New York City to Riyadh, KSA

Hello all.  Recently arrived in Riyadh by way of NYC. It not NYC...but it also isn't -10 degrees out!     Looking forward to meeting new people and enjoying the sites and adventures that lie ahead in this great town and country.

Would appreciate any recommendations on places to go and activity groups such as running and hiking clubs.

Look forward to meeting up someday and exploring together.  Feel free to DM me... I have nothing but time as I await my Igama (is it Igama or Iqama???)

Regards

Welcome to the land of sand!

I suggest to wait for your iqama before roaming around to avoid any fuss when exploring the country.

Surely, there are many adventures ahead of you here in Saudi if you are willing to take it on. There are many clubs here in Riyadh such as Riyadh Road Runners, HHH, etc.

definitely not the place to cause a fuss.  looking forward to finding some clubs with mutual interest. 

thx

NYC_Expat_2018 wrote:

definitely not the place to cause a fuss.  looking forward to finding some clubs with mutual interest. 

thx

I'm not referring to you when i talk about the fuss.  :D
It is meant for you so you can avoid unnecessary circumstances. Nowadays, there are so many random check points that are placed around the city. For instance, they ask for iqama and you haven't got yours. Then that's the start of unnecessary situation that you may get into or if you are lucky they will just let you pass without any discussion. Though you can present your passport or temporary iqama in place of iqama if you have those.

Don't get me wrong as long as you have passport or iqama or temporary iqama, you can stroll around the city. I am just giving you some insights of what may happen if you only have passport with you.

You are definitely right, this is not the place to cause a fuss.  :)

Is anyone familiar with the café called Eggs & Flour located at the Kindi Plaza in the Diplomatic Quarter?  I was thinking of making this one of my first places to visit if it got good recommendations.

Thx

Download the app Foursquare 98% of restaurants are there with reviews pics and locations in addition to any activity facility whatever you like very helpful.

Great idea, thank you for the recommendation.

Hi There,, This is Abdul a PAkistani National , working in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. my one year in saudia has been completed, I am also keenly interested to meet new people to hang out. If you like then we can meet. my iqama is also in re-new process cannot go outside without iqama, I work in a factory as a quality assistant. Please consider me. I would love to meet you! Thank you!

Hello Abdul thank you for the message.  Absolutely, once i get Iqama i would look forward to meeting as many people as possible.

Maybe Café on Diplomatic Quarter.

Will update when Iqama is approved

Welcome to Riyadh, NewYorker.
As the seeker of truth said, you should wait for iqama to arrive before you explore this land.  Also as halimaab advised download FourSquare to help you find places you want to go.

Looking for places to go? Diplomatic Quarters should definitely be one of them, there are plenty of walking trails and parks to run/hike.

If you are planning to just chill and/or eat I advise you to either go to "Eggs and Flour" or Scalini (More on the expensive side).

There is a lot of cafe's as well, personally prefer "Fresh Grills". There is also a sports club if you plan on doing any sports: tennis, swimming, gym etc. (Needs a membership).

Thank you.  I will add Scalini to the list.

Take a walk in Tahlia street, the weather is good and there are plenty of coffee shops, You may also find good Gyms as well, if you have fitness in mind.

Sure, When you done then Please let me know as I am waiting for you!  Thank you!