Demonstration outside of Parliament 19+20 Jan 2018

*Edited for more details:

Hungary: U.S. Department of State issues Alert noting upcoming demonstrations

On 18 January 2018 the U.S. Department of State issued an Alert noting two upcoming demonstrations on 19 and 20 January.

On 19 January 2018 a demonstration is planned to occur in the capital Budapest. The demonstrators will gather at Kossuth Square near the Parliament Building from 15:00-18:00 local time (13:00-16:00 GMT). Approximately 13,000 people are expected to participate. The demonstration has been called to protest for the improvement of the education system.

On 20 January supporters of religious and community groups will carry out a protest march for religious freedom beginning at 13:45 local time (12:45 GMT). The marchers will gather at Varoshaza Park and walk northeast toward Hosok Tere; the size of the demonstration is unknown at this time. Individuals are advised to expect associated disruptions and to avoid large crowds as a security precaution.

Travelers should anticipate disruptions.

Thanks again for the head's up.
If they wish to stand in the rain then good for them.
I also get these demo warnings through the US embassy site.
Just hope and pray we don't get any warnings of ballistic missiles like my friends in Hawaii got last Sat.
I know Japan got 2 warnings in one month awhile ago!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Thanks again for the head's up.
If they wish to stand in the rain then good for them.
I also get these demo warnings through the US embassy site.
Just hope and pray we don't get any warnings of ballistic missiles like my friends in Hawaii got last Sat.

I've got access to a paid warning system - you can select your countries and it automatically e-mails or updates your phone.  It's not just US Embassy for me, it's from different sources.   I only put the ones about Hungary on when I have time and it's relevant.  Nearly everything I get for HU is political. From the UK, it's usually about travel, traffic, accidents or weather issues.

According to the HU notice, up to 13000 people will be getting wet there but looking out the window, it looks like it's going to clear up somewhat and warmer than of late so probably more people will turn up. 

From what I understand, the gist of the protest on education is said to be because of extremely high pressure and stress on kids and teachers caused by unrealistic targets set by central government.

Poor kids, I heard the same thing happens in Asian countries, too much pressure.
In the end, it really doesn't matter what "toys" one owns when they depart. Too much is put into owning and being able to afford things rather then teaching people to be at peace and how to get along with others.
PS, I tried to edit out my post about nuke warnings. My husband is warning me that I may P off the powers that be... Have to learn to live under the radar.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That was a mistake.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That was when N. Korea was testing its missiles.

Im sure no one is aiming anything at Hungary.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

PS, I tried to edit out my post about nuke warnings. My husband is warning me that I may P off the powers that be... Have to learn to live under the radar.

Which powers are those then?  I wouldn't worry about it - I doubt "they" have the resources or interest to suppress your comment.

On the other hand, watch out for black vans, large Suburbans and guys with earphones, sunglasses and bulky suits.

My husband grew up in the "old days" in Hungary, he has allot of reasons to be a bit paranoid. poor guy...

Of course I was joking about needing a warning for a ballistic attack, I have odd humor...
Would be nice to get a heads up on a nuke though, need enough time to open some bubbly say my prayers and kiss my self good-bye...
I mentioned once before about my childhood experience in 1962 or around that time when we had issues with Cuba and Kennedy was Pres.
My mom was reped for anything, was ready to turn on the gas, give us sleeping pills and put a pillow over our heads if a  warning was given...
She also had a arey of weapons just in case...
I sure hope no one was a crazy reactionary as my mom was over there in Hawaii. Do not wish to read any horror tales, bad enough people were putting their kids down the man hole covers, would only bake them alive.

There was a video on Sky News, of someone hidding a child in a storm drain. Was quickly recovered when they realised it was a mistake.

We live in crazy times for sure.
Thank goodness there wasn't a flash flood with that kid hiding in the drain.
My mom was a "victim" of her times, guess living through the US depression and going through the war made her a bit looney defo a shock to the system.
She also it seems believed the propaganda of,"Better dead then Red."
Don't even want to consider what she and others may of done back in the 60's if the threat was real... She would of had to of hoped it was real if she took out her family and was stuck holding the bag...
Makes me laugh now but wasn't so funny those years ago, mom was nuts.

