Information please on new Evisas for Canadians

Hello everyone,

Happy to be here on the forum! I want to start by saying hello to everyone, this is really a fantastic site full of really great information and expertise.

I'm planning to make the move to Brazil to be with my girlfriend (soon to be wife). We met here in Canada when she was doing the exchange portion of her PhD and has a fantastic job waiting for her back at home in Vitoria.

We're talking about living together in Brazil for a while, as I can work remotely. This will, of course, involve marriage and the permanency process for me, but first I'll need to visit Brazil, meet her family, and all of that.

Here's the question: The good fortune (I think) for Canadians is that, as of yesterday, we qualified for an EVisa to Brazil for tourism. As far as I can tell it is the standard 90 day visa, but with much less hassle. So, my plan is this.

1) Get the visa
2) Go for two separate trips to Brazil this year for one month each (total of  around 60 days)
3)  In fall of this year, she'll come back to Canada and we will marry there.
4) I'll then return to Brazil (using my last month of eligibility on the tourist visa) and register the marriage there, then start the permanency process. I might need to utilize an extension in order to make this happen, as I'm aware there is probably hellacious red tape.

The catch: When I looked into applying for the tourist visa, I was told by the consulate here in Vancouver that the visa is not extendable. Okay, so maybe this is a quirk of the new Evisa, so I emailed and asked if the standard tourist visa could be extended. I was told that NO visa is extendable and I would need to apply for a new one when the 90 days was done (what???).

My understanding of the situation is that this is not the case and renewing for a second 90 days was a fairly simple matter. Has this changed?

Second question: I'm very curious as to how the days on the visa are counted. I've read that the days are consecutive, but this doesn't match with anything else that I have read. Do days outside of Brazil count toward my maximum 90 (There is absolutely nothing in anything from the consulate or in the guidelines that mentions that 180 day rule).

So, could I spend 30 days in March, return to Canada for several months, spend 30 days in June, return to Canada, and then return to Brazil after getting married while still holding a month's worth of status? It would be a total of 90 days in Brazil and over 90 outside, in Canada.

Can I divide up my days this way?

I get the feeling the consulate is going to say that I can't, but I also get the feeling that either I'm not talking to them in 'official' language, or that the consulate doesn't understand the law. I read the actual law on the website (I believe) and it seems to support my theory.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks so much!

Daniel.

Daniel

I'm not sure about your visa being able to be extended each country is different and some things have changed. One thing you do not need to worry about is after you are married. After you get married and Apostille your marriage you come to Brazil and authenticate your marriage at the cartório you don't need to worry about your tourist visa expiring. Be sure to check the list of requirements on the pf.gov.br website for your permanency and bring all the documents with you. after you authenticate your marriage go to the Federal Police and apply for your permanency. If you have all of the required documents you will be given a protocol and your CIE will arrive in about 60 days. The protocol will be your ID until the CIE which is your identity card arrives. You can use this to travel out of the country if needed.

And you can divide up your days also. Only the days in Brazil count as days used. The day you arrive and the day you leave count as full days.

Jim

Congratulations, Daniel!
Good planning - Espirito Santo is a very nice state, too.  As jland912 says, splitting your visits as you plan shouldn't be a problem.
I would just suggest not only registering your marriage at the Consulate, but looking into getting you VIPER, your permanent residency visa, before you leave Canada, as well.  I did that before coming here from the US in November, and it saved a lot of hassle that people seem to encounter doing it here. 
Brazilian Consulates work with English documents - no sworn translations needed.  They recognize local official documents, so no apostilles (in the US, but I can't imagine that they're more demanding in Canada).  The Foreign Ministry is Brazil's best and most respected bureaucracy, and having them, in effect, "run interference" for you with the Federal Police eases your way.
This was our timeline.  Married in Illinois, July 15.  Registered marriage at Consulate, August  2.  Submitted VIPER docs online, August 5.  Applied for VIPER at Consulate, August 10.  Picked up VIPER at Consulate, August 24.  My biggest holdup was getting my FBI background check, not anything having to do with Brazil.  The RCMP is probably a lot better, but be sure to check their turnaround time.
My husband returned to Brazil September 3, and registered our marriage with the document the Consulate gave us, no hassle.  I arrived November 1on my VIPER, and by Christmas,  I had my CPF (taxpayer ID), Foreigner ID Card, SUS (National Health) Card, and Labor Card, and had opened my Brazilian bank accounts.
You're headed for a great life - all the best!

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section + contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks for the help everyone! Very much appreciated.