expats living in the area.  Enjoy your trip & be sure to return soon.

Good strategy...search with key words and either A. Resurrect a fitting thread, or B. Start a new one...you really can't go wrong with the honest and helpful people on this forum...I sing the praises all the time to those interested in DR...Rock On, DR expats!  :proud

Hey Planner.

Just my luck sweet girl.  Like two ships that pass in the night.  I expect to return within 2 to 3 weeks.  I usually fly into POP so maybe I will stay there a few days and we can hang with some other expats near you.  How long will you be here?

Looking to meet you and other expats soon.

I am on the north coast Sept 8 to 17. Then I am back in Santo Domingo.

Hi, I'm Rob.  63 years old and retiring soon (like in 30 days!).

I'm planning on staying at one of the bateys outside of San Pedro de Marcoris.  I'm interested in working with the elderly in the bateys that surround SPdM.

Welcome honey. Let us know how we can help with info and support. Lots of threads to review!

Planner.  Just wanted to give you kudos for the great work you do.  Much appreciated.

Bless you darlin.

Thank you honey!

Ur welcome.

Hi All,

I am moving to Las Terrenas, Samana end of September.  I am opening buying a villa and need to furnish the entire place.  I also need to buy a car.  Thought I would get a head start on some information if anyone has any for these needs.  I am so excited to get there.  Always wanted to live the island life.

Peace,
Patrick

Welcome to the forums! We are happy to help. Start reading the various threads. There is a lot of info addressing your needs.

Feel free to ask questions in those threads and open new ones as needed.

Make sure to read pinned thread on residency.

Closed