You might laugh but the UK government's advice was basically to hide under a table and not to go out.  While the proles would be under the table, the government bigwigs had a bunker they could survive in for about 2 years.

There were a couple of public information films which the government paid for as part of a campaign. 

One of them was considered too bleak and depressing, they never actually broadcast it but I think it's probably on YouTube. 

At least when they emerged from the bunker,  us plebs would have been able to exact our revenge using our mutant superpowers.

New demo...(note: this is a cut and paste as sent to me)...

Hungary: Further protests possible ahead of immigration bill debate

As of 20 January 2018 further protests are possible in the capital Budapest ahead of parliamentary debates over a set of controversial bill related to immigration.

On 19 January dozens of protesters carried out a demonstration outside Parliament against the package of three measures aimed at blocking illegal immigration. The bills would block Hungarian citizens and domestic non-governmental organizations from aiding migrants. Parliament plans to debate the bills beginning in early February.

Individuals are advised to avoid associated protests as a security precaution.

Sounds about right, get under your school desk or a sturdy table , get into a kneeling  pose  and cover your head with your hands...
That's what we were made to do in grade school in Ca. in the 60's.
The only thing that was right about that was the kneeling pose because you were able to pray!
The alarm would go over the classroom PA system and everyone would drop under their desks until the all clear was sounded.
No wonder people are so odd, we have grown up in fear most of our lives thanks to our own gov. that we are suppose to be in control of, makes no sense at all to me.

I checked out some old civil defense films on U tube from the cold war years.
I remember seeing them in school and having to act the fool by going under the desk.
Called, "Duck and Cover". No need to have a real shelter if you have a desk and can crawl under...
How dumb did they really think we were, even as a 6 year old I knew something wasn't exactly,"Kosher" about going under the desk.When the teacher didn't go down I knew it was fake.
Brain washing the kids early, can't start soon enough.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

No wonder people are so odd, we have grown up in fear most of our lives thanks to our own gov. that we are suppose to be in control of, makes no sense at all to me.

My Dad (WW2 veteran) always told me that there are no atheists in foxholes.  Praying under the table might be the right move - just to cover the bases.

Not just own own governments are odd, but other governments as well. What I find quite strange even weird is that people are so keen to embrace extremist thinking and not work out stuff for themselves. We should - if we are really all human and of the same species - come out with a balanced view.

If people were stuck on a lost deserted island after deportation flight crashed, I think the nuances and rules about immigration this and immigration that would soon be forgotten and replaced with cooperation on survival. As the days, months and years passed, no-one would be able to tell one group from the other and it'd all even out in the end. It's human nature.

SimCityAT wrote:

There was a video on Sky News, of someone hidding a child in a storm drain. Was quickly recovered when they realised it was a mistake.

Yeah.

Well.

Sky news.....

No surprise airing rubbernecking "click bait" before confirming the facts**, consider the majority stake holders....

** Which is pretty much true of all so called "cable news".

fluffy2560 wrote:

If people were stuck on a lost deserted island after deportation flight crashed, I think the nuances and rules about immigration this and immigration that would soon be forgotten and replaced with cooperation on survival. As the days, months and years passed, no-one would be able to tell one group from the other and it'd all even out in the end. It's human nature.

Er... Um.... Ever read "Lord of the Flies"? ;)

Or the real infighting history of Rapa Nui?

In short, human nature is complex. It does not necessarily follow a set pattern. Or even a sane pattern.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Er... Um.... Ever read "Lord of the Flies"? ;)

Or the real infighting history of Rapa Nui?

In short, human nature is complex. It does not necessarily follow a set pattern. Or even a sane pattern.

I thought that might come up but being an arbitrary contrarian, chose to conveniently ignore.

In any case, Lord of the Flies and Rapa Nui are just fake news.

