Close

S Pass rejected, is there any solution?

Dear All, especially to Beppi and Surya (because I saw in some thread, both of you really helpful!)
My S Pass has been rejected a week ago.
My employer already try to asked MoM officer, but they didn't mention any reason why my pass has rejected. And some alternatives came out from my employer to MoM officer, but they said there's nothing changes the result in the end.
My background are :
1. This pass purposes is for my international assignment in Spore for one year.
2. Salary is combining host and home country with total SGD 3800. SAT tools showed I am eligable for SPass Only, because of salary I think?
3.  Almost 3 years experiences, not linear but still in one department.
4. My company is big MNC

Questions:
1. Is it normal that the reason of rejected because I am not eligible for a work pass. Please find another candidate? What does it means?
2. If MoM didn't mention reason of my rejection, can we do an appeal?
3. Is it because my employer applied SPass instead of EP? Is there any possibility by increasing the salary then apply for EP?
4. Is there any backfire to employee and employer if do appeal but the result is still being rejected?

Thank you really need your suggestions

Sorry to hear your case. Most of your questions you can find our responses provided in several threads. Don’t include your salary at your home country, that’s nothing to do with MoM. MoM only consider how much is your fixed monthly salary in Singapore.

MoM doesn’t have any obligation to inform the employer about the reason of rejection. If MoM has mentioned that you are not eligible to work here and employer should try to find another candidate then it means you are not eligible to work in their company.

Appealing on pass rejection is common. However, you need to provide additional documents or certificates or strong rational why employer wants you to come here for one year. If MoM satisfies the above response then they will accept and approve or else appealing without any additional information is fruitless. I don’t think you are eligible to apply EP, with 3 years experiences, you could have offered much higher salary. No worries if your appeal is rejected, MoM won’t do any backfire to employer on appeal.

Hi Surya,
thanks for the feedback.
If employer only put host country salary, thus it will be less than SGD 3800? is it possible the rejection due to this low salary?
What I got in another thread, if the statement of MoM rejection "I am not eligible, please find another candidate" this is automaticly generated as rejection reason in the system, no matter what the real reason of rejection, doesn't it?
Any suggestion to me what should I do Surya? How the best practices to do appeal for this short term assignment?
Thank you.

It could be a system generated statement (they have 4 to 5 auto generated statements) but what it means is that employer should find other candidate (indirectly MoM says hire a local instead). I don’t know your offered salary in Singapore (You said $3,800 is including your salary back home), but for S pass it looks ok if your salary is around $3500 (excluding salary you are earning back home). If it falls below $3,500 then it’s below market standard and could be a reason for rejection. Employer may consider to increase your salary with justification as MoM needs a valid rational). There is nothing much you can do here other than appealing with additional information. Good luck

zee88 :

What I got in another thread, if the statement of MoM rejection "I am not eligible, please find another candidate" this is automaticly generated as rejection reason in the system, no matter what the real reason of rejection, doesn't it?

Until a year or two ago, this phrase used to mean that the applicant has a black mark in his profile with MoM and won't get a work pass no matter what they do (a.k.a. MoM's "kiss of death").
But since then the phrase seems to be used in other cases, like hwat Surya described above. But in any case it usually means the problem is with the job seeker, not the employer.

zee88 :

If employer only put host country salary, thus it will be less than SGD 3800? is it possible the rejection due to this low salary?

Only Singapore base salary is counted, as Surya said. With a university degree and three years experience, S$3800/month might be at the lower end of what is acceptable.

Hi Surya and Beppi,
meaning I am blacklisted in MoM's eyes? So sad to hear that one, even I didn't know what wrong with me on this case.
If we didn't put home basic country salary in the application meaning my salary will be less than SGD 3000. Anw, I got housing allowance, but employer pay directly to landlord, means we can not add this allowance into my monthly basic salary in application? Or do we need to put this one?
Thank you guys

You are not blacklisted, what we are trying to say is that MoM telling your employer to hire someone else other than you (indirectly, saying to hire a local). You can’t include any other claims or allowances into your salary. MoM has said it clearly that your fixed salary ( or basic salary), which must have written in your employment letter will be considered only.

Ok Surya, thanks.
One thing that still around my mind regarding housing allowance.
Because what I read from MoM website, according to http://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/employment-pa … hly-salary
Fixed monthly salary = basic monthly salary + fixed monthly allowances.
Where fixed monthly allowances is such as fixed food and housing allowances.
Do I need to put my housing allowance into application? With a note that housing allowance will be paid directly from employer to landlord.

You should read your employment letter whether it has stated clearly that you will be getting fixed salary plus fixed housing allowance (it should be written both amount very clearly). Anything is fixed and pay with your monthly salary (not separately) should be included. And, your employer should know this well and they should mention correct amount while applying (if they didn’t then should appeal and mention it correctly), let’s MoM review and provide their consent. Good luck

In most cases, housing allowance is stated as „actal rental cost up to ...“ in an employment contract. That would not be counted as fixed, as the actual cost is not fixed or known. Also, if it‘s paid directly to the landlord, it is not counted.
If your employer is flexible, they could change it to a fixed amount paid to you - and you take care of the rent yourself.

Thanks Surya and Beppi,
You are really nice.
Last thing before I will discuss further with my employer:
If basically, I will get housing allowance, what is the different in MoM's prespective and decision if these allowance counted as monthly fix salary and compare with not counted as monthly fix salary?
Is there any probability on different result?
I think type of pass eligible in SAT will be different.
Thanks!

Basically, the money they give you for rent must be a fixed component of your salary and written in the employment contract (e.g. "In addition to the base salary, Mr. X will also receive S$YYY per month as rental allowance") - or they just increase the base salary, which amounts to the same in the end.
But before they do any of these, they should contact MoM to check whether a higher salary could really change the decision of rejecting your pass.