New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Welcome to the forums. Please start reading the threads honey to get more info on life here.

Then, open a thread with your questions and we will tell you the good the bad  and the ugly about life here!

Hi
Hope you are doing well.
This is Abdul Badi from Karnataka, India.
I am working in Dubai , United Arab Emirates.
I am planning to migrate Dominica end of the year. I would be grateful if you share your experience of living there such as employment opportunities, cost of living and safety etc.

Welcome to the forums. Much of what you are looking for is within the various threads. Please start reading and ask your questions when you wish or start a thread as needed.

By the way - are you wanting Dominica or Dominican Republic? 2 different places

Actually one of my friend suggested me to migrate to Dominica. I was not aware that there are countries with same name. Please I would like to know the possibility for employment opportunities and citizenship.

Please help me out.

Though not an expat, I have lived in the States since a very young age, 12 to be exact. I have flown home several times during my stay in the US but never considered moving back, that is until very recently. The passing of my grandmother earlier this year awakened a love for my hometown that i haven't felt since i was kid. I recently went to visit and being away from the hustle and bustle of NYC for a week made me realize that this is my home. More to come.
Thanks for the add the forum. I have been lurking for a few months and finally joined. Great place for information from people who are doing it.

Addulbadi07,

AGAIN , this is the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Forum not the DOMINICA Forum

Please change your settings in order to reach the Forum you need.

AGAIN , do not ask questions on the introduction pages, they are just meant to introduce oneself.

AGAIN Read the Forum before starting a new thread, most of the questions have already been answered.

Thank you.

Well thank you Guineo!!!

Welcome to the new members! And thank you for helping us keep this thread clean and on topic.

We love to answer your questions. Please start reading!

Hi, I am not an expat but I am open to the option since my children are grown, however I am looking to expand my expertise in various fields to the Dr...my first journey will be a recovery house. I am really excited and I have been self employed for over 20 years and I have done lots of international business but not on this platform. They were looking to do business here in the states. I am very happy with my new journey and looking to meet great people!

Welcome to the forums!!! Lots of good info here!

Hi!

My name is Virginia and I moved from Venezuela with my family two years ago.

It´s been a roller coaster but have enjoyed every challenge so far.

I am a realtor and spend most of my time giving advice about life in DR  :)

Been catching up with the posts and offering info. I have learned so much as well, just from reading!!

See you around!

Welcome to the forums. I look forward to reading your insights and comments!

I started with the spanish site, I hadn´t realized the english site has a completely different forum!

I thought they were the same and the the posts were just translated.  I don´t know...

I´ll catch up!

Welcome! keep reading & you'll catch up. You are fortunate to have Spanish under your belt.  Many expats never get the hang of learning it. Is it your first language? Let us know more about you. Lots of good people & tons of info to share.   Again, welcome from all of the members.

Yes they are very different in nature.

Hi Everyone! Introducing ourselves as we're currently transitioning from the  East Coast of the USA to Samana. We've been coming to Domincan Republic a few times a year for almost 4 years now, staying longer each time as it's already home for us. Helps having family from DR but being born and raised in the US it's still beem a major transition.

We'll spend 2 months this July/August organizing things as we're building our home starting in 2019.

Appreciate all the awesome content everyone has contributed! Been extremely helpful for us already.

Velcro

Welcome to the forums!!!

HI .. totally new to this forum.
Looking forward to meeting you all on here!
We are in Canada and love the thought of living in DR.
Happy Canada Day!

Welcome to the site. I can understand your desire to change climes. Have you been here before?  The physical move is a pain in the butt, however the hard part is to stop thinking about & do it!  Butt, 7 it is a huge but, you need to do the researc o all aspects of life here. Rent a place for a couple of monts & explore the island. You have at your fingertips a trmendous amount of information.  Read all the threads & learn. You will come up with questions that the members here can answer. Welcome & keep posting & tell us more about yourselves.

Welcome to the forums!  There is a lot of info on here. Ask questions when you need to and start a thread whenever you feel it is appropriate!

Good day expat team!

I have been traveling to the Dominican Republic and love the place and people!
Most of my stay would be in the South, to be specific Barahona and Azua.
I set my view on acquiring a property for
when i retire in the next four years !
The forum is providing quality information
for tourists and pensioners !

Hey thank you so much. Welcome to the forums.  That area is next on my list of where I want to explore more. I am currently in Santo Domingo! 

Glad we can be of help to you!

