Activities in CR

I'm coming in for my first CR visit soon and wanted to do some of the touristy activities with my adult kid.
Volcano Hike in La Fortuna, Zip lining Canopy thing.. stuff like that. Everywhere I look has "packages" to these activities including van ride and admission. We will have a vehicle so the ride is not needed. I can't seem to find basic info on prices for self drive and just paying at the gate. Is what I'm wanting to do even an option? I don't want to pay for "packages" if I don't need anything more than admission. What am I missing? Google searches bring up tour companies only?? Can I ONLY go through a "Tour" Company for these things? Please help or steer my in a good direction. Thank you in advance.

Due to people entering the parks without permission for safety reasons. you are encouraged to use a guide. Many areas have restricted entry.

You may get reduced rates by contacting this website and the owner of the site will respond to your questions.

Leaving your empty vehicle while participating in adventure sports, may not be a good idea. The public buses don't offer transport to these facilities, so transportation is usually included.

News articled just published

There are numerous places to go. Best if you contact someone in the area you will be spending time.
I traveled most of the Country, without a "tour" and never had my car vandalized. 
What area will you be visiting?