BTW, here's an example of other warnings I receive.   Note the rather obvious warning at the end (my highlighting):

Turkey: *UPDATE* Ground operations commence in north Syria

On 20 January 2018 President Tayyip Erdogan announced that ground operations had begun in northern Syria. The offensive is targeting Kurdish Workers Party (PKK) and People's Protection Unit (YPG) fighters in the Syrian cities Afrin and Manbij. The objective of the offensive is to remove Kurdish fighters from the border areas. It is currently unknown if Turkish soldiers have crossed the Syrian border, however 15,000 Free Syrian Army (FSA) rebels had been positioned east of Afrin in preparation for the offensive and are believed to have crossed the border. Travelers should avoid the area.

Avoid the area?  Really? No s**t Sherlock!

I hate to admit it but Lord of the Flies is closer to human nature then we dare believe.
People can be very scary at times.
I used to think everyone was good at heart but realized some people do operate from the dark side.
Just try to avoid them best we can is all we can really do.
For example, back in the late 1960's when looking back people see that as the "good old days", my parents had a huge motorbike accident.
A car took a left turn in front of the bike and they both flew over the top of the car with the heavy Harley landing on my step-dad. He was out cold and really messed up.
My mom had landed on top of the bike and was mostly just bruised and shaken up.
Major intersection in S.Ca. with heavy traffic all around.
No one and I mean no one came over to check on them, my mom was trying to lift the bike off of her husband.
people just watched like it was entertainment, finally my poor mom screamed at all the people and a guy came over to help her lift the bike up, only one person and after he took it over to a gas station on the corner, he came back to ask my mom for money for his efforts!
Yes, sometimes people are not worth a second thought, sad to say.
Then again some people make it worthwhile, mostly they are too few and too far between.
The truth comes out when things get ugly, that's why Lord of the Flies is closer to reality then any of us wish to know.
I also think we are saturated too much with some news, just upsets us, events that happen on the other side of the world can undo sensitive people, in the old days we were probably happier as a species not knowing about some earthquake or flood on the other side of the world, something we couldn't do a thing about anyways.
Lived in Hawaii for a few years, makes me think of Rapa Nui. Over there at least in my experience people were either sweeter then one could imagine and real or meaner then the devil himself, nice thing is people there will let you know right away, no games.
Yes, they did human sacrifice and my Hawaiian friends joked that Captain Cook was said to have been a tasty treat.
Ignorance is bliss.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....A car took a left turn in front of the bike and they both flew over the top of the car with the heavy Harley landing on my step-dad. He was out cold and really messed up.
My mom had landed on top of the bike and was mostly just bruised and shaken up.
Major intersection in S.Ca. with heavy traffic all around.
No one and I mean no one came over to check on them, my mom was trying to lift the bike off of her husband.
people just watched like it was entertainment, finally my poor mom screamed at all the people and a guy came over to help her lift the bike up, only one person and after he took it over to a gas station on the corner, he came back to ask my mom for money for his efforts!.....

There's one of those theories or observations about it.....bystander effect.   Everyone stands there watching and doing nothing.  Been some serious incidents regarding that, including murders.

I've experienced this a bit myself.  Mrs Fluffy and I witnessed a UK road traffic accident once a long time ago.  We were driving along a highway when a car passed us  on the left but it was somersaulting in the air and then came to a stop just to our left up an embankment.   So we stopped, called the police on the mobile (we could hardly describe where we were) but surprisingly, people stopped also, and some even started directing traffic but NO-ONE went to the car (including us) to check on the occupants.  Neither Mrs Fluffy or I would have known what to do or we could have made it worse by trying to help or getting the people out.  I've always felt a small sense of guilt over not going over to the car.  Mrs Fluffy is one of those people who feels sick/nauseous/faint when she sees blood and could have been a casualty herself.  But I could have gone to see if I could have helped.

Seemed like ages but cannot have been more than 10 minutes, the cops arrived and they took over. I think it was not more than 15 minutes, the fire/rescue services appeared and a helicopter also arrived with paramedics landing in the road, then a couple of ambulances/paramedics.   What surprised me somewhat was how absolutely slick the emergency services people were.  Cops sorted out the scene, cleared the area for the chopper, the fire crews blocked off the area with their gear etc.   It was really well organised, utterly professional - I reckon they would have had the injured off to hospital in less than 30 minutes.   

