New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all....
Greeting from newbie...

I am Danny and I got an offer from my friend to help him to develop and improve a new Airlines business in Cambodia.

I am from Jakarta- Indonesia, and since it will be my first time visiting Cambodia, I might need your kindly help here.

Please share the information about how the life in Cambodia and how is their work habit.. apartment, kids school, living cost etc.

Stay safe and be blessed.

Warm regards
Danny

Hello Danny, welcome on board this forum.

Turn things around, ask what you would like to know, instead of asking members here to share everything they have experienced.

You know your situation, your needs, so scroll through the many threads and you will find answers on nearly every question you have.

If there are questions left, please feel free to post them in the general forum, under a fitting thread or a new thread.

Good luck with your stay and business plans.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks Joe.

Will try to..

Warm regards,
Danny

Danny Duck wrote:

Thanks Joe.

Will try to..

Warm regards,
Danny

Welcome Danny.

Joe

Hello,
Christina here. I currently live in Canada & would like to expat to Cambodia. I am getting many mixed reviews & am now confused as to what I want to do.
My original idea was to open up a little tiki bar & put my art work up in it & would host local artists as well. But now I am hearing bars are closing down all the time...
Someone else suggested to buy property & flip it...
So about me; I am an artist & I owned a restaurant/art gallery/entertainment venue. 5 star review, and many loyal customers. So I know I can make a business work. I speak English & Greek
My boyfriend is a contractor but has a lot of experience in the hospitality industry. He speaks English & French.
So with this said... is there a way for me to make a living in Cambodia? Maybe Sihanoykville, or other? Any suggestions welcome! I am hoping to move there for first of November.
Thank you :)

Hi Christina.

The worst thing you can do for yourself is to have your plans ready before you even have been to the country.

Come over first, have a look and a taste of the country, cities, discover the possibility of starting a business. Part of a business plan should be Place, Product, Price, Production/Promotion.

As for where, there are nice smaller towns than PP, like Sihanoukville, Siem reap, Kampot, Battambang.
But you need customers, right?
Realize that Phnom Penh with more than 2.2 million Cambodian inhabitants, several hundred thousands of Vietnamese people and a load of expats and tourists, will be the place where you can meet your customers, depending on where you locate your business.

So my advise would be to come over, stay in PP and look around, only then you can have a good idea of what you can expect, the costs of your location, the place of your business.

Don't listen to rumours. Bars closing down? Yes, in the entertainment area some hostess bars are changing ownership, no bar is closed down for good, they are just for sale now in the quiet season, a yearly repeating event. PP is a booming big city with everything you need. Traffic is bad but they are working on a Sky train system, transport is best done by rickshaw, cheap and fast.

Come and see for yourself.

Cheers

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi Danny Salam kenal ya...

Selamat datang di Cambodia, this country like a brotherhood with our country especially food, transportation, and Culture. 

About School and social place for Children better in Phnom Penh, a lot of choice international school and after school activities.

Feel free if you wanna ask some question about and I know Indonesian People in Embassy for help you.

Regards
Pungky

Hello everyone,
I'm Badro, I moved to Phnom Penh since a month from today.
I came here originally to work as an architect in a khmer company.
So far it's too early for me to decide whether I'm going to stay longer, but I enjoy the culture and still discovering the country bit by bit.

I would love to hear about your experiences in Cambodia, any informations/ tips (business, personal development... anything really that would help me get the full Khmer experience.
Cheers.

Hello Badro.

Welcome aboard this forum.

If you scroll through various threads you will find info on many subjects.

If you still have questions after that, feel free to post on an existing thread or start a new thread.

Hope you have a good time here.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi I am Mike and will be moving from Shanghai to Phnom Phen in early August, thanks for having me in this forum looking forward to gaining insights in the city - country

Hello Mike, welcome aboard this forum.

Hope you will have a wonderful stay.