To all of you, or as they say in Tennessee All you All, who have joined in the last month or so let me add my welcome.  We have been traveling and have had spotty internet for the last month or so.
We got home Sunday and it is good to be home.
Bob K

Welcome home Bob.

Nice trip but good to be home.

Hello, I am a new member my name is Ricardo I am a US Navy Veteran. Can anyone tell me how to end a relationship with a Dominican Women. We have been dating two months and things are moving way to fast for me, I do not want to hurt her feelings. I would like to end the relationship peacefully.

Welcome to the forums Ricardo.  I am sorry  you are having this issue.  Please open a new thread asking this question.  We try to keep to welcome and introductions. 

Thanks honey!

Welcome.  You will get tons of ideas if you open a new thread on this.

BObK

We did Bob!  Yayyyy.

Hi all, we're happy to be a part  of this forum.  My husband and I have just purchased a condo in El Cortecito and will there end of this month from Belize where we moved to from US at retirement last November.   We found it too expensive to purchase here and found that the ‘beach' is really nonexistent, so off we come to DR.  I'm sure we will have tons of questions, some of which have been answered here already....thanks 😊   Look forward to meeting a few of you once we get settled in.
Marianna and Steven

Welcome and glad to have you aboard!
We are on the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete having retired here full time 12 years ago.
BObK

Welcome to the forums. Cortecito is a popular area.  Please participate in the forums, ask questions and tell us how you are progressing!

Hi,
I am Canadian, and my wife is from DR. We live in Calgary where I am a lawyer , with our 1 1/2 year old son  but we also own a home in DR near Sosua in Terramar Estates also called Sunset, in Sosua Abajo. I have yet to spend more than holiday time  4 or 5 times a year in DR, but I am thinking I am going to  be there more and will need residency.
I joined the forum because  I may  need  advice on the process, and also i have thoughts about starting some business there.

Welcome.  Lots of info her on the various threads that may help you along.  Ask questions as they come up.

We have lived full time in the Sosua/Cabarete area for over 12 years.

Bob K

Hi, Jim and Lisa from a very small rural town in SE Idaho.

I'm retired but also disabled.  We're investigating DR as a potential snowbird escape during the winter months. 

I'll ask in the appropriate forum, as well, but can anyone point me to a good website (or other sources) with DIY-residency advice ?  We're interested in the fast-track 10-year retirement visa, but are having difficulty finding any useful information.  For example, the residency applications webpage on the DR's Embassy in the USA has NOTHING  about any fast-track options.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Welcome coach. There is a thread on residency and we are here to help you through the process.  In terms of business, lots of opportunities here.

Welcome Jim and Lisa. I don't recommend DIY.  The first part at home you do, here it is best to work with a lawyer. I loved your comment about fast track option. Reality - the process is almost always the same. There is no real fast track.  Check out the residencia thread.

For all, feel free to ask questions in the various threads and open new ones as needed!

Been reading sites and thinking about retiring south of US. I have about 10 years to go. (Kids still in school).  :)
I'd like to start research and hear about real experiences from expat living there.
I know very little Spanish and I believe I can relearn my Spanish if I lived around speakers.
My thought is, my wife and I will retire over there then move back if/when we will start needing more medical needs. But I'll try to be healthy forever.

Been reading sites and thinking about retiring south of US. I have about 10 years to go. (Kids still in school).  :)
I'd like to start research and hear about real experiences from expat living there.
I know very little Spanish and I believe I can relearn my Spanish if I lived around speakers.
My thought is, my wife and I will retire over there then move back if/when we will start needing more medical needs. But I'll try to be healthy forever.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of great info and real stories here.

Ask questions as you need to!!!

Your desire & forethought are applauded.  Too bad that reality will be kicking your ass in 9 or 10 years. Things change rapidly in this world of ours. Do not take affront for this opinion, it is just the natural way of life.  You need to take a true assessment of your needs.   I don't mean how many bathrooms or of a pool etc.  The true needs for a contented life, one that doesn't drain your assets. It is a  never ceasing surprise what we really need to be happy.  Having a family can complicate matters until you realize how poor most systems prepare our kids for life. We tend to put goals on our future moves that somehow always seem to be out of reach.  Me? I'm lucky, can live well on little, but require a full, rich life. A measure of life here is that NO ONE starves, no one is without friends. Look at what is most vital in your life & the real meaning of being a parent.  Maybe, just maybe, a further look into your future may have a different cast.  Bless you for looking into this island.  Keep us in mind over the intervening years.

Closed