Continued residency/change of residency

Has anyone had experience with this? I came here at age 17 with my parent who is a highly skilled migrant. I am now an adult and would like to apply for a different visa.

If I understand correctly, then according to this: https://ind.nl/en/other/Pages/Applicati … orary.aspx  , I can apply for this type of visa.

Is that correct? Would I have the same types of benefits as Dutch citizens or permanent residents?

Hi again. :)

I think you can; this link will take you to the relevant part of the Dutch Government IND website that deals with this.

With regards to benefits related to Dutch citizens, no, you would not be a Dutch citizen unless you apply for Dutch nationality (and surrender your US passport).  If you are granted permanent residence, then yes, you'd be the same as the rest of those with similar status.

One last point; there have been reports of US citizens living in the EU having issues with personal banking; this link will take you to the relevant part of our German Forum that contains the thread.  I haven't heard the same in Holland (I also hold a US passport), but it's something you need to be aware of (and maybe your Dad).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi again Cynic!

Yes, this would be ideal, as then I could qualify for lower tuition fees I believe by being on that visa. Thanks!

No problem.  My advice is to contact the IND and make an appointment to check with them; this link will take you to their website with the contact details.