Scroll the threads full of information. If still questions, post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I am moving to Phnom Penh in September with my husband and our chihuahua. I will utilize my TEFL certificate and find a job at a school most likely.
Hope to meet some of you for a coffee some time!

-Andrea

Hello Andrea.

Scroll through the various threads for info, if any question left feel free to post in the applicable thread or start a new thread.

Hope you will like your stay here when you arrive later this year.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Welcome I'm in California now , but I live in Phnom Penh , hope your enjoying this wonderful country , lots of really good information on this site , good luck here !

Hello! My name is Samuel and I am on this site to keep in touch with the expat community of Cambodia.

I am also here to promote my business, selling coffee in Phnom Penh and Cambodia in general. I am looking for any way to network and market and also make friends etc!

I come from England and I have lived mostly in Vietnam, but have ties to Phnom Penh through my Father (who lives here). He is the reason I was convinced to do business here rather than in Vietnam.

Hello Samuel.

Welcome on board this forum. Hope you will have a good time in Cambodia.

As for business, don't use this forum for it, you can put adverts in the Classifieds section, or poston threads when looking for business partners.

Scroll through the threads and you will find many answers.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi there everyone, my name is Dakota (haven't decided if I'm North or South yet....perhaps I never will!), and I'm a 23 year old guy who has lived all over the U.S.A, and all over the world (Uganda, Bulgaria, even the Northern Mariana Islands!), but has always been passionate about Asia, as my father, prior to his passing, used to fly cargo jets for Nippon Cargo Airlines, out of Tokyo many years ago. Currently I work in the hospitality industry as a general manager of a major hotel chain, but I'm currently working on transitioning to web development as a long-term career choice. I'm looking to move long-term to SE Asia, and most likely Cambodia, around March of 2019!

Hi, by the time you get here, I will be living in Siem Reap. Let me know where you think you might want to live. I was in Siem Reap for two months last winter.
Take care.

Hello Dakota.

Welcome aboard this forum, hope you will find answers to your questions.

As you are considering Malaysia, Vietnam and Cambodia to move to next year, I would advise you to first come over and decide in which country you want to live and work. Being a general manager of a hotel chain in the US I would consider staying there, for the purpose of having a great income. You know what you got, you don't know what you get. One thing is clear, salaries in SE Asia are far lower than in the US, and hospitality is a very popular area for local people, that don't mind to work for less than $500 a month.

Consider this, come over and have a look yourself.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi, I've just moved to Phnom Penh. New to this site and am English. I previously lived and worked in Thailand some years ago and loved it so thought I would give this beautiful country a go. Looking for any money saving tips (particularly for apartments) and to hopefully connect with new friends. Thank you for having me on this site.
Zoe :)

Hi everyone! I arrived in PP last week and will be staying here for 6 months. I worked in Saigon for 6 months prior to my assignment in Cambodia, and originally from Jakarta, Indonesia.

So far enjoying my stay in PP. Lovely city and very friendly people. Look forward meeting and connecting with new friends from here too!

-Angelia

Hello all new friends...
I am a fraud - not a full time expat, but accidently came to Cambodia to help a relative buy a house there in 2004... met a younger mature woman, (left with a child)  and now shuttle between UK/Cambodia 3 to 5 times a year. "Our" son has just finished university...
Examined trying to bring them to the UK or Australia, but even for a holiday it proved too difficult, and we actually have practically a better life as we are. Effectively 50+ "Honeymoons" later still very happy!
I also have family & friends in Malaysia and Australia, as well as the UK. A very lucky guy!
William.

Hello Angelia.

Welcome on this forum, hope you have a wonderful stay.

Scroll through the many threads for information, if still questions exist post them in a thread or start a new thread.

Best regards.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello Zoe.

Welcome on this forum, hope you have a great time in Cambodia.

Scroll through the threads for info, if still questions exist post them in a thread or start a new thread.

