New members of the Bulgaria forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Izabela, try the Rodopi mountains. There are coniferous forests, ski resorts, and hot mineral springs there.

Hi, I'm Kane, as you may have guessed from the name.

I am currently living on a smallholding in Wales in the UK, although I am English, not Welsh, long story short, I'll be selling up in Jan 2019 and with my share of the house am planning on relocating permanently to Bulgaria.

I have NO idea how to go about any of it apart from getting a passport so may be asking some pretty dumb questions in the next few months. :)

It'll just be me and my Welsh sheepdog pup making the move, but I'd still like a biggish house, I need space to move about in, and I'll also be looking for somewhere with at least an acre of land as I plan on being as self sufficient as possible.

I don't mind a run down place, I can do most of any building/decorating work myself, and I don't really mind which area I'm in, as remote as possible I guess, in or around mountains, but within reasonable distance of a large town/city for building supplies.

Although a painter and decorator by trade, over the years I've also done most of the jobs on site, like roofing, electrics, basic plumbing, carpentry, etc., and when not doing that have cooked in various places, and I'd also like to develop my photographic work so Bulgaria looks to be a great place for that.

I think that's about it, don't want to bore everyone to tears. :D

I'm sure I'll get to know a few of you around the forums, and if anyone is on FaceBook I'm pretty easy to find.

Cheers

K

Get an EHIC card too, and take it with you!

Welcome Kane,

That sounds like a good plan. If you need help with any of the topics - drop me a line.

Kris

Thank you Kristiann,

I know its not going to be an easy task but I am willing to give it a try:)

Thank you Sogy ,I'll do that  :)

V.T is a very nice place, also we found Gabrova very relaxed and friendly place, but the area is very pretty and very cheap to live.  I wish you well on your new life.

Hi everyone my name is Sue and I'm living in a village near varna, after spending many years living in North Wales, we retired here 10 years ago and were very happy but, unfortunately, my husband died and most of the people we knew have returned to U.K for one reason or another, Only One other English speaking couple living in my village now , so it would be nice to get to know others livng nearby.

Hello,

My name is Robyn. I'm not positive about a long term relocation to Bulgaria. I ended up here somewhat accidentally. Well, I made a purposeful decision (I wasn't dropped from the sky) but it had not been part of my original plan.

I like to join Expat groups and communities to get the perspective of a lot of different people and become familiar with the local community and resources.

So far, I've been to Hungary and would like to go back again. I'll be in Germany for 6 weeks and by winter I'll probably be in Senegal. So. I'm still exploring the world and my options.

Regards,
Robyn

Ah, if only I could go to Senegal! But I'm not good enough for that great country :)

Hey! We are from SA too, also planning to move via job transfer to Sofia. How are you guys getting on with the process? I have looked for an agent in SA to assist with visas etc, but cant seem to find anyone. Are you using an agent? or dealing directly with the Embassy?

Hey there,

Since you're coming from SA, then visas should be no problem. Try arranging these yoursel, and directly at an embassy/consular service.
If there are any obstacles, then you can hire a Bulgarian agent/lawyer to  deal with this.

Most likely it is not going to be necessary at all.

Hi Steven, I am new in the forum and saw your post only today. Maybe someone answered you already. In any case the village you are looking for near Elhovo is Srem.
Best regards, Christiane

Hi everyone. 
I am Christiane and new in this Forum. My husband and I have been living in Bulgaria for 1,5 years  in Malko Tranovo, a small village between Stara Zagora and Chirpan. 

Apart from finding and sharing useful information with the members of this forum, my greatest wish is to find social contact. We heard that quite some expats are living in this area, but somehow we do not seem being able to find them and especially I feel rather often isolated.  Nationality is not important.  I am Belgian and can communicate in Dutch, French, English and German. Unfortunately, my Bulgarian is still rather basic. My husband is German and apart from his mother tongue he speaks excellent English.

Best regards

Good evening from a very hot, humid Thirsk, North Yorkshire. I/we have joined the forum to hopefully get answers as we are totally green to Bulgaria.
I have been looking at various sites for a long time and are finally coming over on 1/9 for a fortnight to suss things/areas out.
My Husband, Mark, is a builder and we would very much like to buy to renovate somewhere with barns/land as I am passionate about plants, DIY, crafts.
At the moment we are looking at Veliko Tarnova  but are open to suggestions.
We will be picking your brains on building suppliers, hire tools, health of course and local Rotary clubs plus general everyday stuff if that's okay.
Hope to hear/ see some of you soon

I'm planning on doing the same GEANO, not a builder as such, but have worked on sites most of my life and can do most of the trades to some extent or other. Will also be looking for a renovation project after recently renovating an old Welsh farmhouse. Builders merchants are going to be very high on my list, I have most of the tools I'll need but hiring diggers etc., would be handy too. :) Also looking around the VT area but farther out into the country/mountains.

