New members of the Cyprus forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cyprus forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cyprus if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi. I'm a writer and am planning on moving Cyprus with my husband and our daughter this summer.
We'll be spending Easter there to decide which city to move to - Larnaca or Limassol.

We will both work remotely so work opportunities is not a consideration. We'll be visiting our first choice schools in each city during the holiday so if she's only accepted to one, that might make the decision for us, but we're hopeful she'll be offered a place at both.

I'd be very grateful for some advice about pros and cons of each city. Whichever we chose, we'll be looking to live within walking distance of the sea and (preferably) the center of town.

Hi ReemCyprus,

I moved here with my wife and 4 children in December last year 2017, (we have lived here before for 6 months). We choose Larnaca as its much more family orientated than all other Cypriot cities and everywhere is either on the sea or no more than 15 mins max to the sea. Prices, Rental & Sale are much more realistic in Larnaca and even if you work in Limassol or Nicosia they are very short drives. For us Larnaca ticks all the boxes and its very good being so close to an international airport. Flights to all of Europe and the middle east are very cheap. Also the most important thing for us is the schools and The American Acadmey In Larnaca is the best on the Island!

Regards

George

Hi Everybody, I'm hoping to be able contribute to this forum in a way that will hopefully help the community in that I am interested to here from people interested in purpose built retirement villages and care homes.

Hi,All of you!

Don't know how to take start.But one thing i want to say,each an everyone share his/her experience and its going to be helpful for us.
Thank you!

Regards,
Jasper Maqsood.

Hi
All

This is Jairam from india , i am planning to move Cyprus. With lots of hopes that i can get settle at Cyprus. As a professional administration work.

Request to all guys to help me i this regards.

As this is first time i am planning to move out of my country and settle at Cyprus.

Hi all which parts of larnaca and Famagusta have the most expats living there,I've lived in Cyprus before for 3 years but paphos end so abut stuck on were would be the best for Brits in larnaca areas and which are the best schools in that area I have a 7 year old child  is there any families living up that end who can advise

Hi is the american school at larnaca free if not what are the fees

Hey guys .. am safa from syria i live in north Cyprus lefkosia as I finish my masters in business administration and currently I work as a bartender but am looking for more professional work opportunities around to advance and improve myself if you can help me in this area would be amazing.. thank you in advance

Hello to all expats.

We are Shayne and Louise from Wakefield, West Yorks. and have been in raptures with Cyprus for 20 years.  After each passing year the visits get longer and the wrench of returning to the airport gets greater.

So, early in 2019 we plan to move to the Paphos area and start a new life away from the rat race of the UK.

Our house is sold and so we are just going to take our time over the coming months to work out the best way to approach the move.  What we do know is:-

We will only rent property, dont feel the anchor of ownership is what we want.
We only intend to work to cover our living costs and our happy to allow our savings to cover the extras.
We have a fair ring of friends already, mainly from the Phoenix club on Ikarou St.

Louise has been a carer for 15 years and has also worked in retail and hospitality. (Mrs Kipling - makes exceedingly good cakes)

My background is in technical/QA roles in the food and drinks industry but I do not necessarily wish to continue along this vain.  I've also done many other things around hospitality, bar work and a nit of wine and spirit sales and am a trained book-keeper too.

You may not all share my passion for cultural integration but my own opinion is that you should not expect to live in Cyprus as you would in the UK.  I am thus learning Greek.  This isn't me being a liberal but a scholar of language and culture.

We ,are over again for the whole of November 2018 and intend to make the move the following March/April.  We will be looking to rent a 2 bed apartment/house, preferably with access to communal pool.

We like the look of all round Paphos and are curious to know which regional towns and villages give us the best bang for bucks and transport links to Kato paphos and the Old town.

Our rental budget is 300-400 euros for 2 bed or 350-475 for a 3 bed. Initially we would need at least white goods provided or fully furnished. Anyone looking to rent out around Easter next year 6-12 months let?

Thank you in advance of your counsel and look forward to being part of a very special scene.

