How do you survive as an expat "Throw a gamble to be an expat"

Hello,

I just would like to hear some stories from someone who have done "throw a gamble to live abroad" with nothing in hand, not a job but with limited money in hand and came in as a tourist but want to live and be an expat in your country of choice.

Does anybody in here have done entering to a county on tourist visa and during stay they try to find a jobs? and their initial intention is to migrate but without any valid work visa to enter.

How does you do it and what kind of job you get at first to survive.

I do know some people have a successful story which they get luck but there also unsuccessful story behind it. i would like to hear from everyone who have done and gone through the rough time during their stay and looking for jobs until they get the work permits in any part of europe.

I would like to do something about this but I have no courage to do it, I need some inspire story to have a courage to do things i wanted to do.

I hope to hear from all of you :)

Hi I'm new here and am in the same boat .your questions are the same and I'm curious too as to others experiences

I moved to Indonesia from England with no serious plans, no clue about much and not all that much cash.
Sort of worked out for me.

Doing such a thing is extremely naive, bordering on reckless stupidity.
Fred is an exception: 99% of such ventures fail. Nobody wants to talk about failure, so you won't get their stories - only the very few who succeeded.
Also, almost no country welcomes such "no clue expats", so you'd have no proper visa after the allowed tourist visit period expires.
Ask yourself: Would you move to another city within your country without job, accommodation and knowing anyone there? If not, why would you consider this in another country, where it is 100 times more difficult???

I just noticed that you said Europe:
If you are EU citizen, you can freely settle anywhere without the need for a visa. That makes it easier, but finding accommodation, job, etc. will still require lots of effort, luck, time and money.

beppi wrote:

Fred is an exception: 99% of such ventures fail.

Only bordering on reckless stupidity? I thought I was as mad as a spoon but I did it anyway.

I looked at it this way, my business depended a lot on the pub trade and the boozers were failing at a crazy rate so work was disappearing all over the place. Mates in the same game were going bust every week so it was only a matter of time before I either joined them or tried a new business, neither held that much interest or had an reasonable chance of working in the timescale forced upon me.
I collected every penny I could, mostly through selling my gear and pretty much everything I owned and couldn't take with me, then booked a ticket.

I had advantages.
I had a wife to go to
I had a house that was bought and paid for.
I went to a tiny village where I could live well for a hundred quid a month, even managing to get a little fatter.
I have a very positive outlook, a great smile and I'm seriously sexy so I knew someone would hire me eventually.

Was I cracked to do it? Absolutely
Was I going to have a totally crap future if I'd stayed in the UK? Yes, a bloody terrible one.

Fred wrote:

I moved to Indonesia from England with no serious plans, no clue about much and not all that much cash.

On the contrary: You joined your wife in her home country, moved into her house there and started a new life.
This is still daring, but NOT what the OP had in mind (and what I called "reckless stupidity")!

It was reckless stupidity.
I didn't even know how to get a long term visa without paying the bent immigration officer a fat sack of cash.

I recorded him screwing me. Still got the tapes, something that shocked him next time he tried to rip me off.

Fred sent me your your tape so I can get a work visa while you do the screwing

Al8 wrote:

Fred sent me your your tape so I can get a work visa while you do the screwing

What a lovely offer.

Edit - :D

Well, it's a long time ago, and it's probably more difficult now. But in our 20s, and newly married, I lined up a job in Jamaica and we drove down to Miami from Toronto. Along the way, we decided to give ourselves two weeks in Nassau (Bahamas) to find something there; if we didn't get lucky, we would go to Jamaica as planned. so we parked all our baggage in a warehouse on the dock in Miami (in those days you could do that!) and told the man we'd phone and get him to send it to either Nassau or Kingston. In the event, I found a job with a trust company after ten days, and we got our stuff shipped over. The following week my wife got a job teaching at a government school, and we spent three very happy years there.