Since we were at the front of the traffic queue, we could see it was all taken care of, so we just left.  I has stuck in my mind and I always wondered what happened to the people.

I'll respond at absolutely anything else..

fluffy2560 wrote:

but NO-ONE went to the car (including us) to check on the occupants

I have seen eight auto accidents happen. Even more within minutes of the actual event. And been directly involved in two auto accidents (both times, someone else's fault), and twice hit on my bike by a car (also not my fault). I was taken away from the scene in one case in an ambulance.

In most cases bystanders should not touch injured victims. Let the pros do that.

One can go and provide moral support (I have done that when I was the first on the scene in two cases), but an accident victim may not be nice to look at, especially if they are no longer among the living (in which case, you can not do any good anyway). So not going to the car can be fully excused due that alone, so don't feel bad.

fluffy2560 wrote:

In any case, Lord of the Flies and Rapa Nui are just fake news.

Ah. Yes. Riiiiiiight. I forgot. Silly me. (wink-wink ;) nudge-nudge  :cheers: )

fluffy2560 wrote:

Avoid the area?  Really? No s**t Sherlock!

Darn. There goes my mid-winter travel plans. I only hope I can get a refund on my tickets on JihadAir (they were the cheapest of the ultra-low-cost airlines. Who cares about politics when you can save $2 one way, right? **).

** Now registered with NSA as a person of "special concern".

klsallee wrote:

Darn. There goes my mid-winter travel plans. I only hope I can get a refund on my tickets on JihadAir (they were the cheapest of the ultra-low-cost airlines. Who cares about politics when you can save $2 one way, right? **)....

I didn't know Ryanair was flying to Syria?

No luggage allowances - black and white sheets are available on arrival.  And only one way seating available as you come back as cargo.  And as a special allowance, there are no security checks so easy boarding.  Passports, all welcome and visa free.

Speaking of which, the UK county of Yorkshire has it's own airline as can be seen in this promotional video:  Yorkshire Airlines

Please let me know ASAP when Yorkshire Airlines goes international!
Can't be any worst then the main stream carriers...
Always wanted to try some fish and chips in a newspaper!
thanks for the laugh!!
My bro and SIL both work for a major US airline. The stories I've heard would make anyone go by bicycle rather then by air.
My bro traveles by Jeep instead of using his flying perks...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Please let me know ASAP when Yorkshire Airlines goes international!
Can't be any worst then the main stream carriers...
Always wanted to try some fish and chips in a newspaper!
thanks for the laugh!!
My bro and SIL both work for a major US airline. The stories I've heard would make anyone go by bicycle rather then by air.
My bro traveles by Jeep instead of using his flying perks...

As the pilot says, there's nowhere better than Yorkshire.   

There's a whole cultural world out there I'm happy to share.

They don't do chips in newspaper nowadays, it's just paper that printed to look like newspaper.  Hygiene regulations but newspaper is actually pretty sterile so you can use it in an emergency. 

Proper chips need to be doused in salt and vinegar (malt vinegar).  I have to fly in my vinegar supplies because no-one knows that here.   But I'm rather keen on Belgium's habit of mayonnaise on chips too.  Mayo in this context is more like remoulade sauce which can be bought here.

In the UK North you tend to get mushy peas splodged on top.  That's what the flight attendant in the video is dolloping out.

Mrs Fluffy and I have never found potatoes to make UK style chips here.  They always come out soggy. Not enough starch in them.   The pots (potatoes) you need are King Edwards or possibly say, Maris Piper.  Never seen those here. I've tried growing them and it's never worked. 

Cultural note: Chips are fries in the UK and chips (like in the USA) are crisps.

fluffy2560 wrote:

In the UK North you tend to get mushy peas splodged on top.  That's what the flight attendant in the video is dolloping out.

I actually like mushy peas. And probably would like a splosh on top of my haute cuisine.... :)

Yes, I know, I am weird at times.  :top:

fluffy2560 wrote:

In the UK North you tend to get mushy peas splodged on top.