Shayne and Louise. xx

Take a short let holiday rental first give yourself some time to investigate the areas properly morning noon and night as the dynamics change, once you ve decided on an area and property take as short a let as possible with a view to extending complexes are strange beasties once you live there...... weve lived on two and will never do so again,
My bets guess is that your eventual location and property will be dictated by work and its locations plus transport possibilities..

anyway take your time, listen to everything consider all that you see hear and read about, ignore nothing..... you will make mistakes we all do, accept it and dont beat yourself up over it  - above all else its a big move/decision people rarely make the right choice first time, learn from the choices you make. Be sure of what it is you want  need / expect from the experiences of living in Cyprus,  manage those expectations and adapt as things change. Soak it all,up and enjoy the country for what it is - it has lots to offer as am sure you already do  - finally get out of holiday mode asap, its a very real danger for many people  = and those who dont eventually leave.

Good luck with the move have fun and stay safe

Fantastic advice Toon and many thanks for looking through our post so carefully.

It will be a fair way into our residence before we fully understand the implications of our move and sure, we will make some world class faux pas on the way.  But we are dogged Yorkshire folk and gritty survivors. We rely on our intuition and nous to evolve into our surroundings

We are kind of leaning towards a small let near to the main town to begin with, which will open up our potential networks and work commutes, plus serve to be on site for all the info gathering that will be needed.  Making friends should be easy enough, as we are both outgoing and approachable. We see that as being invaluable in giving us a good steer in the right direction.

You have given us much food for thought already and for your counsel we are very grateful.  First rounds' on us Toon x

Cheers

Shayne and Louise

Hi, I'm Dave (62) retired for 3 years looking to relocate to Cyprus with my wife Suzanne, (Peyia area). Have arranged a viewing trip in November to start the process, can't wait.

Hi everyone.
I joined this forum to get the information about the working conditions in north Cyprus, how hard/easy is it to get a Job here. For couple of months, I'm in search for a job. Please does anyone have anything to share with me? Thanks.

Depends what kind of industry

Hi.
    My wife and myself are moving to pathos in October
dontt know where to start. We love metting new people, having a few beers .

Welcome to the forum and Paphos when you get here. Exciting times ahead

Thank you.

Can't wait like a child at christmas.

Hi my wife and I have been coming to cyprus for 20 years and feel now is the right time to make a move here as we love it so much . We are both mid 40s and was wondering what the work is like over there I am I'm bricklayer/all round builder and my wife is a jeweller..any advice would be very grateful we are looking at northern cyprus ..

Hi UKZorba,

could you please post your ad in the housing in Cyprus section ?

Many thanks

julien

Hello everyone, Tim here. I am involved in a project to develop paddlesports in West Cyprus. By that I mean Dragonboat and Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe. There are Dragonboats in Limassol but we have the first of each in these parts at the Paphos Nautical Club. The plan is to get new community and charity groups out on the water. We will probably end up with one or two racing teams buut this is only part of the project and will evolve at its own pace. I am a retired British Police officer turned Watersports coach and have a small company in the U.K. doing  similar stuff. I am flitting between the UK and Cyprus at the moment while I get things moving and am looking to train people to take the boats out when I am not here myself. If you are interested in a news sports / activity and would like to see Cyprus from a new perspective want to complete a charity challenge by boat or just want to learn to paddle, please get in touch. Thanks Tim

Hello to everyone!!

I'm Italian ( please forgive my english)  retired and mouving to Oroklini- Larnaca mid January.
Hope to contribute to this forum and also  get  informations that every new expat need in a new country.

Happy new year to all !!
Emilio

Hello  Oldseedog !

I visited Cyprus in October and in January I'll start my tranfer to this magnificent land?
Have you done the same?
Emilio

Hi Guyssss

Im new here. ( sorry about my english)

Nice to know that there are a-lot of expat too and really glad that i found this forum.
I am really interest to live in Paphos as a good tourism sites. What is your opinion about Paphos entertainment ? are there many festival or music event?
and what about the film industry? is it good?

THANKSSS

Plenty of live music entertainment in and around Paphos district, festivals etc  -

Hi
We are Jane and nick, we have been saying for a few years now that paphos is where we want to be.
We have been going every year for nine years on our hols.
We just don't know where to start really
We have our own business  so would need to sell up so it has to be the right decision.
We are going in March so will look at some estate agents for rental properties
How easy is it to make the move?
We will both need to work part time as well

welcome to the forum - i would suggest that as this si the intro section you ask the specific questions you need answers to as separate posts.. be specific, concentrate on the issues that are of concern and we shall  endeavour to answer them

Hi, where is the best store to buy a specs laptop like dell xps ?

Any suggestion?

I am in pafos right now btw.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=829941

Thanks!

Closed