Would Expat.com have a chance in the Silicon Valley ?

Hi everyone,

hope you are well. For a tech entrepreneur, going to the silicon valley one day is like a dream coming true. Two members from the team and I are flying to San Francisco in February to showcase Expat.com in a startup event.

I've been bootstrapping for years, but I really want our service to become global, as I think what we're doing has a strong impact and we're changing the world (by facilitating international mobility) + we've got a strong potential if we could develop the service as I would like it to be .. without waiting X more years. I mean inviting an investor in the projet would definitely instantly boost us.

Here are my question : is the silicon valley recommended for a project like Expat.com ? Would we potentially interest the ecosystem (and survive) ? And how could I possibly make the most of my week in SF ? Any idea, suggestion or contact is obviously welcome.

Thanks everyone,

Julien

What are your trying to sell?

Hi twostep,

you mean which the paying services we are willing to propose on expat.com ?

Health insurance, Moving services, Financial advice, and a disruptive approach of Relocation services which we are working on at the moment.

Have you made any appointments to meet with multiple venture capitalist? I'm going to assume that you have as that would be the smartest thing to do in your situation. There is a company that a good friend of mine works for called Plug and Play which is the worlds largest start up accelerator and is located in Silicon Valley. These are the types of people/ companies you need to be connecting with during your visit.

Another obvious thing to do in preparation for your trip would be to make sure to know your competitors. What makes expat.com different at the time being compared to other similar sites.

Come fully prepared to be bombarded with questions because the Silicon Valleys tech industry is extremely cut throat. Come fully prepared with exact details of what you are trying to achieve and how you plan on achieving it.

In my opinion, you will 100% need investors. Convincing people to buy into your idea will only work by having a clear description on how you plan to grow expat.com. This too I am going to assume you know.

Ideas are great but knowing exactly how you are going to bring them to life is what matters.

thanks @Toncoisetmonique for your reply.

Have you made any appointments to meet with multiple venture capitalist?

Not yet, I am just starting now. I have a couple of contacts, I hope my project is ambitious enough to be of interest to them. I am still preparing my presentation deck at the moment.

There is a company that a good friend of mine works for called Plug and Play which is the worlds largest start up accelerator and is located in Silicon Valley. These are the types of people/ companies you need to be connecting with during your visit.

Definitely. Well, I guess it's worth asking : do you think I could get in touch with your friend, who works at plug and play tech center?

In my opinion, you will 100% need investors. Convincing people to buy into your idea will only work by having a clear description on how you plan to grow expat.com. This too I am going to assume you know.

Investors would definitely help us in supercharging the platform. It's not only a matter of money but a matter of network, of skills and so on. I want to go global.

Ideas are great but knowing exactly how you are going to bring them to life is what matters.

I can't agree more. Only the execution matters !

thanks for your ideas, support and suggestions,

Julien

My friend is traveling in Japan right now but should be back at the end of this week. I'll mention expat.com to him and see if he can pass your information to the right person.

Exciting to see how this unfolds for expat.com

Julien wrote:

Hi twostep,

you mean which the paying services we are willing to propose on expat.com ?

Health insurance, Moving services, Financial advice, and a disruptive approach of Relocation services which we are working on at the moment.

Hopefully this will not turn into another version of International Living.

mugtech wrote:

Don't know International Living so it probably never happen. I've never been that much interested in what others are doing..

This said it's now official : Expat.com is selected for the top50 startups showcasing during the Startup Grind conference next week :) I can't wait to fly to the valley !

Julien wrote:
mugtech wrote:

Don't know International Living so it probably never happen. I've never been that much interested in what others are doing..

This said it's now official : Expat.com is selected for the top50 startups showcasing during the Startup Grind conference next week :) I can't wait to fly to the valley !

Good Luck!!!!

Julien wrote:
mugtech wrote:

With all due respect, I believe Silicon Valley would not like the attitude you've expressed.

Any developing business, tech or otherwise, must be able to show potential investors and collaborators that they are thoroughly educated as to their competition.

You have some good features on your site, but it certainly isn't unique or superior in providing information which is quickly and easily accessible.

Of course, this example is only for one country, but when I really want information on Mexico, I go to https://www.mexperience.com ~ They don't have a forum, but they do have information arranged in such a way that I can find it quickly, without advertising hijacking the page.

Even International Living, as much as it tries to constantly bait and upsell, provides more easily accessible information than this site.

http://internationalliving.com

Respectfully, you need unique functions and unique designs to catch significant attention in Silicon Valley. You are not only lacking in both, you haven't even developed an app (or if you have, you haven't tested it with us).

As long as the design of this site remains archaic, and you lack a unique algorithm for allowing all data (forum and otherwise) to be quickly accessed by people who are NOT tech savvy, I doubt Silicon Valley will take significant interest.

Having said all that, you have managed to compile a large list of members/subscribers I'm sure, and you can take pride in that accomplishment.

Here's wishing you success in the face of a daunting challenge.

Sincerely,

Gordy Thomas

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/sun.jpg