Define the North? :D Very popular in the Midlands and must be spreading as the further down south you go you get them more. Also Curry sauce :)

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Define the North? :D Very popular in the Midlands and must be spreading as the further down south you go you get them more. Also Curry sauce :)

Everyone knows the North is anything north of Watford.

I don't think I've ever seen mushy peas with chips offered in the South East.  It's almost obligatory in the deepest North (even further north of Watford). 

Curry sauce has been creeping in as an interloper for many years. Curry is now seen as a basic British dish.  We even spawn our own versions - the Balti for example is a British export to India etc.

Try finding deep fried Mars bars or choc ices south of Glasgow.  No chance.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen mushy peas with chips offered in the South East.  It's almost obligatory in the deepest North (even further north of Watford). 

Curry sauce has been creeping in as an interloper for many years. Curry is now seen as a basic British dish.  We even spawn our own versions - the Balti for example is a British export to India etc.

My friend had a chippy in Clacton on Sea and sold mushy peas, and battered Mars Bars.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Curry is now seen as a basic British dish.

Once, when working in Ghana, having tea with a Zimbabwean of British ancestry, said that the Chinese invented tea, but the British perfected it.  :cool:

And I used to think eating pig's feet was strange....
Love peas but mashed  not so appealing sounding.. yuck.
Sounds like trying to eat a jar of baby food, no taste at all.
I dare anyone to try Hawaiian Poi and not lose their stuff.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Curry is now seen as a basic British dish.

Once, when working in Ghana, having tea with a Zimbabwean of British ancestry, said that the Chinese invented tea, but the British perfected it.  :cool:

When I am offered Tea, I always turn it down, (I just don't like it) I always get, "But why, you are British?"

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

My friend had a chippy in Clacton on Sea and sold mushy peas, and battered Mars Bars.

Mein Gott, that is absolute heresy.  Clacton, mushy peas etc...Jeez...whatever next. 

Next you'll be telling me they sell Boddingtons or Newcastle Brown in Southend.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

And I used to think eating pig's feet was strange....
Love peas but mashed  not so appealing sounding.. yuck.
Sounds like trying to eat a jar of baby food, no taste at all.
I dare anyone to try Hawaiian Poi and not lose their stuff.

Mushy peas actually have a particular taste all of their own and it's relatively strong. 

Not keen myself but others (from up North) rave about it.

Maybe we should take this to Absolutely Anything Else.....

Another one....

Hungary: Demonstrators expected to gather outside of parliament
28 Jan 18

Demonstrators are expected to gather in the Kossuth Lajos square adjacent to the Hungarian Parliament Building in the capital Budapest at 15:00 local time (14:00 GMT) on 28 January 2018. The demonstration has been organized to call for education reforms and is expected to last into the late afternoon hours. At this time it is unclear how many people will attend the event. A heightened number of police officers in proximity to the demonstration can be expected while associated disruptions in the area are also possible. Travelers are advised to follow the directives of local authorities and avoid the demonstration as a precaution.

My old friend of 48 years posted a photo of the Women's march in Spoke, Wash. in which she took part.
Said there were about 8,000 people there.
My other
long time friend is always protesting from her wheelchair in Las Vegas for everything from the pipe line going through native lands, sea life being held in tanks in Vegas casinos to suicide marches.
I wouldn't go with her last visit to Vegas so now I am her enemy no. one.
She put allot of pressure on me to attend  the suicide march because a old  friend of mine had done herself in 30 years ago.
It was sad and she was my friend not the other's, they never even spoke much to each other.
Not my way of remembering anyone by walking with people holding signs and photos of relations and friends who died.
I don't enjoy thinking of those dark things, would rather remember the good times.
I am not sure if marching has done much good for most groups.
OK the civil rights march would of probably been one i would of gone to but women who are wearing "odd" knitted hats and screaming for rights they already have seems like a waste of time to me.
Women of my mothers generation did more for women's rights then many of these young girls have ever even dream of doing.
Seems more like a photo op then a re march for anything.