Best regards.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi, nice to see ur activity in this blog.
I'm Ahmed from Pakistan. I'm in Malaysia for last 4 years and working in convention centre in Kuala Lumpur as 3rd commis.
I would like to know if I want to work in Cambodia so how I can come?which Visa will be require to stay longer.
Thx n regds

Hello.

If you want to work in Cambodia you need a business extension of stay plus a work permit.

You come in on a Ordinary visa, valid for one month.
You extend this for a general extension of stay [EG] for 6 months. No documents needed.
This extension is for people seeking a job or starting their own business.

Once you found a job you have to change to a Business extension [EB] for a year each time.
You need a letter from your employer with letterhead and official stamp. The stamp certifies that the employer is registered in Cambodia.

After you get the EB extension you need to apply for a work permit. You can do that yourself on line or let an agent do it.

If you don't find a job after 6 months you have to leave the country, but can come back and start again.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks for the information,very helpful. I was thinking how to start so u give good guideline.

mudassir.bukhari wrote:

Thanks for the information,very helpful. I was thinking how to start so u give good guideline.

You're welcome.

Cheers.

Joe

Hello.

It was never possible to get a 6 months visa on arrival.

Please see here for info re visa for Cambodia.

If you stay longer than 1 month it depends on your status what kind of extension of stay you should apply for.

Examples:

business [either work or own business]
retirement [no docs when over 55]
study
general [6 months maximum] intended for people that seek work or start their own business.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello my name is Tiffany

I'm from Michigan and I'm looking to get more information on Cambodia.  I'd like to move there possibly in the next couple years, but I want to get more information on the housing and job market. 
I'm hoping to meet some people and learn more on here.

Thanks!

Hello Tiffany.

Welcome on board this forum, hope you will enjoy it.

Scroll through the threads for a lot of info.
If questions still remain post them in a thread or start a new thread.

Regards.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello all,
I have been living on and off in Cambodia for years now and am looking forward to retiring full time in SEA. Really enjoy Cambodia, the people, the sights and history... and the ease of acquiring one year visas. I am still exploring.

Hi all, my first intro post didn't go through so hello again and thanks for the info on this site, nice to be on here.

Hello Rainman 1.

Welcome aboard this forum, you will find lots of information here and if there are still questions, post them in the correct thread or start a new thread.

Hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Cheers.

Joe

Hey guys and girls!

I hope you are all well!?

I have just posted in the accommodation section but thought I would also introduced myself here...
I'm Steve by the way and I am from England originally and am moving over to Cambodia this December and I am needing any good advice, help and info from anyone with good experience in living and living in Cambodia please...
I am going to move to Phnom Penh (please see my post in accommodation for my requirements for a place to rent).
I will start having a good read through the different threads and see what tips I can pick up.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hello guys,

New member over here from Malaysia. Recently graduated University in Canada and now working as a Real Estate Consultant in Phnom Penh.  Looking forward to getting to know the members here. Also feel free to link up with me if you have any real estate concerns, I would be glad to assist!

Hello Steve and Ken.

Welcome aboard this forum, search through the various threads for info, if any questions left post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Hope you have a great stay in Cambodia.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Ninaamara wrote:

Hello everyone! Its been two weeks since i arrive lasweek so far so good here. I'm elaine, im from Philippines. Ima model there, so im looking for a modelling agency here. Or any job that qualifies me. Can u guys help me😊

Hello Elaine.

For jobs it is best to search the jobs section here, https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/cambodia/ where you can also put your own CV in order to find a job.

If you have any questions left, post them in a thread or start a new thread. You can also PM me if you like.

Have a nice stay!

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

My dream is to live and support myself and my partner. We love the people and the land.  We hope the best for us and the friends  we make... Cambodians!!!  Where do we find a place.... An island... we can love  and care for??

Welcome to this forum Nancy, hope you will have a great stay.

Scroll through the various threads for information and if you still have questions you can post in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Closed