Looking for recommendations: French lessons

Hi.
I am looking for recommendations of someone who can provide one-on-one French lessons in the Trou aux Biches area.
Also the lessons would need to be in the evening / on weekends.
Thanks in advance.

HI,

Can you specify what level will be the students and the purpose of the lesson?

Pascal

Hi Pascal

It would be for myself. I studied French at school many years ago but am very rusty / lack confidence.

Ideally I want to be able to hold every day conversations with confidence, as well as improve my writing skills.

I can just about manage in reading 😀

Hi Samantha,

I can try to help. But all will depend on your expectations and your willingness to learn.

Are you in urgent need? Is it for work or for personal use? If in the evening, how many time per week are you planning to have sessions? And what time frame are you thinking when you say evening??

Reading is a good thing. You can try reading aloud and having someone correct your pronunciation. Concerning writing skills, for French specially, the more you read, the more you learn how to write. Try school manuals.

Anyway, just let me know your expectations and I will tell if something can be done.

Pascal

Hi Samantha, just an additional idea, i'm trying to see if anyone wants to start a french speaking group, in which people can practice their spoken French.

If you're interested let me know.

Hi Pascal
It's not urgent no. More a case of I have been here five years and not made much progress - slightly embarrassing! Plus I am so slow and my accent is awful 😂

That would be a good idea - yes I am interested

Thank you for everyone's suggestions 😀

Cool, i'm going to see if i can get some more people and then let you know.

Another alternative for French lessons is Alliance Francaise, they offer French courses and have an intake in February.

That sounds an interesting alternative. Could you share the contact details, please.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free promotion of your services is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Samantha, you can also download Duolingo on a smart phone. Works very well and is free.

Hi Samantha,

I am moving to Mauritius later this year and going to be living in Belle Vue in Mapou. I also need to brush up my french as like you, it is vey rusty from school. I'd love to do conversation classes if you fancied that.

Hi,
You must read a lot of books,  aloud. Look at the mirror and read this is going to help you.  you must hear what you are  reading. and for writing this you  can do some translation but  I think first you must listen to the French Bulletin  on Tv or Radio. THis is of great help

love
Loshinee

@Rachel
Most definitely!!! When are you moving over? Let's stay in touch and we can give each other some moral support / encouragement 😀

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

Hey Samantha,

I've been here for two years now and I also need serious French practice. I live in Grand baie. Could we plan meet-ups and practice? Little conversations that could hopefully evolve into big speeches. lol. Also, following the thread, I love the idea of group meet-ups to practice our French.

@Islander, I'd love to be part of the French- speaking/ practice group.

Islander316

My wife and I emigrate at the end of March and we both need to do some conversational french so a group sounds the best idea.  We will be staying in Cap Malheureux.

Philip

vmoon21 wrote:

Hello Veronica

Can you send the link to your French / Creole courses website?
I will live in Pereybere and want to know where do you attend the courses?

Thank you
// Rickard

Girls totally up for joining this too! I am moving to the island in a couple of weeks and my french is rusty and would like to get it strong conversational so maybe group classes could that work?!

Hi everyone,

Just got a message saying some people are interested in starting a french speaking group, to practice your french, which i am still keen to do.

Let me know who's still around and interested, and if there's enough people i'll look into how we can best organise a meet up.

I will need lessons (preferably group ones to keep costs down) as apart from ordering a beer I cant say much more than that!

I'm still very much interested.