Going out in Oxford

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Oxford?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

Nobody has information in order to go out in Oxford like pub restaurant, museum... ?
Thanks by advance,
Laurent

I lived in Oxford for 3 years, been back in the US for two, but I don't think the information is too dated.

Good pubs and restaurants abound in Oxford. Around the north part of town, check out Jericho - I was particularly fond of the Jericho Tavern, but there are lots of good places there, and there are tons of restaurants and bars - oh, Rauls for cocktails is fantastic, though a bit pricey.  Also if you get farther afield, check out Summertown - the Summertown Wine Cafe is lovely and there are some great Italian restaurants. Had less luck with pubs up there, but worth the trip nonetheless.

The east part of town, around Cowley Road, is great for cheaper eats and ethnic foods - I'm less familiar with the pubs around there but I'm sure there are good ones.

In the town centre, there are lots of places.  The Kings Arms is very popular, gets quite busy on weekend nights, is ok but not my fave.  Also the Turf is great in the summer, though very popular, and can get lots of tourists (if they can find it!) The Bear is a great tiny pub, lots of character.

Most clubs are in the centre of town. I'm not a big club goer, so I'm not the best source - but the Bridge is popular, there's also a club on the High Street that's pretty good (I forget its name, sorry!), Baby Bar has a couple of good nights.  The Purple Turtle in the basement of the Oxford Union is cheap and cheesy, very studenty.  Basically, the Oxford club scene is fairly "eh" all around, from what I've seen/heard - if you're big on clubs go to London.