Life style for families

Greetings Expats in Costa Rica,

I got a job offer, a 1 year contract with the possibility of becoming full time employee at the end of the contract. The plan is to bring my family (wife + 10 yrs old twins) once the job becomes a full time one but I'd like to start getting information related to life style for families and how to adjust to a new country.

This would be my second expat experience as my wife and I are originally from Mexico and moved to Canada 12 years ago. My kids were born in Canada but speak Spanish but not at a level a native Spanish speaker 5th grader would speak/write.

My wife and I would really appreciate any insights you could share to start planning the project to bring my family later on.

Thanks in advance

Suggest you read the information offered on this website.

If you apply for Temporary Residency, you can't have a work visa, enabling you to legally work. It is one or the other. It will take approx 5 years from your initial application to become a Permanent Resident and legally able to 'physically' work without a work visa.
Being bilingual will make it easier to obtain work, but your wife would require her own work visa.

You may prefer to enroll your children in a bilingual school, which starts approx $300+ per month not including other 'incidentals.' Most expat families tend to choose private facilities, however depending on their Spanish skills you may want to consider the public schools. These vary throughout the country.

Are you both Canadian citizens?

MexCan wrote:

I got a job offer, a 1 year contract with the possibility of becoming full time employee at the end of the contract. The plan is to bring my family (wife + 10 yrs old twins) once the job becomes a full time one but I'd like to start getting information related to life style for families and how to adjust to a new country.

This would be my second expat experience as my wife and I are originally from Mexico and moved to Canada 12 years ago. My kids were born in Canada but speak Spanish but not at a level a native Spanish speaker 5th grader would speak/write.

My wife and I would really appreciate any insights you could share to start planning the project to bring my family later on.

Thanks in advance

Hola MexCan,

Welcome to Expat.com!

From what you write, it doesn't sound like you have visited the country yet?  That would be my first suggestion.  You need to explore and see if you feel that your family would even like it here.  Canada and Costa Rica are as different as Canada and Mexico.  I spent a lot of time in Mexico and would say that CR is more developed in some ways.  My opinion - the food in Mexico is far, far superior.

At least the language would not be a struggle for you and that is the first stumbling block for many expats.  A friend down the road from me moved down here with her 10 year old girl about 6 months ago.  Her daughter did not speak any espanol and is adjusting well.  With your kids at least speaking some it will be a much easier acclimation.

I would also make 100% sure that what you are being offered in employment is what you would actually get.  I've read and heard many stories of people being promised work only to find it wasn't all that was promised and issues with actually receiving a work visa.  Be safe by being skeptical of what you're being told.

Another thing I always suggest when you visit is to look at your surroundings with the idea of "living here" and not as a "vacation."  Two very, very different concepts.  You can find ideas and opinions from many of us but they are just that, our opinions.  It's important for you to come down and explore, have fun and discover what would work for you and your family.

Best of luck to you on your new adventure!  ☀️🌴

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member

Hi Kohlerias,

Thanks for the information and links. We are both Canadian citizens.

A question that I hope you or any other Expat would help me with is what would be a good salary for a family of 4? considering that I'd be enrolling my kids in a bilingual school, at least during the first years here in CR.

Thanks in advance

ExpatDave wrote:
MexCan wrote:

Thanks in advance

Hola MexCan,

Welcome to Expat.com!

From what you write, it doesn't sound like you have visited the country yet?  That would be my first suggestion.  You need to explore and see if you feel that your family would even like it here.  Canada and Costa Rica are as different as Canada and Mexico.  I spent a lot of time in Mexico and would say that CR is more developed in some ways.  My opinion - the food in Mexico is far, far superior.

At least the language would not be a struggle for you and that is the first stumbling block for many expats.  A friend down the road from me moved down here with her 10 year old girl about 6 months ago.  Her daughter did not speak any espanol and is adjusting well.  With your kids at least speaking some it will be a much easier acclimation.

I would also make 100% sure that what you are being offered in employment is what you would actually get.  I've read and heard many stories of people being promised work only to find it wasn't all that was promised and issues with actually receiving a work visa.  Be safe by being skeptical of what you're being told.

Another thing I always suggest when you visit is to look at your surroundings with the idea of "living here" and not as a "vacation."  Two very, very different concepts.  You can find ideas and opinions from many of us but they are just that, our opinions.  It's important for you to come down and explore, have fun and discover what would work for you and your family.

Best of luck to you on your new adventure!  ☀️🌴

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member

Hola Expat Dave,

Thank you so much for your reply. In fact, we have never been to CR, but we have heard and read a lot of good things about it. I'm sure there are some not so good things as every where in the world.

It is great to hear about kids adjusting to the life in CR, as that is my biggest concern. I agree with you that my kids speaking Español should be good adjusting to the new life.

The offer I got is a contract for one year with the possibility of becoming a full time employee. The company is big and I'm assuming the offer is a formal one. I'm about to sign the contract. They have suggested an immigration lawyer to help with the work visa and other paperwork.

My plan is to be there by myself during the first year and have my family visiting during the summer and like you said, with the idea of showing my wife and kids how is life in CR.

I would appreciate any other information you could share. I'm not sure if you could provide an estimate of a good salary for a family of 4, with the idea of enrolling my kids in a bilingual school.

Thanks again!
MexCan

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that this new thread has been created from your posts on the Costa Rica forum for better interaction.

All the best,
Bhavna

Note that it is your employer that applies for a what is required]work visa, on your behalf, not you. At a later date, if you decide to continue working with this company, know you can't apply for Temporary residency for your family, but must continue with a work visa, where the company must reapply on your behalf every year.

I would ask $2000+ to cover your expenses while living here...but think that may be 'wishful thinking', to get this, as wages tend to be  much lower here. Expect a vehicle to possibly costs double than at 'home...'

Finding a private school for $300 may be difficult, but it totally depends on your chosen location, which looks to be Cartago. For your children's education it may be best to enroll them in an Internationally accredited school, which will be more expensive.

Check out the Canadian government webpages to see what taxes, etc. may be due/withheld, when working on a work visa.

There seems to  be a problem with a link regarding getting a work visaso try this one