Do Italians hire non-EU citizens at all?

Hi :)
So, I have been here in Napoli for 1 year now, and, omg, it really is impossible to find a job here! No matter how good English or good Italian I speak (yes, even if I speak Italian), no matter how flexible, versatile or intelligent I am, it really seems to be all worthless!

I just need to assess the situation in a realistic way. I am dentist and freelance translator (sounds like an odd "career couple", i know). I have settled all my legal documents, including registering in the "Dental Council" here (l'ordine dei medici e degli odontoiatri)...but there is still something that I don't understand.

Alright, everybody here in Napoli  actually admits it's dauntingly difficult to get hired here...
So, my question to all up-north Italians around here: is it the same in the North?
Do foreign dentists ever get hired?
What if I am a dentist, but I would simply just like to do something else, is the field of study absolutely crucial to get hired somewhere?

Opinions and experiences will be much appreciated.
Grazie in anticipio!

Italia is split up in two, almost since the beginning of its unified history (1861). The north is much more swiss-style like, whilst the south has been falling behind for decades. This doesn't mean that you move to the north and you'll land a job almost automatically. Moreover, this doesn't mean that it is impossible to find a job in the south either.

It depends on how you're actually driving your job research.

To sum it up: yes, there's a wider job offer here in the north, although it is not easy to land a job.

Thank you!

You're very welcome :)

Hi Maggie

Translator and dentist is an unusual mix, however, I am not surprised that you are struggling to find work in Naples, where the unemployment rate must be amongst the highest in Italy. Moving to the north of the country might improve your chances slightly, but keep in mind that you will be joining the many thousands of mainly young Italians from the south who migrate there in order to find work. Some of course travel further still to northern Europe in the hope of finding work. I know that many of them are like you, highly qualified and intelligent with no job prospects in the south. God only knows what the less well educated do to find work in Italy, I guess many of them find temporary work "al nero", which is what you may be faced with?

As for being "hired" as a dentist??? This is a fantasy, dental practises don't hire other dentists, unless you wish to be a dental hygienist or an assistant and even this is practically impossible, as small businesses in the south hire people they know or at the very least via "una raccomandazione". It's not what you know in southern Italy, it's who you know!

Italy, has been fucked by the EU, and becomes increasingly so by it's uncaring masters in Brussels that have ruined the country, in part by forcing it to take the Euro in its idealogical drive to create a united states of Europe and by forcing it to take 500,000 migrants, mainly from the African sub continent, who are either trying to get to Northern Europe or are simply making the unemployment problem worse by adding their numbers to those italians already desperate for work.

Are you British Maggie? Do you have a UK passport? If you are looking for serious work or perhaps a career, my advice is find a large travel case, pack up your things and go home, your place of birth, especially if its the UK, can't be as bad as they are here!

Maggie is an Egyptian Tony

Hi SimCity,
thank you for your message, however, I think I can be forgiven for assuming that the lady is at least a native English speaker with a name like "Maggie Steven"....doesn't sound very Egyptian though does it?

I am only going to the information given on her profile. Any name can be given. Furthermore as an immigrant yourself I think it's not appropriate for you to slate the EU as you have done.

Tony, first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to elaborate your answer this way. I appreciate that.

Okay, I'll go in a retrograde order. As SimCity pointed out, I am Egyptian, and to save you the eyebrow raising at the - again - odd name-nationality combination, many Christian Egyptians have Western names. Packing and going home (which I don't want to do)  might turn out to be an inescapable solution...but I just want to make sure I have explored all the options before deciding Italy is a dead end.

Well, the information and numbers you mentioned are interesting...
And the "raccommandazione" thing is definitely an established fact like you said, this is why I am seeking some information about the North, in case it's different.
Even the "al nero" jobs are extremely unreliable. Apart from the payments of such jobs being hardly enough to cover one's bare necessities, the locals here wouldn't even hire me as a waitress for God's sake!

Anyways, thanks again!

Hi Maggie

Sorry to hear that, but like I said, finding a job, any job in southern Italy is not easy, you may have more luck in the north of Italy. I believe that there are more opportunities there, but of course there will be considerably more competition.

I apologise for my assumptive error, I genuinely thought that with a name like "Maggie Steven" you might be a UK citizen, or at least an ex pat from a native English speaking country. I appreciate that there are many Christians in Egypt, although I didn't realise they had English sounding names, you learn something new ever day!

Anyway good luck!

Tony.

