Vegetarianism and veganism in France.

Hi,
Is it easy to be vegetarian and/or vegan in France?
I guess so.
(Some vegan food brands are from France too).

First, I have to say - I'm not a vegetarian, but I like a nice complement of green stuff. I was frankly shocked at the lack of such in a typical French meal!
I went to a fin d'année lunch, and there was not a single vegetable present! (Well, I think I saw a gherkin-type pickle, but more as a garnish). And there was rice.
I went to a resto for lunch, billed as très français - no vegetables except fries.
Another lunch had a fabulous salad as part of the meal, but it had ham and cheese in it - so, green, but not vegan.
I do know of a few vegetarians here, and there are at least a couple of vegetarian restos in the larger cities. But, my meat *and* veggie view is that it would be difficult.

I am also vegetarian and it's hard for me..I even don't eat eggs and it's difficult to adjust

I didn't think french restaurants were so ''classic'' .
Maybe most of the vegan is in the supermarkets..?

Hi. When I go to French family or friends for meals there's always alot of meat or sea food! I eat meat every so often, but otherwise normally cook veggie dishes and order veggie dishes at restaurants. I find it easy to shop for vegetarian meals at supermarket or local markets here in France. I don't think there's such a huge variety for vegan/vegetarian/gluten free etc here as other countries, uk for example, but there are still enough options to live and eat well :)

Hi, I have been a vegetarian for decades and it is the same in France as in other countries. You can easily buy all kinds of fruits, grains and vegetables in the various markets. When you eat out, you can request a vegetarian plate.... if you are not sure a particular restaurant will make you one, just call ahead of time. You can also check Trip Advisor to see which restaurants offer vegetarian options. Don't be afraid to talk to people about your choice to increase their awareness about animals. Good luck.

JulieH wrote:

First, I have to say - I'm not a vegetarian, but I like a nice complement of green stuff. I was frankly shocked at the lack of such in a typical French meal!
I went to a fin d'année lunch, and there was not a single vegetable present! (Well, I think I saw a gherkin-type pickle, but more as a garnish). And there was rice.
I went to a resto for lunch, billed as très français - no vegetables except fries.
Another lunch had a fabulous salad as part of the meal, but it had ham and cheese in it - so, green, but not vegan.
I do know of a few vegetarians here, and there are at least a couple of vegetarian restos in the larger cities. But, my meat *and* veggie view is that it would be difficult.

I don't know where you went for that end of year lunch but 99.9% of family meals include vegetables in France! The restaurant you went billed as "très français" was not a good one, sounds like fast food, as REAL French restaurants have lots of vegetables served with their main entrée and "crudités" aka raw veggies served as appetizers. When you order your big salad, it is easy to ask for no meat in it. As I wrote, I have been a vegetarian in France for years and it is NOT difficult.

Hi, I've been a vegetarian for many years & moved to France a couple of months ago. Its no problem to find food in restaurants either & its so delicious. The Bio Coop has many vegetarian options. Larger Carrefour supermarkets stock Quorn products & many other veggie options. The fresh veggie markets are divine. Ive never felt so healthy - of course a big dollop of sun helps too :)

Hi,
I'm vegetarian/pescetarian and live in the Normandy countryside.  A few of the local restaurants will cater to vegetarians and vegans, especially if one calls them in advance to let them know.  In the supermarkets and even in the totally organic food stores, there are very few products made for v/vs.  No Quorn, except in big cities, no frozen veggie burgers, etc. Lots of gluten-free things but not much for vegetarians except the usual veggies and grains.  France seems to be slower than other countries to catch on, but perhaps it's because I live in a rural (and heavily agricultural) area and the news and products haven't got here yet.  Kale appears in the greens section at the supermarket from time to time, but most people here think it's cattle feed!  I grow my own.  We can usually find ways to cope with most challenges here.
Linda in Le Perche

Maybe in Normandy Butter is even better than margarine....

silvma wrote:

Maybe in Normandy Butter is even better than margarine....

Yes, that's for sure, an organic Normandy butter.

Organic Normandy butter is delicious.   I don't use much butter but it's certainly preferable to margarine. Margarine is industrial lubricant and very bad for humans.  There are a number of organic dairies in the area that sell goat and sheep cheese on site and at the markets.  Several organic bakeries are also doing very well.

There is an excellent selection of locally-grown organic veg here, especially at the weekly markets, and several AMAP CSAs to choose from.  No complaints at all about the veg and cheese selection, but it would be nice to have some veggie products at the bio shops.  It will all happen in the fullness of time.  Awareness is growing and the local weekly newspaper (Le Perche) runs a lot of articles about bio farms and shops.