New members of the Colombia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Colombia forum? Don’t know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Colombia if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Well... It seems that I'm the first one to post so... here it goes!

My name is José and I came from Venezuela, currently living in Manizales, Caldas, Colombia. I have some relatives who have helped me establish here and I'm currently looking for a job to settle and bring my familiy over from Venezuela. I've work in HR and have also taught English back there in my home country.

So far, Manizales has been really nice. Many people say it's hilly and they're not wrong! While looking for jobs or running errands, I walk instead of taking the buses there, and I turn the GPS on my phone on to get to places, meaning that I'm getting to know Manizales on foot and getting a lot of excercise!

Recently, I went over to Villamaría and fell in love! I hope both my new job and home end up in that place since it's very nice!

Well, if there's anything you need to know about experiencing Manizales, let me know. I'd be glad to help!

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum but moved to Medellin back in 2007. I'm a business owner originally from Brooklyn, NY.

Obviously you must like or love living in Colombia.

Do you know if retired Expats from the US have to pay taxes in Colombia on their tax-free income that comes from the US?

dcasanares :

Do you know if retired Expats from the US have to pay taxes in Colombia on their tax-free income that comes from the US?

You may or may not have to pay taxes depending on how much your income is and other factors.  Consult with a tax professional in Colombia and crunch the numbers, that's the only way to know.

One thing is sure - if you spend 183 or more days in Colombia in any 365 day period, you are considered to be a tax resident of Colombia and are subject to filing a declaración de renta.  Spend less than 183 days and you are not subject to Colombia income tax.

As you might suspect, taxes are higher in Colombia than in the US and the brackets start at lower income levels.  You may have no tax liability in the US but may have to pay in Colombia.

Agree and this is the reason why I'm hesitant to retire in Colombia.

If you are an Expat in Colombia, it's impossible for you not to contribute to the local economy.

You have to buy or rent for shelter, you will be purchasing food, clothing, transportation and doing things that the average Colombian cannot afford so why not allow Expats to thrive there and keep everyone gainfully employed?

dcasanares, your questions are unanswerable in this forum - especially since this particular one is reserved only for introductions by new members.   So we've gone a bit off-topic.

I invite you to create a new thread on this topic and raise these questions.  I think many would agree with you but there's not much expats can do about it except complain!

I am a few tens of Kms north of and a few hundred M below my nearest neighbor on this forum!! 

Also in Nariño!!   Saludos!!!

I'm new here, so I'll introduce my self ..(sorry for my english!!)

I'm Maya, a french girl who have just moved to Cartagena :)
I am naturally curious and open minded and in constant evolution.  I like socializing, meeting new people, that's why I introduce myself here too

I graduated with a physiotherapist degree in France and i also do foot reflexology. My aim is to work here (self employed) and start a new experience here !

The human being is in the center of my occupation professionnally and personally.

It would be a pleasur to exchange !

Saludos !

Hi! I am a complete newbie to this website and this forum... however, I have lived abroad and traveled extensively. My husband is from Venezuela and we currently live in the USA near my family. My husband's family originated from Colombia and most now live in Cartagena. We are now considering the possibility of moving to Cartagena, but this is an idea we just hatched while visiting his mom in Cartagena, as she is ill. Anywho, any help anyone wants to throw my way would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm Brazilian and expect to retire in about five to ten years. The idea of living as an expat in Colombia is because everything is so much cheaper than in Brazil, the country is overall safer and the quality of life superior. I'm coming back next week for vacation and to know more about their way of life.

I am planning to move to colombia soon! My name is Laura!

Hi Laura. Welcome to Bogota. This forum isn't used much. Try also registering with You'll find a whole community in Bogota, and all happy to help in any way they can.

Hello from San Diego!  I'm a film and video game professional and my wife and I are going on a scouting mission to Medellin later this summer.  We have two young boys and we've heard great things about life in Medellin.  I look forward to hearing all the advice the expat community has to offer!  See you in the e-verse!

Welcome to the forum, Greg. You will find Medellin a fun and interesting place to visit. Airbnb is an economical way to go.