Our son's experience - in his 20s - was much more adventurous. I told his story in a blog-post called "Truning left at Galveston" a few years ago. He hitched a ride on a yacht heading north from our home island, backpacked around Mexico doing odd jobs in exchange for meals and beds until he reached the big city. There, he washed car-engines for a dollar an hour until he lucked into a modelling job - a profession entirely new to him. It's quite a story; here's the link to the blog-post:
http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/2014/ … eston.html

i did exactly what you asked. i decided to resign from my previous work, submitted my CV online, had 2 interviews with the company here via skype but none of them accepted me, both answers were the same, i should be in the philippines for easier process. so i sold my motorcycles and stuffs that i can't bring to the philippines, booked my ticket and flew here with PHP25,000 only and tourist visa. i had no job, no place to stay, no family but luckily had some officemates who moved to the philippines earlier than me. i heard that this country is cheap, even cheaper than in Jakarta. so i thought, PHP25,000 or IDR 8,000,000 back then was enough for me at least for 2 months. i was confident i would get a job soon. little did i know, PHP25,000 is not enough for a month if it's your 1st month staying here. i didnt know i should pay the deposit since it doesnt work that way in Indonesia if it's just a boarding room. i didnt know that those people said the philippines is cheap is actually way way more pricey than in Jakarta. so on my 1st day here in Manila, i spent PHP11,000 JUST for the deposit. left me with PHP14,000. i arrived here on early January 2016, started to work on March 1,2016 and got my 1st salary on end of march 2016. how can i survive with PHP 14,000 for almost 3 months?

i lost my weight, a lot just for me to survive. i only ate 1 can of sardines and 2 rice per day. or bought fishball from the streetvendor and rice, or if i can't afford those, i ate pandesal only for the whole day. i was glad i had my supportive friends. they lended me some to eat or for my transportation to attend the interview or to go to work. my mom told me to go home and no need to be ashamed if i can't make it here. i said no. i just started this.

now, i'm glad that i stayed. i'm glad that i decided to be out of my comfort zones.

was i stupid? yes
was i reckless? yes

but if i didnt do it, i wouldn't be the way i am now. i wouldnt be here. :)

amanda.O wrote:

i did exactly what you asked. i decided to resign from my previous work, submitted my CV online, had 2 interviews with the company here via skype but none of them accepted me, both answers were the same, i should be in the philippines for easier process. so i sold my motorcycles and stuffs that i can't bring to the philippines, booked my ticket and flew here with PHP25,000 only and tourist visa. i had no job, no place to stay, no family but luckily had some officemates who moved to the philippines earlier than me. i heard that this country is cheap, even cheaper than in Jakarta. so i thought, PHP25,000 or IDR 8,000,000 back then was enough for me at least for 2 months. i was confident i would get a job soon. little did i know, PHP25,000 is not enough for a month if it's your 1st month staying here. i didnt know i should pay the deposit since it doesnt work that way in Indonesia if it's just a boarding room. i didnt know that those people said the philippines is cheap is actually way way more pricey than in Jakarta. so on my 1st day here in Manila, i spent PHP11,000 JUST for the deposit. left me with PHP14,000. i arrived here on early January 2016, started to work on March 1,2016 and got my 1st salary on end of march 2016. how can i survive with PHP 14,000 for almost 3 months?

i lost my weight, a lot just for me to survive. i only ate 1 can of sardines and 2 rice per day. or bought fishball from the streetvendor and rice, or if i can't afford those, i ate pandesal only for the whole day. i was glad i had my supportive friends. they lended me some to eat or for my transportation to attend the interview or to go to work. my mom told me to go home and no need to be ashamed if i can't make it here. i said no. i just started this.

now, i'm glad that i stayed. i'm glad that i decided to be out of my comfort zones.

was i stupid? yes
was i reckless? yes

I heard this from someone awhile back. It goes something like this, 'Started from the bottom and now I'm here'.

Basically you gotta toughen up and that's the only way to get through obstacles in life.

QuidProQuo wrote:
amanda.O wrote:

was i stupid? yes
was i reckless? yes

I heard this from someone awhile back. It goes something like this, 'Started from the bottom and now I'm here'.

