Going out in Yaound�

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Yaoundé?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

There are a few good restaurants in Yaounde. In the Bastos neighborhood, you can eat good pizzas, lebanese food and good meat at LA SALSA. If you prefer Chinese, you can go to CHEZ WU. The most famous restaurant is Cafe Yaounde next to the British Commission: lots of people say they really like ti but the two times I've been I was a little disappointed. Another good restaurant is LA PAILLOTTE next to the new Mahima supermarket: it serves vietnamiese food.... There are also many local Cameroonian restaurants...
To keep yourself entertained, keep checking the program of the Centre Culturel Francais downtown which offers movie nights, discussions, book signings and shows. There's only one Cinema in town and it's not recommended for expats.
If you like sports, you can join the Club Noah for tennis and pool, the American School of Yaounde's recreational center (3 tennis, ping-pong, basketball and pool) or the Club Hippique for horseriding or Golf course. Lots of people just enjoying walking/running up and down Mt Febe on the weekends which is a great workout.
Yaounde feels safe and you can enjoy yourself but be careful at night when kids are kicked out of some 'day-shelters' and wander on the streets to beg or steal especially around the train station area.

Caroline,
    Thank you for that post it was very informative. The big question I have is that if my wife comes to Yaounde will there be things she can do when she is not with me? This may be a silly question to some but I am not familiar with life in Yaounde. I would also like to know if ther is good internet service in the city?

Thank you again,

Archie