New members of the Colombia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hey everyone,

Newbie here, lol!  I will be moving to Medellin in November of 2018, (next month). Looking forward to learning from your experiences.

Any advice as I prepare to move there?

Dear Shimmon,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of expat.com....

You may click on the word Colombia atop this page to take you to the forum welcome page.  Scroll down at the welcome page to the search box .. and enter any subjects of interest to get linked to existing threads.

You also have the option to start a new thread.

This new-members thread has been reserved for self-introductions-only by order of the Home Office in the Mascarene Islands.

cccmedia

Thank you very much cccmedia

Hi all,

I am from Columbia, South Carolina (so Columbian...in a sense).  I came to Colombia as a volunteer English teacher in 2011 on the island of Barú just south of Cartagena.  And I have stuck around ever since working and living in Cartagena.  I work as a history teacher at a local bilingual school.

Several months back I started a city guide blog for Cartagena that is still very much a work in progress at [link moderated].

Hello Mario, I just joined this site although I have been an Expat for 13 + years. I retired from the Marine Profession as a Marine Surveyor mostly ship cargo stuff so we would have some things to chat about. I have been living near Medellin for 4+ years but miss the water. Spent a week in Rodadero area in Feb and again in April but found it a bit to touristy.  Will return this week to try and find a rental South of the Marina so I can walk to the lounge above the restaurant for an adult drink and the sunsets. Chat me when you are back in SM and if I get set up in Bella Vista or El Prado we can have a visit to talk about the marine world. William

Hello Mario, I just joined this site although I have been an Expat for 13 + years. I retired from the Marine Profession as a Marine Surveyor mostly ship cargo stuff so we would have some things to chat about. I have been living near Medellin for 4+ years but miss the water. Spent a week in Rodadero area in Feb and again in April but found it a bit to touristy.  Will return this week to try and find a rental South of the Marina so I can walk to the lounge above the restaurant for an adult drink and the sunsets. Chat me when you are back in SM and if I get set up in Bella Vista or El Prado we can have a visit to talk about the marine world. William

Thanks William

I going back down in Feb so will for sure. I love to talk maritime/ marine stuff.
I will contact and stay in touch

Tim

Hi Everyone,

Great to be part of the forum. I stay in Scotland but met my girlfriend 6 months ago who stays in Cartagena. I am just back from my second visit and seriously considering moving to Cartagena.

My girlfriend works in a clothes shop and as i'm sure many of you know this kind of work is very low wage but she gets by ok. She is Venezuelan and was an Area Manager in a bank back home but it seems Colombia is very cold to employing Venezuelans in any sort of roles like this hence her current role.

I work in recruitment/sales for a worldwide recruitment company for the past 3 years but unfortunately they do not have offices in South America. I have a proven track record in my current role which i can prove, one of the top performing consultants for income in the whole country, gained promotion twice in 3 years and increased turnover with one client from £28,000 per year to over £180,000 per year.

I really like the whole beach, sun and Caribbean vibe of Cartagena and we would love to settle here. However if there was another job opportunity for me in Colombia then of course we would consider it if it was right. 

Please feel free to get in touch if you know of any potential work opportunities or have any advice with regards to moving to Cartagena.

Thanks,

James

Howdy Y'all,
I grew up in Colombia and migrated to the US nearly 50 years ago. I am planning to go back and retire there with my wife. Since I never went back after leaving Colombia, I am afraid I will feel like a fish out of the pond, though my Spanish and Portuguese are still in very good shape (I think). With that said, any pointers would be highly appreciated as we are planning to go live in Santander, where my grandfather was born. Although we are seriously considering Bucaramanga (never visited there so far as I can remember), we are open to suggestions for other places that will share the same good year-round weather, relative safety and peaceful atmosphere.

Hello I'm John an accountant from Clifton NJ looking to pave the way to retirement. I'm several years away so I have the time to get the most complete information on the following:

Real estate
income requirement
Cost of living associated with living in the north part of the city
I did no know about the half year requirement great tip
best of lists
rediscover my country

Hello everyone, I'm Rod currently living in the state of Alabama, I've been in the states the past 27 years but met my fiancé who lives in Cali and I would like to move to Colombia, although not Cali, probably move to Bogota or Medellin with her in the near future if we can get married in Colombia.

I am a dance fitness instructor of 39 years with a popular business in Springfield, IL. ( I teach high energy Zumba/Rumba fitness) and would like to share this fitness fun with groups interested in having fun classes (and/or get a work visa for the future.)
I am a life coach for women and also volunteer for social work with these skills and other skills and talents.
I love to be involved in groups of people in many areas: socially, fitness-wise, spiritually, helping, etc.
Our two adult kids were adopted in Medellin 30 and 27 years ago.  They also come to Colombia to visit.
We have family and friends here but we like to meet new international people and build great relationships.
My husband and I have been together since we were 17 and we have traveled the world over many years.  We like to go out, socialize, dance, have dinner with people, etc.
Our faith is Christian yet our friends have always been of all races, creeds, economics, businesses, etc.
Building great relationships with God, family and friends are what is most important to us.  And, having FUN!  This is what is fulfilling for us. :)

Hi! I'm also looking to move there as a teacher. I heard Bogota has more international schools than Cartagena. Any luck finding a job?

Wendy

When are you planning on going?

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=829918

Thanks!

Closed