New members of the Belarus forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Belarus forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Belarus if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi,

my name is Lula and I am since almost three weeks living in Minsk. For how long... hmmm I dont know! But at least for a year. I am working for an NGO and I assume it will all depend on funding (we currently apply for funding for a 5-year project in Belarus).
I like to hang out with local people, whereever I go, but I also think this forum can also be very helpful if we want share our experiences (though Belarus expats seem to be scarce so far :) ).

I love the sound of the russian language and I am trying to learn it myself. Besides, I am quite and active person, I like different kinds of sports (not watching, but doing it), and I am strongly considering having a dog, though I see there are some restrictions in Minsk to it.

Feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,
Lula

Hi Lula,
If you dont mind me asking, where are you originally from?

We just moved to Minsk from the United States with our dog for our jobs as well. I will be looking for a dog sitter.  Are you interested in that ? 

I agree with you on the Russian language, it fascinates me! My husband has been trying to learn it for about 3 months now.

I look forward to your reply.

BB

Dear BB,

the last couple years I was moving a lot and kind of all over the place, but I was raised and grow up in Germany. Spend some years studying and working in Poland, studied also in Germany, New Zealand. Had the opportunity to spend a while in SE Asia and West Africa. But now I am here :)

Of course, it would be great to sit your dog. This is the best way to get accustomed with Belarusian dog/pet-owner life. Besides, I love dogs, taking them on walks and training them. I will write you a private message.

Best,
Elleni

Hello There ,

This is Huda , I'm from Egypt . I'm a Fluent English Speaker and speaks Arabic too .I'm an Network Engineer in Orange Business Services Egypt ,and I don't speak Russian at all .

My Belarussian girl friend and I will marry soon .I don't know what life will look like if we live in Belarus while I'm making my first steps learning Russian .However , My concern is can I find a job in my field or even a part time job in any other field like tourism while I speak only English till I master Russian or I won't be able at all to find a job ?

My field is a hot commodity in Minsk , but don't know whether I can find work as Network Engineer without learning Russian at the beginning or not.of course I'm willing to learn Russian , but I'm talking about the situation when I first arrive in Belarus as an only English Speaker.

I hope that each one has a piece of advice for me to share it with me to help me to make the right decision .

Thanks!!

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=829848

Thanks!

Closed