Documents required for owner financing

Hi,

Does anyone know what documents/papers are required if I wish to buy land/home with owner financing?

Many thanks!

Lots of those smaller (2" x 5" or so) rectangular green ones with numbers, BIG numbers, in all four corners, and the signature of the US Secretary of the Treasury.

The best place to start is with the Ministries. There is a Law Firm(Glen Godfrey), somewhere in town. They are holding my land certificate. I could sell a portion or some other deal. Where are you looking to settle?

Area around Spanish lookout, Belize.

The owner said that they will supply with a contract, signed by a justice of peace. Is this sufficient?

The seller usually has a set up with a US escrow company who hold title documents and contracts till all monies are paid and both parties satisfied. The buyer then gets the title. If a property is being offered as owner financed in an on line ad or through an agent then the legalities should be set in place and you can just get your own legal person to check they are ok. Also you can and should ask to  get a copy of the Title deed which should be in the sellers  name which you can check that it  agrees with what is on file at the land registry.

Also while documents signed by a justice of the peace are legal you do need to know which one as once the honor is given it is given for life so there are a lot of them around Belize, Unfortunately some may fall on hard times and misuse the signing power. Just saying.

thanks for all the valuable information.

is the justice of peace signed and stamped valid in states?

theoretically yes, it is the equivlent to a notary, but we have had things quibbled from uk which uses the JP system  and notary's. equaly.

terrific wrote:

Also while documents signed by a justice of the peace are legal you do need to know which one as once the honor is given it is given for life so there are a lot of them around Belize, Unfortunately some may fall on hard times and misuse the signing power. Just saying.

there are two levels of JP in Belize. regular, and senior. some transaction require the senior level. we found this out when we were getting our documents for application for a marriage license together a few months ago. My friend a regular JP that i see often, sent us to a senior JP. I don't know what transactions require what, so ask the jp.

I never saw any level of Justice of peace. I got married here too and there was nothing mentioned like levels...

ska8er47499 wrote:

I never saw any level of Justice of peace. I got married here too and there was nothing mentioned like levels...

Hopefully you actually used a magistrate or senior justice of the peace, even if you did not know their full and legal title.

See BELIZE MARRIAGE ACT CHAPTER 174  http://www.belizelaw.org/web/lawadmin/P … cap174.pdf

very likely, because i could get the marriage license