The best apps for expats in Jamaica

Hello,

We invite you to share information regarding some of the apps that have helped to facilitate your move abroad in Jamaica. This will help expats-to-be who are making the move as well.

Which apps did you use while preparing your move to Jamaica?

What apps do you use the most for your everyday life in Jamaica: whether it's for transport, managing finances, general information, learning the language of your host country, leisure activities, etc.?

How does this technology help you in your everyday life as an expat?

Which apps would you recommend to expatriates in Jamaica and why?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Here Jamaica it's like living in the 1950's or 60's in many ways.  Example:  They often still use carbon paper to make copies of receipts at the hardware store.  So apps aren't front and center but there are a few that we use. 

WhatsApp is universally used by Expats and Jamaicans alike.  SMS texts tend to cost more. 

I also use KnutsfordMobile to book the express bus to and from the airport.

For the exchange rate, I use GlobalExchange.  It also converts metric into Imperial measurements when needed. 

Of course, we use the typical booking apps and airline apps to check on flight prices, room rates, etc.

Finally, we have a somewhat reliable Jamaican app MyDigicel, that tracks data usage on our mobile phones as well allowing credit to be added as needed. 

I think that's about it!