Resigning from job, they won't pay salary

I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I'd been working in Oman for 6 months, when I finally had enough of my company. (They're not a particularly good one). So, with trepidation and consulting a solicitor, I submitted my resignation letter. I gave them 30 days (as per Omani labour law)  and I thought I might get out of here unscathed.

Or so I thought, it turns out that the financial department is planning not to pay me for my final month of work. A month in which I've been doing many many hours of overtime and extra work.

I believe the reasons for not paying me are - because they need to recuperate the air fair  which they originally paid for to bring me to Oman (from Ireland). They also mentioned something about the visa.

If I do nothing they will essentially steal my last months wages (RO1,100). Can they do this? Is there anything I can do?

It depends on what is stated in your contract.Some firms stipulate in the contract that if the employee leaves before completing a year,the employer can recover cost of relocation ie. flight fare visa fee,medicals,initial accommodation etc.This is usually done on a pro-rata basis.Since you have done 6 months you may be liable for only 50% of the cost.If there is no such condition in your contract the deduction is illegal in which case you can register a complaint with Ministry of Manpower.You can do this online through: http://www.manpower.gov.om/Portal/eServ … viceID=233

Hi Roryselbysmith,

Without wasting any more time, head straight to your Embassy and explain your concerns, with documented evidence. Let the embassy officials speak to your employer. Unless you get some official involvement on your behalf, you would stand to lose.

I asked to see my contract and my boss said that she doesn't know or think there was one. Unfortunately I think she maybe lying. I don't know if I signed anything.

They sent me this email yesterday:

Visa cost to the company is 325 OMR.

Further, for replacement cost, the company has a policy to deduct one month salary.

So they will charge me money for a month of extremely hard work, one in which they made me do 12 hour days.

I'm just so exhausted and worried, can I do anything?

Hi Roryselbysmith,

Your employer is free to send you whatever email they wish. But as long as you have not acknowledged receipt and accepted it in writing, it means nothing and carries no risks or repercussions.

You must seek the assistance of your embassy for an amicable resolution of your situation. If at all, it is only them who could help you meaningfully.