Basically you gotta toughen up and that's the only way to get through obstacles in life.

i believed it's Drake? hahaha

Eat everyday that's only you can survive as Expat... 😂😂😂

Fred wrote:

Same for me in Vietnam, actually. Doing OK now,

eodmatt wrote:
Fred wrote:

Same for me in Vietnam, actually. Doing OK now,

More fun that way.

It has its moments

Fred wrote:
beppi wrote:

Fred is an exception: 99% of such ventures fail.

Only bordering on reckless stupidity? I thought I was as mad as a spoon but I did it anyway.

I looked at it this way, my business depended a lot on the pub trade and the boozers were failing at a crazy rate so work was disappearing all over the place. Mates in the same game were going bust every week so it was only a matter of time before I either joined them or tried a new business, neither held that much interest or had an reasonable chance of working in the timescale forced upon me.
I collected every penny I could, mostly through selling my gear and pretty much everything I owned and couldn't take with me, then booked a ticket.

I had advantages.
I had a wife to go to
I had a house that was bought and paid for.
I went to a tiny village where I could live well for a hundred quid a month, even managing to get a little fatter.
I have a very positive outlook, a great smile and I'm seriously sexy so I knew someone would hire me eventually.

Was I cracked to do it? Absolutely
Was I going to have a totally crap future if I'd stayed in the UK? Yes, a bloody terrible one.

I have to concurr and say that UK is even worse now!

I survive just fine now. Maybe because I'm used to be expat since 18, all alone in a strange country. My tip is to make friends as soon as you arrive, get to know the culture and people's behaviour in your new country, have a job and a room, then everything makes easy.

I think success depends on how adventurous and adaptable you are. Who hasn't gone on a holiday and though "if only I could live here"? For my husband and I, nothing is permanent, we're always moving and willing to make sacrifices in our search for our best life. (Note: I didn't say perfect...it doesn't exist.) We are constantly learning to live with the disappointments and embracing the benefits of living somewhere new.  We're also prepared to cut our loses and move on, should it become necessary or more appealing.  We do what we can to minimize our losses (not shipping everything we own right away, when we come to a new place) and try to assimilate as best we can in our new environment.

If you have a sense of adventure or a burning desire/need for change then you can try it, but just be prepared for how difficult it is and don't put everything you have into the venture; only invest in it what you're willing to lose. (Kind of like the stock market.) (Have a backout plan.)

beppi wrote:

Fred is an exception: 99% of such ventures fail. Nobody wants to talk about failure, so you won't get their stories - only the very few who succeeded.
Also, almost no country welcomes such "no clue expats", so you'd have no proper visa after the allowed tourist visit period expires.
Ask yourself: Would you move to another city within your country without job, accommodation and knowing anyone there? If not, why would you consider this in another country, where it is 100 times more difficult???

Very bigoted and ignorant comments beppi.

How many new German citizens  have you said these things to in these last 2 years? Any?
Nearly 2 million arrived yet had no job,no visa,no accommodation,
no language skill and knew nobody.
Yet I see you offer criticism of those online foreigners who "99% fail".

Also ,I see from your travel history you are very well travelled.
Does that mean you were a " No clue expat"?

Those two million new German residents (they are not citizens) are refugees, fleeing a murderous war. They did not come voluntarily or with any prior consideration. Many of them, sadly, have problems integrating and stay poor and outside the normal society. If they had a choice, most of them would rather go home.
I welcome them and offer help (I am volunteering in refugee support.)

I always moved with a job lined up, usually had a temporary place to stay and found local contacts before arrival (this forum and organisations like Internations are excellent ways for finding friends abroad) . There are still enough unknowns in an international move and I certainly had no clue in many ways - that's part of the adventure - but there are methods to reduce unnecessary stress and I gladly apply them.

I also met many expats in various countries and, since expat psychology and intercultural issues are kind of my hobby, can confirm from own experience the scientific findings that over 60% of expats fail (meaning their expectations are not met at the new destination and they leave disappointed) and I personally have the feeling that good preparation (plus an open mind and a sense of purpose) is a major factor in determining success.