Hi Sim
Thanks for your comment, membership of the EU is a very thorny subject in the UK right now, if you're a Brit, then you will know just how. Most people of the United Kingdom are either vehemently remain or leave. Clearly I am in the Brexit camp, and I strongly believe that the EU will not exist in its current form in 10 years time. For example look at what is happening in Poland, Czech republic and especially Hungary. The EU's bureaucratic, unelected leaders have brought Greece, Italy and Spain to economic ruin and will not stop until Europe is one centrally governed state with Italy being little more than a locally managed region, which is what it is now - pretty much. This among other reasons is why 17.9 million people in the UK voted to leave, this is why most young Italians wish to leave the EU or at least exit the disaster that is the Euro.
I am critical (or as you put it "slate") of the EU for very good reasons.

Tony, I am kind of surprised you apologize for assuming someone was British. For me it's an honor! Actually, in Egypt, if one Egyptian tells another one, "Oh, you look/sound like a foreigner (Westerner)", this is one huge compliment, arising from our perception of Western people as prettier, smarter, more sophisticated and more respectful of human rights.
I went to a school founded by the American missions in Cairo, and we had some of our English books from Cambridge and Oxford. So, I've always felt the UK is a part of me that I haven't seen yet!
Regarding the English sounding names, you should also hear my cousins' names; Joy, Sandra, Christina, Michael, Andrew...etc :-)

Tony164 wrote:

Hi Sim
Thanks for your comment, membership of the EU is a very thorny subject in the UK right now, if you're a Brit, then you will know just how. Most people of the United Kingdom are either vehemently remain or leave. Clearly I am in the Brexit camp, and I strongly believe that the EU will not exist in its current form in 10 years time. For example look at what is happening in Poland, Czech republic and especially Hungary. The EU's bureaucratic, unelected leaders have brought Greece, Italy and Spain to economic ruin and will not stop until Europe is one centrally governed state with Italy being little more than a locally managed region, which is what it is now - pretty much. This among other reasons is why 17.9 million people in the UK voted to leave, this is why most young Italians wish to leave the EU or at least exit the disaster that is the Euro.
I am critical (or as you put it "slate") of the EU for very good reasons.

I'm not going to get into it as that involves politics. Which is against the rules of the site. But what you have said is complete rubbish.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Pm the member

Dear Maggie, your University degree has been accepted and it's valid in Italy? Do you have experience in the sector?
If so, in theory you should be able to work in Italy, if your visa allows you.
Naples is not the best place to find a job, move somewhere else in the North or center Italy.

But as general rule, that applies everywhere in the world, you need a good network of contacts  (not necessarily the "raccomandazione") to start to work.
I suggest you adapt and start from lower level jobs in your sector to build your "reputation" and customer basis. Then grow in the profession.
It's very hard and it takes an awful amount of time and patience.
It's hard everywhere. I spent years unemployed in Australia, as I refused to become a waitress or bartender or sell prosciutto and mortadella in a italo-australian deli!
I ended up teaching italian, as I have a university degree. So move from Napoli, give your italian adventure another try in center or north (Emilia Romagna or Lombardia).

@Sgrunta, thanks a lot, that was pretty motivating 😊

Wishing you good luck Maggie in your job search.
Thumb rule as I know is in any foreign country to get into first job is tough, meaning to say one need to put real and focused efforts. Be it effective networking or understanding local dynamics & prevailing job situation is the required traits. Plus luck factor to some extent.
Surprisingly, I am seeing conflicting reports about Italy from different people, some are saying North part is not good... like Crime is more, many African immigrants, crime against women, unfriendly Italians etc.., But same time Milan and other metropolis are offering jobs.., especially in IT and Software. Is these opinions are because of their individual preferences and high standard of living ?
Like Maggie said, it is a honor for her to be addressed as a Britisher or European..., a Asian might love the life style, infrastructure, medicare, standard of life in Europe.., be it Italy, NL, or France or Belgium or Germany.

But What we all need to see and consider some basic parameters in Italy:
1. Safety and Security in society, i.e., for non Italians and for women in general
2. Standard of living when compared to their home country.
3. Italians reception or acknowledgement of neighbors (foreigners), they don't have to love you or hug when you see them.. are they ok you living next to them ? or are they Anti ? Are you feeling threatened ?
4. Chances of finding Job, degree of toughness. (Consider my comments above)
5. How soon and good one can settle in Italy and become part of its society.., integration.
Last and most important ... Is the Italian Economy is ok..? going toward development path?

If  you get positive answers, then it is worth giving a good and sincere try and if succeeded then good for you.
I am a IT Consulting Professional by the way :)

Tony stop blaming the problem of unemployment issues in Italy on African migrants! You sound racist!