Hello are you still looking for a rural property if so i have a rural farm situated in Stezherovo over 4500sqm of land pretty house

Is it up with any agents so I can see it?

No not with any agents

Hello, My name is Maria and I'm Bulgarian who lives in Greece :-)

Welcome Maria,

we normally get foreigners, coming to live in Bulgaria, but will be also happy to accept a Bulgarian, living abroad.  :cool:

Kris

Hi,
Always contact the embassy directly.

Hi Kane, having any luck with your search yet? Think I'm confusing myself the more I look. Going over 1st September for a couple of weeks, hoping to get some perspective re areas.

Hi Everyone.

Good to meet you all. My name is Jackie & I am interested in moving to Bulgaria from England.

Came across this forum & thought it would be a really good idea to join & meet like minded people. I am interested in moving to Bulgaria gradually but would be seeking to buy an inexpensive holiday home to get me started. Maybe someone could give me some idea of areas ? And of course the pitfalls & risks of buying in a foreign country. I don't wish to be rural, somewhere vibrant & not remote.

I am visiting Bulgaria in Sept i will be staying near Sunny Beach but I know it's not the ideal place to live as it maybe a little to lively.

I would love to hear more about people's experiences of moving to Bulgaria & learning the language is going to be difficult.

Thanks,

Jackie

Hi Jackie and welcome on board!

As for the suitable areas - well you have to select between seaside, mountain and urban ... at least. And the best will be to post a new topic, for your selected area.

Kris

Hi Jackie

I think you will need to come and look around, Bulgaria is a big country and everyone has different needs .  We found that it was just too hot for us inland, although there are some lovely places, and in the winter inland is generally colder too.  Some villages get cut off in the winter.

Where I live is 20 mins drive to the airport, which was important to us, 20 mins to nearest big supermarket, and 20 mins to our favourite resort, which is St Constantine.    It takes about 10 - 15 mins to drive into Varna, which is the sea capital, you would find plenty to do there and there are lovely sea gardens and of course, a long stretch of beach.

Best advice would be to avoid gypsy areas and make sure you have good Bulgarian neighbours,there are good gypsies of course, but how can you tell?

As for the language , in a village you will need to learn at least a little, no-one in my village speaks English, the older generation had to learn Russian and quite a lot speak German

.  There are places with quite a lot of ex-pats already which you could consider, but a lot of the younger generation of Bulgarians have English, and I think in the towns and cities you would find people who speak good English.

Good luck in discovering Bulgaria, I'm sure you will enjoy your search.

Hi Kris, Thank you for your warm welcome & the advise. Posting a new topic is a good idea. It's a big decision so it's important to get it right. Cheers, Jackie

Many thanks Sue for all your information. I know I don't want to be rural or to inland, coastal is much more suitable. I won't be driving so the area needs to have good transport links & not be to isolated. The airport & shops as important to me too. It's a big decision so I wont be doing anything hasty. Thank you for your help

Hi all
I'm a nomad English teacher who has been an expat in various countries for the past 21 years. I'll be moving to live in a small village outside Veliko Turnovo in summer 2019.  Very nice to meet you all, and I am really looking forward to finally moving to Bulgaria!

Hi nomad English teacher,
and welcome on board! Actually Bulgaria has a many interesting and charming places to look at, before deciding where to settle.
Take your time ....

Kristiann

Hi everyone!
we are also in the first throws of looking to buy in BG...Soooo many places to consider..We do not have a lot of money,so need to find something we can afford to buy and do it up over time.
Do any of you have some info on a place called Dolna Lipnitsa.. would very much like to know the pros and cons
Thank you :)

hello,
were you able to find a rental property?
I know someone who has a small cottage (has power/water/toilet) which is located in the western part of Bulgaria (near the city of Trun). The weather there is quite cold in the winter but it's OK now- it's still summer, it then transforms into the most beautiful fall ....it has got all 4 seasons.
It maybe a temporary base while you look around and find something better. My mother lives nearby and she could help you with the search (she speaks english).
I personally recommend the location, it's about an hour away from the capital (Sofia), if you rent a car you could reach any place you want.
Let me know if you are still looking and if you wish to get in touch.
best regards
Denise

Hi everyone,

I'm from Belgium and arrived in Bulgaria (30 min from VT) beginning of August. I'll be staying till the end of October to get a good feel of the region and maybe buy a house to live here permanently. Always open to hearing from new people or meet for a coffee.
I have a dog so if anyone is up for a nature walk with his/her dog, let me know! An

Hi there and welcome here,

I really like what you're doing - I mean to come and stay for a month or two, see the region, feel the mood, and then decide. That is absolutely the best way to buy a property and to decide where and what .... especially if planned for a long term.

And there's another good point - you will be able to see 2 of the most characteristic features of the VT region - high temperatures in summer and a wonderful autumn (especially mid Sept. - mid Oct. ). So you've added another + to your account.

I wish all the people, coming to buy property in Bulgaria could use the same approach.

Kristiann

Hi MP expat,  I have two dogs and would love to have walked them with you, unfortunately I live near Varna, but I wish you all the best in finding a home here in Bulgaria.

Hi sue in Varna.
I am new on this forum and decided to join ,reason's being that I am interested in buying property in Bulgaria but not for at least 18months or so. I know this sounds strange, but by talking to expats and people on on here, I gain lots of info and valuable advice. Even though Bulgaria is a large country, I have been looking at properties to renovate around the Varna and Burgas region, but a little inland to keep cost down, as I will have only a small budget but I am a qualified joiner and builder, also turning my hand to a lot of other trades.
I know this all sounds a little ridiculous, being a long time off before I make the move, but time stops for No man or Woman!
I am looking at visiting Bulgaria for a couple of weeks in the future , to see for myself and speak to Brits ( hopefully) and see what the right way of doing things are.

Kind Regards
Graham.

Hi All
We are Phil and Les
We have lived in Bulgaria now for approx. 2 1/2 years
We are now in the Burgas area and love it
We would like to meet up with others in this area
Thanks all and take care

Hi, I have a fully furnished and renovated house in Dimcha (near veliko tarnovo) that has 12000 sq meters of land. 300 euros / month. Also I have a place(1000 sq meters land)in the redopy mountains near smolyan fully renovated and furnished.All appliances, 40 inch flat screen Tv with surround sound.4 bedrooms that sleep 10. turkish bath and outside Jacuzzi with fabulous mountain views. I can send photos. 600 euro /month . p.s 20km from pamporovo ski resort.

Hi Graham, I don't think it's ridiculous to start looking and planning well ahead of the time you want to move, it's a good idea to come and look around at the areas your thinking of buying in.  I don't know Burgas I've never visited, I live quite close to Varna

There are lots of Brits living slightly more inland, around Provadia which is a fair sized town, lots of shops and cafes , everything you need.  It's around a 40minute drive into Varna I think, depending whereabouts you are.  For me it's a bit too hot inland, but everyone's different, and of course in the Spring and the Autumn it's good that it's warmer. 

It's good that you are a ‘handyman', you'll certainly find that useful, lots of the ‘Cheap' houses on the market will need total renovation, we bought what we thought was a good house but we still ended up having everything done, new roof, wiring, plumbing, flooring, bathroom, kitchen, walls, you get the picture, we also had insulation cladding and double glazing, which is good, cooler in summer, warmer in winter.  The houses here are generally not built to the standard we're  used to in the U.K.

Buying is easy, My advice is to go through an estate agent, don't try to buy privately, people have been caught out this way, many properties have multiple owners, ie, they have been left between brothers and sisters, if one of the owners is not in agreement the sale can't go ahead.  You will need to put a non refundable deposit, usually 2000 Eur. Then you will go before a notary to complete the sale, the estate agent should arrange everything for you.

Good luck in finding your home in Bulgaria.

All the best Sue

Hi Sue,
Thank you for your reply and info/ advice, very much appreciated. I've also been looking around Varna too, but more inland and rural, like you said near Provadia. Also thank you regarding buying through an agent, I've heard a few bad reports of people getting ripped off through private buying and going through the process of buying with an Estate agent is a must for me.
I'm looking at semi- retiring as I only have a small budget to work on but would still like to work , through my trade amongst the expat community. I'm surprised at how cheap some of the rural properties are, I know some look beyond renovation, but there's quite a few that can be salvaged under €10,000, with quite a lot of land with fruit trees and vegetable plots.
Is there plenty of decent builders merchants around Varna , and are their material prices cheap or reasonable ? Also , would there be any other additional costs ( taxes) when buying properties ?
I understand living is cheap out there, ie: utility bills, food, petrol, and of course 🍺 or 🍷.

I have so many questions to ask Sue, but don't want to overload or pressure you with a bombardment of different questions.
I'm hoping to buy a lovely property that will become my home and is big enough to accommodate my children ( all grown up) and grandchildren to visit the odd occasion from the UK.

Anyway, again Thank you for any info and advice on different matters, please stay in touch. I'm always asking for as much information from different expats at any time and hopefully that visit to Bulgaria won't be that long away.
Take care and kind Regards
Graham 👍

Closed