PEI Red wrote:

I think success depends on how adventurous and adaptable you are. Who hasn't gone on a holiday and though "if only I could live here"? For my husband and I, nothing is permanent, we're always moving and willing to make sacrifices in our search for our best life. (Note: I didn't say perfect...it doesn't exist.) We are constantly learning to live with the disappointments and embracing the benefits of living somewhere new.  We're also prepared to cut our loses and move on, should it become necessary or more appealing.  We do what we can to minimize our losses (not shipping everything we own right away, when we come to a new place) and try to assimilate as best we can in our new environment.

If you have a sense of adventure or a burning desire/need for change then you can try it, but just be prepared for how difficult it is and don't put everything you have into the venture; only invest in it what you're willing to lose. (Kind of like the stock market.) (Have a backout plan.)

Thank you for this wonderful advice. I have never been an expat in my life, I have always lived in my comfort-zone. I'm scared of the unknown, yet super excited!

beppi wrote:

I welcome them and offer help (I am volunteering in refugee support.)

I did a little of that.
I'll send the rest of the post by PM because it's too political for the forum

after spur of the moment decision i applied for a job in new zealand (im origionally from england) a week later i got the job via skype interview, sorted a 12 month working holiday visa and within two months i was in NZ. i arrived with no where to live but after living in a hostel for one month which was a bus ride away from the new job, i found a suitable room to rent. and in fact, i even left this job after just two months of working there as i found something completley different and so much more enjoyable! i lived there for the year (best year of my life! so far  ;) ) now i live in france - took a bigger gamble - i had a place to live but no job and didnt know the language well. it might not always be easy but go for your dream! of course much easier if you speak the language and have savings.  good luck :up::)

"don't put everything you have into the venture; only invest in it what you're willing to lose",its very true :top:

I am agree to this, and that is my plan but its the confidence I need and the jobs :)

Thank you for the advise.

amanda.O wrote:

was i stupid? yes
was i reckless? yes

I admire your venture and the courage you had. I have applied many jobs in european country and even at middle east, I have got responded by mostly from the recruitment agents which i think the possibility of getting the job is far from my expectation.

I will be trying until I will get something. However most responded I get is, they ask me to moved into the country for easier interview process which i need to have the right plan for it. money to survive for numbers of months until I get the job or else, go home without just a life experience out there.

Thank you, your experience is very inspiring and valueable.

Roopa Radhika wrote:

"don't put everything you have into the venture; only invest in it what you're willing to lose",its very true :top:

I am agree to this, and that is my plan but its the confidence I need and the jobs :)

Thank you for the advise.

Charisdaxter wrote:

after spur of the moment decision i applied for a job in new zealand (im origionally from england) a week later i got the job via skype interview, sorted a 12 month working holiday visa and within two months i was in NZ. i arrived with no where to live but after living in a hostel for one month which was a bus ride away from the new job, i found a suitable room to rent. and in fact, i even left this job after just two months of working there as i found something completley different and so much more enjoyable! i lived there for the year (best year of my life! so far  ;) ) now i live in france - took a bigger gamble - i had a place to live but no job and didnt know the language well. it might not always be easy but go for your dream! of course much easier if you speak the language and have savings.  good luck :up::)

you're lucky in a way, at times i lost confidence in proceeding something as my english writing is not as good as most professional people.

Seems it is works for you.

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : promoting freely your services is not allowed on the forum
Naura Nuralyn wrote:

... at times i lost confidence in proceeding something as my english writing is not as good as most professional people.

Yes, Naura, gambling on "going expat" in an English-speaking country is always much, much, harder for people who don't use colloquial English in conversation and proper (formal) English in writing. That's just a fact of life. You obviously know it, but many aspiring expats don't. When I advertised for clerical workers (back when I was working), fluency in formal written English was my first  requirement; I expect it's the same all over the world.

I moved to Korea, it didn't work out so well. When I moved to Vietnam, it was less troublesome, but still quite challenging.

Very true indeed

I suppose in a way I'm lucky in that I generally don't work in Vietnam, although I have worked on a few projects here in the past. Most of my work is overseas and always has been. I've been travelling the world since  was 19 y/o and have worked in some of the worlds "worst" places. So Vietnam is a luxurious place for me in many ways.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR